Health and Fitness, November 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2019

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:00 pm

I did 20 min. On the stat bike. I have also raked leaves in the front yard, walked the dog.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Got in my 10k steps for today and made it to the gym. Jason was late so I did my warm up exercises and rode the bike for 5 min. He still wasn’t there, so I used some 15lb hand weights and did 3 sets and f two different exercises before he showed up.... he’s never late and texted me but I’m was already in the gym

He was so impressed that I was working on my own when he came in and was doing upper body weights. Asked me how I knew to do it... told him after working with him for over three years I aught to know how to warm up and since we did lower body work On Monday I needed to do upper today.

Worked out hard... made sure I drank 80 ozs of water so I’m not sore tomorrow... also need to remember to take my magnesium tonight as well.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:52 am

Almost, almost there... keeping my eye on the goal with fingers crossed. Will stay with my eating plan, get my steps in and make sure to drink my water!!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:56 pm

"Try it Tuesday" thing chosen. Dr wants me to go back to first-thing-in-the-morning exercise, which she says has really transformed her own consistency. She's got the credibility to advise since she's quite an athlete. I have no desire for her level of athletic performance, just activity performance, but I see her point. Evening exercise has many positive aspects and has been good for me mostly, but there are just too many times life gets in the way and throws me down on the bed exhausted before I can follow through on my plan. She says I'm going back to the common mistake of equating busyness with healthy activity, and that we have to remember tiredness could be evidence of either.

So that's a good choice for "Try it". Whether I can keep it up or not ... .. hmmm. I've tried early mornings in the past and found that someone always seems to need me no matter how early I think it is. She says stiffness should not be my problem anymore, and she's got a point there. In theory, I ought to be able to put that out of my mind.

Was wondering after your post in PWYC, Harriet, what was the reasoning behind the exercising first thing in the morning? Can you expound? Sure didn't make it today or any time soon (today) for that matter. I want to give my body its best chance to recover and be as fit as possible. And what "stiffness" were you speaking of? In your back perhaps?

I've been doing well with doing my cardiac rehab exercises every day for a couple of weeks at least. One day was very late and I know that didn't really work well for me. My weight is slowly (ever so slowly) inching down, but at least it's in the right direction.

We're working on getting our health insurance changed (at a MUCH lower premium). I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. Think the good thing of it all will be that we can see doctors up home and down here without a problem (SHE says hopefully!). Have a phone conference with the insurance broker at 10am tomorrow. So, I'm trying to get all our questions written down in the meantime.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:54 pm

I like to do morning exercise or just after lunch, evening exercise can mess me up.

I did some outside stuff leaves 15 min. Around nine, a.m.
And at ten did 30 on stat bike. Bs was up in ack land.
Stuffyness could be a cause.

Did a bit more walking and shopping in the afternoon.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Dee, her reasoning was that there are too many unforeseen interruptions in my days to trust that I'll get back to it later. And it's true that sometimes evening exercise, sort of as part of a bedtime routine, has worked beautifully for me ... ..and sometimes it hasn't. I can be sure that no company comes, true, but there are times I'm just already too tired. She says that if she herself doesn't stay committed to 7:00 a.m. as her exercise time (either out running, or already at her gym by that time) it won't happen for her.

Do you remember that I used to get regular "twinges" in my back and at times actually have my back "go out" and have to take to the bed for several days? That included feeling stiff in the mornings, and worry about trying too much activity too early. I went to the dr for it a few times, having muscle relaxant prescribed. He said it was bound to be arthritis in the lower back, very common, so there were no tests. He must have been at least partially right since an anti-inflammatory diet seems to have been great for it. Also, I'm sure my blood flow in the vertebral arteries was poor back then, when my cholesterol was high. Plus, I may have had clinical sciatica. (or it could have been muscle swelling that mimicked it - hard to be sure) If I did have any true sciatica, the cholesterol buildup was affecting those nerves, too. Anyway, those markers are down and I don't think about bending in the mornings any more like I once did. Shortly after getting up I can reach to get something from the floor if needed.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:29 am

Harriet, I like your doctor's advice and think she is a great role model for her patients. I'm out the door before 7:00 each morning too. There is evidence that fasted exercise can be particularly beneficial. I don't enjoy the darkness this time of the year, especially when it is raining, but I'm always glad I got my run in when I get home.

That is great that your anti-inflammatory diet has improved your health so much. Please, tell us more.....

Big WTG for keeping up with your cardiac rehab, Dee!!!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 am

Cheering everyone on!!!

Run kitty I know how you feel. When I was going to my other gym, Jason’s class began at 5:00 am which meant I had to get up at 4:15 and on the road by 4:30. Didn’t bother me during summer time
But in the winter I just wanted to stay in bed. Part of our training was running, so we did it under the street lights. The only positive thing I can say is I run much faster when it’s cold!

Stayed on my plan, got in 12k+ Steps and drank 80* + of water. I stop counting after I reach my goal.

Weighed this morning and.... I am sooooooooo close, but not there yet.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:50 pm

I raked, swept & bagged up 4 bags of leaves today for my exercise.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:19 am

Worked out at the gym yesterday. Got in 10k+ steps and stayed on my eating plan.

I am right on the very edge for my weight goal. Hope to tip over tomorrow...fingers crossed and staying on plan!

Return to “Healthy Habits”