Health and Fitness, March, 2009

Share healthy living habits.
lucylee

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2009

Postby lucylee » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Thank you, BookSaver... you're right... if I could just keep up the pace of even one pound per month, I'd be FINALLY below 150 again... so, all is not totally lost after one week of pigging out on pizza.

I really should be exercising to try to relieve some stress. School is pretty tense right now.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Lucylee, you are a couple pounds ahead of me - no behind me - I'm struggling to stay in the 150's. Being home all day with kitchen at easy access is no picnic.

Harriet, you'd be wrong about my stamina level. I have none. I get tired out so easily it's distressful. My year of hobbling around on a sore foot did me in.

I simply must get better in shape. Today I took a bike ride, about an hour with 2 breaks. It was unbelievable how out of breath I got. Remember, we have NO hills around here.

I have a friend at church, she just got home from the hospital, she is my age and had a stroke! She is not overweight, she does not smoke.

So, while I am very concerned about my level of fitness, I still lack motivation to do anything about it. Stress over other things has my focus in a whole different direction.

Going to try to do some kind of moving exercise every day. If I change it daily to something different maybe I won't get too bored and stop.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Harmony, so you are out riding a bike for an hour.

Let me think.

:shock:

Land sakes, missus!!! You are doing great I don't care how flat the land is!!! In the first place, you have GUTS to get on the thing and ride. In the second place, it takes stamina to propel yourself for that length of time. AND ANOTHER THING, with every time you do something like that you are building yourself up. It's just not possible that you're not. Next time you could do more, etc., etc.

Instead of being bored, plan how you will come in here and brag. Say to yourself, "Harriet wouldn't even get on this thing, much less go out in public on it, hee, hee, hee." I give you permission. Out loud.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:31 pm

"Harriet wouldn't even get on this thing, much less go out in public on it, hee, hee, hee."

You can add me to that, too, Harmony! You go, girl!!!
I might POSSIBLY ride a bike if dh or ds were riding along with me... but all by myself... nah... I doubt it. I wonder how long it's been since I actually did ride a bicycle. :? Just hang in there... Harriet gives good advice, as usual... everything little thing adds up. You're getting stronger every day and it WILL help with the weight, too! Hang in there!!!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:25 am

Thank you for the encouragement, gals. I rode around on the bike a few blocks again last evening. Biking is the one outside activity I don't get so bored with.

My bike is nothing special, a cheap-ey WM one but it has hand brakes and 6 speeds. Yesterday it was windy and when I hit a head wind I could barely pedal it in 2nd gear.

Of course, this morning I had leg cramps as I was trying to get up. Ya think I'm outa shape? So with all the road crew here this morning I stayed inside and got on the eliptical instead, 5 minutes at #4 resistance. More than I've ever done before. My legs are like spaghetti noodles, cooked ones!

We did work on the brakes last night. DH took apart the cables and reattached. I only had one brake working, now I have 2.

Y'all remember, in Florida, people are more outdoorsey. Golfing, tennis, swimming, lots of walking, year-round. It is nothing to see an old person on a bicycle, and as they get too old they get on big huge tricycles, very funny to see. Many of my friends have ATV's or motorbikes or motorcycles. We have the weather for all this, even in the heat of summer early mornings are cool. I need to do this for my health.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:02 pm

Me again. I walked around for an hour yesterday afternoon. Started out at a brisk pace, trudged back!

Today I managed 5 minutes on the eliptical without any stopping.

Had to put sports creme on sore legs, hips, arm, shoulder and hand.

I'm looking forward to the time I can do this stuff without it hurting so much.

trish

Postby trish » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:49 am

Sorry that I have been totally missing in action.
WTG to those who are working on their health. You ladies amaze me and I have missed you.
I am at weight: 149
body fat: 15.9%
I have been lifting weights. My mom does not like having a daughter who looks like a body builder, lol.
I will try and check in a little more often.
A friend wants us to do a triathlon this year, that should be um... interesting. I can ride well but I don't run fast and swim poorly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:23 am

Jan. 5 -- 160
Feb. 2 -- 159.5
Mar. 2 -- 156
Mar. 9 -- somewhere around 155
Mar. 16 - somewhere around 154
Mar. 23 - 156
Mar. 30 - 157 (MORE :evil: :evil: :evil: )
-- This isn't going well at all, is it? My only slight consolation is that this IS the week Aunt Flo arrives.OTOH, I know I haven't been doing as well w/eating lately, AND exercise is next to nothing... so it's my own fault. I realize that, at least. I've just GOT to get past this feeling that I've got to have something sweet after every meal. This is ridiculous.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:01 am

Hiya, trish, glad to see you. Yep, with that body fat at 149 you do have a lot of muscle going on, so congratulations on getting where you wanted to go! Oh well, you can wear long sleeves in pink around your mother, no problem. :) What are you eating these days (the emphasis, I mean)? And how is dh doing? We'd love to hear from you more and hear about your classes.

lucylee, 156 sure seems like the new normal to me! You scooted under it when it wasn't TOM and then over it when it was. Seems like your body is claiming it! ;) Why not just try one thing, like, as you mentioned, no desserts for a time except those that aren't too sweet (there's always room for Jello, or whatever).

Harmony, good job on consistency, but there IS gain without pain, remember. Work up to this gradually!

I believe m-a-y-b-e I'm going to be able to say I lost the 2 pounds that were earmarked for March. We'll see. Having houseguests did NOT help much. We ate SO wrong, but we were SO stressed and pressed for time and energy we just couldn't help it. Sunday morning came and we just did McDonalds. Ugh. I'm not weighing or measuring or anything until later in the coming week because I don't need to see proof of temporary water weight - I know it's there! LOL

Dd29 and I did get in some good conversations about healthy meals.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:55 am

Good morning! Thought I'd pop in here and post my healthy goals and progress. Right now, I'm doing a 3 day rotation on my exercises: standing/floor/aerobic. Sundays are a day of rest. I'm also doing a 30-day raw diet which started Saturday night with a fast from 6 pm Saturday to 7 pm Sunday. Sunday I weighed in at 144. This morning I weighed in at 141.4. Didn't realize I was holding on to that much water weight. :shock:
:: Time & Space for My Dreams :: Slow & Steady for a Lifetime! ::

Return to “Healthy Habits”