Health and Fitness, September 2019

Share healthy living habits.
LadyMaverick

Re: Health and Fitness, September 2019

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:51 pm

He also like IF but not on a daily basis. Says for some people the body will slow down it metabolism so he suggests confusing it by doing IF off and on. He suggest 2 days on and 1 day off to see what happens.

I am trying to understand why some are against IF. I am not being argumentive, I truly don't understand.

My thought process is ...... everyone fast on a daily basis. Unless they stay awake and eat 24/7. it is almost impossible to not fast every day. If you sleep 8 hours then you fasted for 8 hours.

So what is the negative aspects of daily IF? The biggest con I've heard from many is that IF slows metabolism down. So does that mean they only want us to sleep & fast for one or two hours at a time? Where is the breaking point of safe fasting without slowing the metabolism down?

Do the medical professions consider it a healthy lifestyle if you sleep/fast for 8 hours a day and have a 16-hour window when you do eat? Do they really want us to eat for 16 hours a day?

Educate me, please.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:42 pm

I think the problem is that IF includes other forms of fasting as well as the eating window concept. Fasting two days out of the week or five days out of the nonth has not been shown to be more effective in weight loss than eating a lower calorie diet every day. The eating window concept just seems like common sense to me. I was doing it before I knew it was a thing. :D And any restriction of calories will cause metabolism to slow down.

I agree with walking/running outside (when possible) rather than on a treadmill. It's definitely not the same mechanics as running on a non-moving surface. And generally, people on a treadmill are distracting themselves from what they are doing by reading, watching a screen, or working on a laptop/tablet. Being mindful of what we are doing has real benefits, and, as Nancy noted, getting outside and moving is great for stress relief.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:07 pm

I wonder if the confusion is people think that daily IF means restriction or elimination of total calories?

I suspect the confusion is thinking IF means just one thing.

Because I do IF by limiting my window of eating I tend to forget about all the other ways of doing IF.

Note to self. IF could mean ADF, OMAD, TRF, FMD, etc. Don't assume it means a daily eating window.
1. Know what you want.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Jason is holding a nutritional workshop for his clients on Saturday so perhaps he will have more information on IF.

Remember when he was working for the Extreme Weight loss program he was able to help some people loose over 100lbs in a year.

I just want to lose 20lbs so I plan to really pay attention to what he says. I’ll let you know what I learn :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:04 pm

I walked the dog today, before it got hot.
In the afternoon helped h. Unload a few sheets of plywood for the she shed floor! :mrgreen:

Walked Fri. Also.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:39 pm

Sat. Exercise bike .
Sun. Walked the dog early before it rained.
Mon. Also exercise bike for 15 min. it rained, then later walked the ddog .

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Last week (ending last night) I had 62K steps. We did a lot of walking in Seattle and there were some killer hills. Although, 62K is only 10K more than my goal of 52500, which was 7500 steps daily. The challenge this week is keeping the steps up. I think I'll increase goal to 8K daily, however, that's 56K weekly.

My weigh was predictably up this this morning. We'll see what happens when I eat better and exercise and drink water reliably again. Kathryn said once that airline flights caused one to retail fluids - we were in the air 5 hours on the first flight yesterday.

I'm not discouraged, just realistic. In some ways, I dislike these trips because they offer so many eating/drinking opportunities.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Nancy - BWTG on being so faithful to get exercise in on a daily basis.

RR - How was the nutritional workshop?

Twins - Yes to being realistic. You are doing awesome with being consistent on weekly walking goals.

I am always inspired after coming here and reading these posts. I learn and am reminded of things that I want to do better.

Today is Day #9 of my 100 days of tracking, learning and observing what will change physically. During my first week I had some blunders (learning experiences) and some successes. I have a daily & weekly goal for most of the things that I am tracking. It might change but for now, I am tracking 10 things.
** Sleep hours
** Sleep score
** Weight
** Blood sugar (glucose)
** Eating window & # of fasting hours
** Calories
** Fiber grams
** Protein grams
** Step count
** Exercise minutes

Each one of these things was chosen because I am curious about how they affect me.

The first week was all about capturing information to establish a baseline.

My biggest surprise was that I am not getting enough fiber in my diet. My daily fiber goal is 25grams. I thought eating whole grains, fruit and vegetables every day would be enough to meet the minimum daily fiber recommendation. I don't know how to fix this other than taking OTC fiber supplements. I have started researching the healthiest & easiest way to add fiber to my diet using OTC product on the days that I don't get enough from the food. For now, I'm inputting my food into MPF and see what my fiber intake is for the day. If I haven't met my fiber goal then I add grams of ClearLax until I reach the goal. I don't think anyone recommends taking Clearlax on a daily basis so this is a short term fix until I can find a long term solution. If anyone has an OTC fiber recommendation I would love to hear it.

I'm eating whatever I want. I'm pleased with my compliance with inputting food into MPF. That means I weigh almost everything that I eat so i will stay accountable to myself. When I write about weighing my food, it sounds restrictive. However, I like the act of weighing food. I find it satisfying to know exactly how much I'm eating.

My weekly calorie goal is 8400 which is an average of 1200 calories per day. Doing this resulted in a 3.6 lb weight loss the first week. I want to lose about 2 lbs a week but I know it isn't uncommon to have a big drop the first week. I'm going to keep this same calorie goal for the 2nd week and see what the weight loss results are. If I am losing weight too fast then I'll adjust my calorie goal up.
1. Know what you want.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Lady M, sent you an email. Sounds about what my goals are as well. Though I might have my calorie goal a little high. Speaking of MFP, think I should go get in at least one walk today. I'll probably go again after dh goes to his steak roast. Takes me about 2,300 steps to walk around the larger loop here. I'll have to do the smaller loop later and see how many steps that is. I definitely need to get my step count up.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Dee, I am so glad you are feeling so much stronger since your heart rate has increased. Like you, I cannot believe no one noticed it before or thought it was a problem. Makes no sense with the hospital stays and the previous rehab visits. Glad you can get your steps in now.

LadyM, the easiest way to naturally increase your fiber might be to replace some of the animal protein you are eating with legumes.

My record keeping is pretty simple. I have kept a running log for years. I write down the number of miles I run each day, the weekly mileage, and daily weight. That's about it. My phone app also keeps track of steps and flights of stairs and I have minimums for those every day, but don't write them in my running log. I did note the total miles for Saturday last week though. We went to a boat festival so I got up at 5 a.m. and ran two miles before we left. My total number of miles for the day was 9.3 with over 23K steps. I realized that that used to be a normal day's total when I was working at the dog boarding and training facilities. That was good exercise and I got paid for it too.

Twins', glad the weather held out here so you could get in all those steps up and down our hilly city. It's been raining since you left.

Return to “Healthy Habits”