Health and Fitness, November 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2019

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:05 pm

LadyM, I'm so sorry you were clobbered!! It's an epidemic, I know that. Also very difficult to look away from all the 50 percent off sales right now. yipes.

RunKitty, at first I thought the answer to your videos question to me was yes. But when I looked it up there were several, and sure enough, I discovered nope, there was one I hadn't seen, "Amla vs. Drugs", so thanks I did get some new-to-me info out of that. What is the powder you chose (I realize this is "so far" and you might change to different ones) and who is the fellow who eats so many sweet potatoes?

Balloons falling, confetti flying, and the crowd roars for the two-year mark of RunKitty's exercise plan. 8-)

I looked up the fully purple sweet potatoes on A-river and decided not to pay that price :shock: but I'll keep looking around. A few folks offering seeds/eyes ... ..hmmm. Ds might be interested in that.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:55 pm

fully purple sweet potatoes

This caught my attention because today I harvested some of the sweet potatoes and they were bright purple! I remember buying a couple of different color sweet potatoes from the health food store last spring and sprouting them to get the slips to plant. I'm definitely going to do this again!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:12 am

That is so cool that you have purple sweet potatoes, LadyM!! The youtube guy really wants to try them, but he is in the UK and hasn't found them yet.

Harriet, the brand of amla we are using is Terrasoul.

Thanks for the celebration for the running habit. I think the mental benefits outweigh the physical ones. Getting out into nature every morning is priceless.

I hesitate to give you the name of the youtube channel. I love this guy, but his language is not PG. The British accent and his age make it easy for me to overlook his choice of words. Until recently he was working with patients in clinics as a nutritional therapist. He does a lot of "what I ate in a day" videos. His meals look delicious and I've gotten lots of good ideas from him. So, the channel is Healthy Crazy Cool. Don't watch it if there are children in the room. He actually reminds me very much of our younger son; they have a lot in common.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:39 am

Well the good news is I maintained my weight while visiting at home. Still keeping my eye on my Cmas goal. Will start back with my trainer, 3 days a week started my next Monday.

I need to work on drinking more water and getting my steps in. I don’t drink the same amount of water in the winter as I do in the summer so it is a challenge for me. And now that it’s staying cooler and darker in the mornings and my best sleep occurs during my 4-6am hours I have the I don’t wannas to get up, especially since my sleeping pattern during the Apr-Sept Months sucks.

My eating is on plan though I’ve gone back to the one I was most successful on. I missed my morning flax muffin and found IF eating just doesn’t agree with me. Gonna stick with what works. I know if I just follow the plan it will work. Plus I can have a glass of wine or a square of 86* chocolate on occasion. The rest is the basics... portion size, water, protein, veggies and cheese. I don’t do much dairy as it causes joint inflammation, so I leave cheese alone.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:03 pm

I did 30 min. On the stat bike.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:48 pm

RunKitty, I didn't make myself clear. I meant the change you made to a plant protein powder. I also use Terrasoul brand amla. I had used a tsp for that the other day and later gathering dishes I licked that spoon believing it was the maca, so what difference would it make. Uh-huh. One learns lessons.

LadyM, I love the serendipity of finding that surprise in your sweet potatoes! Hey, now knowing that they did grow for you from some slips is encouraging. Ds is the one who has dedicated space for growing sweet potatoes. Maybe I will conspire with the grands to sneak some into his plantings one of these days! lol! What would he think!

I also have water and sleep on my mind, Ramblin'. More of both needed! That would be the short story. What happens with water is that I will actually forget now that weather is cooler. I have a project that is keeping my attention at desk or book, so that time goes by before I look up and realize I missed opportunities. Almost thinking of alarm-setting, but perhaps a talking-to for my brain will help most. :|

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:27 am

Harriet, re-reading your post, I think you were perfectly clear and I was quite dense.

After reading reports about heavy metals in protein posders, and that plant-based ones were more contaminated than the animal-based ones, I wanted to buy from a company with high standards and complete transparency. I found one, maybe two. I chose Vivo Life USA. It's based in the UK, so don't go to that site or you will see the prices in pounds. Their products are expensive, but I've decided they are worth it.....so far. I bought our first bag from A-river just to try it. Now I have a subscription on the Vivo site since I'm getting a 12.5% discount with the subscription.

I am finally looking at all the anti-dairy information on Nutrition Facts. I didn't dare do that while I was still unwilling to give it up.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:27 am

RunKitty, I've been thinking that I'm using too much milk/dairy. We probably use two gallons milk weekly between the two of us. For me, it's in coffee liberally (I'm one who has a little coffee with their milk) and in a morning smoothie. I'd like to transition away from the smoothie for winter but it's become so convenient that it's difficult to change. I'm a creature of habit.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:17 am

Twins', the smoothie habit is a great one to have! Have you tried almond milk or soy milk? I was surprised at how many plant-based milks are available now. We use unsweetened almond milk in our smoothies. Today we were out of that so used unsweetened soy milk. The soy milk makes the smoothie even thicker than usual, but it's still good. I've seen unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I'll bet that would be good in your coffee.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:24 am

Twins... can you switch to almond milk for your smoothies??? I find it is just as good. I use unsweetened vanilla almond and it only has 30 calories per cup. I use 1/2 &1/2 or heavy cream in my coffee... two tablespoons at the most. Both have less sugar per cup than whole or skim milk.. go figure.

Dairy is deadly for me. I don’t eat cheese, use grass fed butter or ghee and a splash of cream in my coffee. I find for me, it really helps with my weight loss.

Some days I do IF and other days I don’t. Jason says the window of non-eating should be 15 hours and studies show increasing it above that doesn’t equal any more benefits

So I am alternating my days.

I’m glad I switched back to my old Jorge Cruise The 100 sugar counting plan which I lost 20lbs with the last time I followed it. I’m not hungry and I like that I can have chocolate when I’m craving something sweet. My favorite treat is 1/4 cup of walnuts mixed with a broken up square of 86* of chocolate if I want it. Last night I didn’t even want it.

Yesterday I drank 64 ozs of water... want to get that much or more today.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”