Health and Fitness, November 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, November 2019

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:49 am

It's the month for giving thanks for our bounty! The colorful cornucopia comes to mind.

Of course, sometimes the bounty around us can be less than friendly. Our bodies assume we have to worry about scarcity, but our problems these days, in the "western world" at least, are the diseases of affluence. So our helpful bodies are storing for us, while we sit at a banquet table any time we'd like.

The "bounty" of the Halloween candy is over. Do you have any you need to hide, dole out slowly, or even toss? Are there aisles in the store and sale signs you need to avoid? (smile)

How will the change of seasons change your menus in the coming months? Have you preserved any foods that will be pulled out for upcoming meals? RunKitty mentioned sweet potatoes (a favorite of our family) last month and got me to thinking about the seasonal foods. (and that we're generally blessed that those can almost be found year-round) I noticed the honey or champagne mangos are back in the stores here after being absent in August and September. Did anyone make something delicious from the pretty pumpkins or winter squashes?

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2019

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 am

No candy in the house except for my > 70% dark chocolate. The AH WOE suggests that up to 1 oz daily is okay and even drizzles it over fruit.

I am on track with my steps this week, too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:26 pm

We have plenty of caramel apples we bought for trick-or-treat, and I've been enjoying them. Not exactly the most nutritious, but nutritious enough to make a nice snack.

The new food I tried in November was "Japanese sweet potato" (light-colored flesh, purple-red skin). I have seldom even seen any but the healthy foods store near us started carrying them recently. These tasted absolutely delish and were pretty in recipes cut into cubes along with orange ones. I want to try the ones that are
purple all the way through, but I suppose that's something that's really not in my area yet. Sweet potatoes of various colors are the food that makes up almost 70 percent of the traditional Okinawan diet. And are ds' favorite food. I think it would be fun to have some of the purple ones in a pretty dish for holiday meals. HRH says one of these days he'll go with me back to the international market about 40 mins away to see what their produce dept has - I'd be waiting in the car to go!

Did start putting amla powder into my smoothies. There is such a concoction in there, I guess :lol: , that I don't seem to taste a teaspoon-full at all. I'm thinking the tartness is balanced by banana. I am assuming that I really boosted the antioxidant power of the meal with that.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 pm

Glad you are using the amla, Harriet. Have you watched Dr. Greger's video about it?

The guy I've been following on youtube absolutely loves the white flesh Japanese sweet potatoes. He says they taste like vanilla cake. We have been eating lots of the regular orange ones lately. Seems fitting this time of the year.

We have added maca and hemp seeds to our morning smoothies.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Today is the second anniversary of my 2017 Health and Fitness challenge to run two or more miles six days a week and three or more miles one day a week. I can't believe how many changes there have been in my health and fitness since I challenged myself two years ago. I just naturally started making better food choices and was able to meet my weight loss goal within six months. I have easily kept the weight off and am four pounds under my goal weight today.

We have changed, step by step, from eating mostly vegetarian with occasional poultry or fish, to eating a totally plant-based diet. We are loving it!! I really didn't think I could give up whey protein, cheese, or yogurt. It turned out to be no sacrifice at all. We found a great plant-based protein powder, coconut milk yogurt is delious, and I don't miss cheese at all. All the delicious plant foods just crowded out the less healthy ones. No pain, all gain healthwise.

Thanks again to Harriet for issuing that health challenge two years ago. You and your yummy sounding meals have been a real inspiration!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:22 am

Got plenty of exercise did 30 on the stat bike, 20 in the yard raking leaves, plus I walked the dog.
Budgeted for a few pieces of candy h & I shared a packet of Rolos.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 am

WTG, Run Kitty. You have made such wonderful changes and they are sticking!

I wish I could still run, but I think my knees would scream for mercy!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Walking is great too, Twins'. Whatever works for you....:)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Today I raked leaves this morning, just after lunch, and then later this afternoon did 20 on the stat bike.
Had one piece of candy a mini, bar, the candy is gone.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am

I absolutely love coming here and seeing the result of concise decisions and consistent effort. Congratulations!

I don't have much to report other than I'm not giving up. After getting clobbered by halloween sugar overload, I am being intentional in fighting to get back to the 100 day tracking of healthy habits. Yesterday I accomplished 27% of them. That number looks bleak but I'm celebrating it because it is a start.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Healthy Habits”