Health and Fitness, September 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, September 2019

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:46 am

Awww, RunKitty, I didn't realize you were in that area! What a beautiful place - we loved the visit!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

I have been working on getting h to have one of each food group of each in his lunch instead of mutiples of some.
Like one fruit, one dairy, etc. Like chesee only on sandwich for example..
I have walked the dog, and we hearded the neighbor's dog back home that was out and up the street tring to get back in the wrong fence.
Thurs. I have walked the dog.
I walked the dog a short walk and mowed the grass for my exercise.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:29 pm

LadyM..

I learned a lot from my workshop. However I’m coming off a 3 day migraine and am in recovery mode.

I’ll post more when I’m feeling better.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 am

Oh dear! Feel better soon, Ramblin'!

I agree that confusion with I.F. statements is often because the word "fast" now means nearly anything!

I was reading about research into the Biblical eating pattern of Daniel and friends in Daniel 1:8-16. What a surprise to find one team of researchers called it a "Daniel Fast" in their title. :?: Um... .. no. It was an all-you-care-to-eat and whenever-you-care-to-eat-it study! There were no quantity or time-frame restrictions, either in their study or in the scripture. So they were using the word "fast" to define just a restriction on one type of food. They might have heard the phrase "Daniel Fast" other places and considered it common usage, but, hey, isn't it time to correct that misconception if you're writing a scientific paper? lol

There are two conditions I've heard about being negatively affected with IF : diabetics who may have a genuine need for regular meals to keep blood sugar stable, and gastritis/acid reflux sufferers who may have discomfort without having food in their stomachs pretty regularly. HRH is on the line with type2 and having his first meal rather late in the day doesn't bother him, but he may not be a good gauge.

Thanks, RunKitty, for the info on the audio you have. I found a recent you-tube published yesterday, just 18 mins, about the book. I purchased the book, so that will be a nice surprise when it arrives in a few months. Happy for your dh, btw.

:D I ate a new thing (love that, since a different plant may have variety nutrition that our bodies will relish). One of my own passionfruit fruits ripened and I sat with that and ate it outside while the hens roamed. Hard to eat, but sweet. Reminded me of trying to eat wild grapes such as muscadines, scuppernongs, in that the many seeds have a serious hold on that fruit, and your mouth is kinda like :? ! Very tasty small bits if you work at it, though! I think there are varieties that are a little easier, but the bird who left this vine's seed for me didn't have one of those! I did have passionfruit juice once before when HRH and I were on island of Dominica on honeymoon, but we were never sure they really juiced the fresh fruit and were pretty sure it was a mixed-fruits juice, anyway. We actually have a photo of that moment, which is such a favorite of dd21's that she has it in her room.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:36 pm

We had that passion fruit vine for a while and had a lot of the fruit. Yep, lots of seeds with a bit of pulp around them. I would scoop them out into a strainer and use the back of a spoon to push the pulp through without the seeds. But mine were a bit sour like a grapefruit. Lady next door who gave us the vine said hers were really sweet. It must have been something with my soil. We got tired of all the leaves falling, it's a messy vine, and when I pruned it back it died. :cry:

I had a Dr. once tell me to eat Daniel Bread (recipe is I believe in the Bible somewhere) and our health food store carries it. It's very fiber heavy bread with all kinds of grain in it, spelt I remember; but at this point I don't remember what we were talking about and why he recommended it! It was Sunny's doctor once when I was up there with them, years and years ago!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 am

Today is Day #15 of my 100 day challenge with myself. I now have 2 weeks of data to use in seeing how changes affect my health. It isn't much since it is a short time frame but the learning process can at least begin.

I am motivated by tracking and analyzing the actual numbers and watching what happens. Recording the facts and seeing the results make it real to me. This week I ate some ice cream while staying within my goals for all categories. However, the next day my blood sugar jumped up 20 points higher. Duh……..

Positive results -
** Weight continues to go in the right direction. I have lost 5.1 lbs in the past 2 weeks.
** Fiber goal was reached 6 out of 7 days this week without having to use OTC supplements. Adding a cup of beans to my daily intake was the solution I was seeking. The added benefit is beans are a great food to eat in other areas beside fiber.
** Heartburn & GERD has greatly improved.

Fiber thoughts……After I did more research about fiber I realized that my daily fiber goal was too high. I was using the general guideline provided by the U.S. Institute of Medicine. It recommends 25 grams of fiber each day for women under the age of 50, and 21 grams of fiber each day for women over 50 years old. That seemed too broad for me to believe. I'm wondering if a 100 lb woman needs the same amount of fiber as a 300 lb woman? Nah…..I'm thinking not. Further research shows according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you should consume about 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories you consume. That sounds more believable to use as the baseline. I am totally okay with exceeding fiber goal, I just want a number to use to not go below. I used this formula in the spreadsheet to determine how many grams of fiber to set as my daily goal. I'm eating 1200 calories so the formula is =(1200/1000)*14

Protein thoughts…..The amount of protein needed has been determined by body weight until recently when the studies show older people (aka…Me!) should have a different formula to determine the correct amount of protein. The most commonly seen guideline is ….Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA): 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight per day. However, after reviewing additional evidence, an international group of physicians and nutrition experts in 2013 recommended that healthy older adults consume 1 to 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight daily — a 25 to 50 percent increase over the RDA. (That’s 69 to 81 grams for a 150-pound woman, and 81 to 98 grams for a 180-pound man.) Its recommendations were subsequently embraced by the European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism. I use this formula in the spreadsheet to set my daily goal =(weight/2.2)*1) I am unsure whether to use 1 or 1.2 so I'm choosing the lower amount. This is going to be a big change & challenge for me to get that much protein in each day.

Carb thoughts……My biggest concern that I want to put some focus on = My blood sugar #'s are continuing to bounce between pre-diabetic and diabetic numbers. This week I added carbs to my categories being tracked. I suspect carbs are a key component to getting blood sugar #'s to come down. I have no intention of going low carb because vegetable & fruits have carbs. What I want to do is reduce carbs without giving up eating healthy food and see if that will be enough to reduce blood sugar #'s.

Next week.....I will be traveling 5 days this next week on a mission trip. I expect that keeping up with my detailed tracking will be a big challenge. I have decided worst-case scenario is I block out these 5 days and not use their data. I will be sleeping on a bunk bed in a dorm room so I assume my sleeping will be compromised. Food will be provided so the opportunity to make good choices could be limited. Regardless of how those 5 days turn out (health-wise) I want to not get discouraged and simply start again when I get back home. I want to treat these 5 days as a bump in the road and not a total wreck.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:36 pm

I have walked the dog this morning.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Did daily walks with the ddog this week.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Nancy - BWTG on being so consistent on your exercise!

Today is Day #22 of the 100-day challenge with myself. As expected, traveling had an impact. Some categories like minutes of exercise and step count were super easy to achieve. Other categories like sleep suffered.

I give myself an excellent mark on capturing everything I ate into MFP. I love trying new foods and took full advantage of being in NYC to taste the foods that I had heard about. Chinatown, Little Italy, NYC pizza, cheesecake, etc. My taste buds exploded from all the new-to-me foods. It was a balance of trying them all and limiting portion sizes to keep the damage to my nutritional goals minimum. My daily calories for the week averaged 1342 so I was over my goal but not horribly so. I had no expectation of' losing weight while traveling but I wasn't pleased when I step onto the scales this morning to see a 5.3 lb gain. Logic tells me there is NO WAY I can gain 5 pounds by eating 1000 calories too much so I am hopeful the scale to be more realistic in the next few days.

ANYway, I am back on track and ready to see what the next 78 days of the challenge will reveal.
Last edited by LadyMaverick on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:29 pm

LadyM, Kathryn always reminded me that flying causes water retention and that my weight would level out in a day or two. You'll be fine, you were so active!

BTW, I weight daily and my scale reports the result to MFP. When MFP reports a weight loss, it's usually a downward fluctuation in response to an upward fluctuation a day or two earlier.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”