Health and Fitness, October 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2019

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:03 pm

LadyM, next week consider it a learning experience on how to eat well and enjoy new things and stay on track! None of us are perfect.

Ya'll keep hitting "Like" on MFT when I weigh in - you do know that that little bit of weight loss follows a day or two when my weight is up and I'm really not losing any weight?

Actually, I did register a new low this week but generally, my weight is staying in the same range. I haven't moved it over to the spreadsheet to look at the moving average, but I think I'm still in the same range.

This week I need to get my walking back. My steps were down the two days after Rosh Hashanah, and I think I've hit 8K steps only once since then. I'm still hitting 7K a lot of days but I need to consciously get my steps in. The cooler weather should be helping...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:10 am

DH was at cardiologist today and of course I went with him. We got lots of information that was good for both of us.

The nurse practitioner told us there is no such thing as pre-diabetic. I have read very similar to this on the internet. A very low % of people who are told they are pre-d results in one having an upcoming problem. Apparently the number to watch when diagnosing is the fasting blood sugar. Since mine has been 105 the last 3 times she said I am diabetic but not bad enough to require medicine yet. My A1c is still ok, lower than DH's. So... I really need to get my weight down. I am trying, but find it so hard.

New info: they are in the midst of a drug trial for a different type of cholesterol. It's ___something A___ (I don't remember specifically which type of cholesterol) but it's something they do not test for because up to now there is no medicine to attack this type. They are testing people who have had heart problems to see if their number is higher than "normal" and if so the people in the test group either get the drug or a placebo. This drug has been approved but they are testing it against recurrent heart attacks.

DH's blood was drawn to see what his level is, and if it is high (I hope not) he will be in this study. It's been going on for a while and if he's included should go on for a few years. Apparently all the regular statins and other things for Cholesterol do not help with this other type of cholesterol.

Today his heart looked good to them. His tiredness I see so often is his age...and the nurse practitioner said he needs to slow down. I wanted her to write that down! :roll:

As of now he is off that very expensive medicine. I've come to accept that we must take medicines even if we do not want to. I always thought let's do vitamins and minerals and eat healthy and exercise...but we've crossed that line into needing more help than that. We'd probably both be dead if we didn't give in and listen to our doctors.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:27 pm

I walked the dog.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Ya'll keep hitting "Like" on MFT when I weigh in - you do know that that little bit of weight loss follows a day or two when my weight is up and I'm really not losing any weight?

I'm guilty of hitting "like" every time when I read a post on MFP. I know I have read them all when I come to a post that I have already liked. It is my way of bookmarking the MFP posts. :)

told us there is no such thing as pre-diabetic.

she said I am diabetic but not bad enough to require medicine yet.

Interesting. I had never heard that said about pre-diabetic. I am very interested in this subject so it prompted me to do some reading. I looked at the CDC website & diabetic website to see what they had to say about prediabetes. We discovered that once DH got the official diagnosis of having diabetic his ability to get life insurance dropped significantly ....aka to nil.
I wonder if pre-diabetic is a way around that?

DH had a checkup with our family doctor and he was happy to hear the doctor say "You're doing great!" As much as DH hates to take the many prescription medications, they do seem to be helping. All of his test results are coming back good.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:03 pm

LadyM, when I looked around seeking solutions for this, I came to several places that admit this term is just the latest "fad". From the doctor's office yesterday, I got that if my numbers are outside of the range, then I got a problem. It's not going to be, it's what it is. But apparently it has to get to a certain point before its medicated. It's only a small percentage of people labeled pre-d that go on to develop the actual disease to be medicated. My fasting is just a few points too high. My A1C was still perfectly normal. DH's is the other way, his fasting is ok his A1C was higher.

I take this all to mean we both just need to be more vigilant. I need to get rid of this excess weight. I'm sure there will be differing opinions on all of this. I see that the CDC still talks about pre-d. They do say not everybody goes on to become full blown diabetic. They just don't give numbers about this.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:18 am

I have a new can do attitude this morning. Hoping my new team can help me figure this out now.
Learning how to deal with no bed time snack this week tweaking my p m nite x dose.
Had another bs crash in the nite sigh.
The diab. Ed. Person was trying to tweak my day time med dose, had to talk to dr. 1st.

Activities. Dishes are done. It is raining. I am glad I got things put away yesterday beforehand.
Got up and got laundry going and painted on my new sign board project.
A rain walk is up for exercise today.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Nancy, if you are eliminating your nighttime snack, is that why you're having lows in the night?

DH had another set of lab tests done last week and today got those results. This time his BS and A1C was absolutely perfect, especially since the tests were done non-fasting. If only my numbers were just as good. I am really trying hard with my diet. Weight down 1 lb. I'm claiming it! Stayed off a few days.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:04 pm

I walked the ddog.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Four days running I have gotten in my 8K. While I was working on the house, I didn't need much more than walking the ddog twice a day and my work at home. Now, I'm needing three or four laps around the neighborhood in the p.m. to finish up my steps!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:28 am

Have been reducing pm dose and still had lows, so had a snack last nite. Had to push pause on that till the week end.
Hormones could be a factor. It is puzzling, the diab. Ed. Person was wondering if I am still having some insulin produced from my pancreas.

I have done 25 min. On the stat bike.
In my # range barely with only one point to spare this morning.

Return to “Healthy Habits”