Health and Fitness, October 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2019

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 am

I’ve stayed on my eating plan but haven’t weighed yet, won’t do that until Tuesday

Know I’ve lost inches if not weight because I am wearing shorts comfortably that I couldn’t wear before I started.

Harriet... the original Jersey Mike and my grandfather, who would have been 117 today, were great friends.

My grandfather owned a dinner in the 40’s and Mike had a sandwich shop on the boardwalk at Jenkins Beach in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.

One of my moms first summer jobs was working for Mikes and it was where she met my father.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Going up and down ladder painting was my exercise today.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:35 pm

I've been watching lots of youtube videos titled, "What I Eat in a Day", so here's min. I don't know the macros, calories, or grams of things. I try to check off as many servings as I can on the Daily Dozen app. I usually get between 18 and 22 out of 24.

Breakfast:
A cup of V8 with ACV and turmeric
Almonds and walnuts
Smoothie with almond milk, protein powder, kale, spinach, chard, banana, amla powder, and ground flaxseed

Lunch:
Salad with kale, spinach, chard, beets, broccoli, chick peas, hummus, and almonds
Bowl of blueberries
Later:
Piece of homemade whole wheat bread
Tea, unsweetened, iced or hot, all day
Fruit smoothie made with a bit of soy milk and seven different fruits

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 pm

RunKitty - I love seeing your "What I Eat in a Day"! Thank you for sharing it.

I was talking to DH today about how different each of our bodies are. I took a 24-hour break from my focus on health and my body went bonkers. Literally. Ten out of 11 categories are not performing well. My body is apparently so sensitive that it will take me several days to recover and get back on track.

I watch DH do so many things that work well for his body but would absolutely destroy mine. And the kids!?! Their bodies handle an amazing amount of stuff that I can't even think about doing.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 pm

I took a 24-hour break from my focus on health and my body went bonkers. Literally. Ten out of 11 categories are not performing well. My body is apparently so sensitive that it will take me several days to recover and get back on track.

I watch DH do so many things that work well for his body but would absolutely destroy mine.

LadyM, so true so true. HRH took a break from his scrupulous attention to uric acid levels and now "apparently so sensitive that it will take several days to recover" just as you wrote. He is having to go back on a med for a while, that he thought he had finished for good. Sigh. What was it Snoopy used to say? Auuuuuugghh!

RunKitty, all the viruses in your house are going on unemployment. Wise for a runner to have beets. I am much more of a starch girl than you, I believe. How much amla powder are you using in your smoothies? Additions to my smoothies lately have been maca and cacoa, and with the frozen cherries I appreciate the cherry-chocolate flavor. (Shhh... ... don't tell that I enjoy my greens smoothies quite that much.)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:51 pm

back from the gym. Made my first big goal so now I can wear my earrings I order a while back. After I come back from both of my trips I will be training three days a week which I am excited about.

I will be able to stay on my eating plan while Sweetie and I are gone. However, There's not much I can do when I go to my mom's. She usually eats very healthy, but has cereal for breakfast in the morning. I usually eat eggs in the morning, not cereal. However using her stove top usually causes her stress. she now keeps most of her stuff that she needs on what little counter space she has so she can reach it. Any changes in her routines really stresses her out, which I totally get, but she can get nasty at times. So I will just go with the flow.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:10 pm

I have walked the ddog, bundled up on a blustery day.

Had a yummy zuchinni egg & chese scramble for one meal today.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Harriet, I'm right with you enjoying the greens smoothies; they are probably my favorite meal of the day. Cherry-chocolate sounds delicious!! We are definitely going to have to try that. We had lots of cherries through the summer, but need to buy some frozen ones now.

We put one teaspoon of amla per serving in our smoothies. DH goofed one day and put two tablespoons in instead. It was quite noticeable, but not unpleasant at all. The antioxidant power makes it easy to forgive a slightly sour taste. With the correct amount, I hardly notice the taste anymore.

I'm not at all against starchy vegetables or whole grains. My priorities are to get all my servings of fruits and vegetables, and at least one or two servings of legumes. By the time I've consumed all of those foods, I'm quite satisfied and don't usually want anything else for the day. The other day I had both a piece of toast and some steel-cut oats......very yummy. Today I roasted some brussel sprouts and baked some yams. I've been craving them because the guy whose channel I've been watching eats two or three baked sweet potatoes a day. He calls himself an intuitive eater, and I think I am sort of one too.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Reviewing my data from week #6 (days 36-42) in the 100-day….what will change?
My first reaction is I did HORRIBLE! My overall score was 66%
My second reaction is the facts show I have did not have a good week, but it wasn't HORRIBLE.
I struggled big-time but I didn't give up. I kept logging and tracking regardless of how I was doing.

What I am taking away from this week filled with bloopers.
My body rebels when carbs get too low. There is pleasure in carbs! I like pleasure! I'm not sure if it was the attempted 7% drop in carbs that set me up for a week of bloopers. All I know is I did not do well with trying for 20% carbs. The carbs and blood sugar are definitely tied together. My blood sugar went up this week matching the carb bloopers. If I didn't need the carbs to be low for Blood Sugar then I most definitely wouldn't be fighting them.

Looking at the average of this past week's daily scores show…
** Sleep - Excellent. I averaged 7.97 hours of sleep this week
** Sleep quality - Good. 86 sleep score
** Weight…ehh. I lost .2 lbs. Basically I stayed the same
** Blood sugar - …eehh. The average showed going up 3 points. I had 2 high days that were firmly in the diabetic range.
** fasting hours - ok. I guess. I averaged 16.53 hours. My goal was 17 hours.
** Calories - okay. Average was 1218
** Fiber - Excellent. The average was 20 grams
** Protein - Too much! The average was 101 grams. My goal was 87
** Carbs - Too much! The average was 87. My goal was 61
** Steps - 7821 steps. (goal was 8000) I had 2 horrible days which brought my average down. Otherwise, I'm pleased with my effort.
** exercise - 45 minutes. (goal was 60) Again 3 bad days brought my average down. The other 4 days I did awesomely.

Reminding myself that I'm doing this 100-day effort to learn. I don't expect or seek perfection. I want knowledge about how my body reacts to changes in various categories.

Looking ahead to next week. *sigh* We will be traveling 3 days with almost no control of where we eat. I love to try new-to-me things and DSon responses to that by taking us to places that are outside of our normal. Hopefully, I can minimize the damage done to my health scores while still enjoying every experience together. Maybe not, but a girl can dream!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Did at least 20 min. In the garden this morning,
fall clean up taking out temp. Pumpkin fence.
Digging out toms. Zuchinni etc that have been frozen.
Putting away stakes in the plant cage.
Walked the dog briskly on a med. Long walk.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Healthy Habits”