Health and Fitness, July 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, July 2019

Postby Harmony » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:21 pm

I just got a letter from my primary doctor. She is moving north, 2 towns up the highway. 1 town up would have been just fine. This one is a bit far. It's in the same town that I went to for all my eye appointments (except for that surgery which was further up in bigger city). I just counted all my pills (thyroid) and I see I have almost 2 months and 3 months with the refill. The other thing she covers for me I am ok because they ordered it wrong and I am cutting it in half so that one will last a long while.

Debating what to do. I wonder if they would let me do my lab work down here (it's a big organization) and I would only have to go up there 2 times a year. My mamogram is done at their local office too.

I'm going to look new location up and see how far it is. It's farther than my eye dr. for sure, not as easy a way to go.

She'd been wanting to switch offices as she moved up to the bigger city up north and this is somewhat closer to her. This dr. kind of annoys me in some ways, but I suspect she's no different than anyone else I've been to. The one I had before her I always thought of as a pill pusher. :roll:

Nobody I know has a good one to recommend either.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:15 pm

I was do e walking the dog by six today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:00 am

Sorry to hear harmony is maybe having to change drs.

The yellow dragon fruit was much sweeter than the pink. It has slightly larger seeds but still so tiny that is doesn't affect enjoyment. I made boats out of halves if the fruits and melon-balled the fruit into them to make "nests" of eggs". Gave one to dgd.

Also this week tried amaranth greens for the first time. These were a specialty of a carribean restaurant. Very good.

So variety has been fun lately.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:05 pm

I have done my walk with the dog this morning.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:05 pm

quick hi: HI

I hired a lovely dietician. She works with dd younger.
I have been out of control - it always happens before a blood test - I knew I had a blood test and put it off for 2 months.

this week: working on a couple things
no food after 7:30 - I am a nosher
turn off all electronics including tv 2 hours before bed - goal this week 1/2 an hour ahead to 1 hour ahead
get a fit bit or an apple watch - can't afford it yet. she wants to know about my sleep.
walk for 10 minutes - right after a meal
she wants me to have fun
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:46 pm

I walked the dog this morning.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:48 pm

Good for you bw2! Now that the distraction of vacation is over, I'm buckling down also and getting back to getting in my steps. Also thinking about starting with a trainer for some strength training. I actually ate pretty well while there - we didn't take or buy stuff we couldn't eat. Our dfriends who were with us in May were also there with their grandkids - I did eat some sweets with them. :roll: Also had a dessert at the end of an excellent dinner out last night. I had tres leches cake - it was good but the icing didn't agree with me later. I didn't finish it though.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:00 pm

I've decided to return to WOE that worked for me in previous years. I am not going to attempt to get everything set up and going but do it in baby steps.

This week I will focus on these things. I want to start with goals that I know I can do.
** Breakfast food in correct portions. My favorite breakfast jars fit all the requirements.
** No sugar No flour. This is a tough one for me to do for the first few days until I get used to it.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:03 pm

WTG, everyone! Sounds like you are getting back to what worked in the past and bw/2 is trying a new approach with the nutritionist.

I've been focusing on the quality of food, staying plant-based except for the dairy in my breakfast shakes. I have to give myself permission not to check all the boxes in the Daily Dozen app. When I do, even though the food is all nutrient dense, it's still too much for me. I gain weight. So, if I can check off the four fruit servings, the five vegetable servings, the exercise, supplements, nuts, flax seed, spices, and beverages, I'm happy with the Daily Dozen for that day. I usually get at least one legume and one whole grain too.

I have started grinding wheat and making my own bread again. Like HRH, my favorite brands seem to disappear regularly from store shelves and even become unavailable online. I do enjoy making bread and like knowing exactly what is in it.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am

RunKitty - I have fond memories of smells and taste of freshly baked bread. I used to buy wheat in bulk and grind it for use in baking. Enjoy the process and fantastic results!

I made it through Day #1 without sugar or flour. It wasn't easy but it happened.

I attended breakfast with the church family. They had cooked pancakes and breakfast burritos. I helped the kids fill their plates and cut up DGD8 food for her. I didn't eat but I did stay and visit with friends while they ate. I don't think anyone noticed that I wasn't eating, or at least they didn't comment. I had planned ahead and brought my breakfast jar with me and drank it while driving to church.

Like usual, I kept the table containing boxes of donuts organized for the church family. Making sure the donuts stayed covered (flies) and there were plenty of napkins available. Also disposed of the donut boxes as they were emptied. I didn't eat a bite of donuts. I gave a box of donuts away after the church was over. There was NO way those donuts were coming home with us.

I ate lunch of protein and vegetables surrounded by everyone eating a heavy carb meal.

I thanked DH for his desire to show me love by bringing me a treat every day. I explained that I needed him to stop bringing me bags of potato chips and M&M. I do appreciate his desire to spoil me but the results of me eating junk food every day aren't healthy. If junk food isn't in the house then I don't eat it. DH understood and wasn't offended.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Healthy Habits”