Health and Fitness, December 2019

Share healthy living habits.
RunKitty

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2019

Postby RunKitty » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:39 am

My book arrived on Thursday. They included it in an order of supplement for us and our cat. No idea when I will get a chance to read it though. If anyone would like to borrow it, let me know and I will send it along.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 am

I am willing to learn and study a recommended book so I ordered the How not to diet book. It arrives tomorrow. I will have to tackle it a small segment at a time.

I have also ordered a couple of new-to-me supplements (Ceylon Cinnamon & Berberine) to see if they will help in lowering my blood sugar. I have another blood test at the doctor's office on Jan 3rd that I want to see if I can influence. I have been keeping good records of my macros & blood sugar multiple times a day so I want to experiment with adding these supplements and watch my daily test results. I have taken my carbs as low as I can but my blood sugar won't drop into the normal range. On the flip side....I have documented proof that I have learned how easily I can raise my blood sugar. (NOT something I want to do)
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Hey!! We have a Book Club!! :D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Did 15 on stat bike yesterday.
Did 30 min. today.
Plus vacumed living room including under the couch.
I am feeling better.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Dd21 and I are talking about New Year's Day as a start for some healthy habits. (Well, return of some healthy habits.) We are pondering it. "HRH's gift" to me arrived after our family gathering, so we won't wrap it, just start enjoying. I knew I was getting new workout DVDs, just surprised to see there are 4.

My book is lying open right here beside me at my desk. (my desk is two old desks at right angles) I wish I'd had more time for it, but I have at least turned toward it some :D , skimming it. Some of the information is not so much new to me as it is stated in a new and more compelling way. For instance, one of his tweaks is, "Deflour your diet", and the explanation is that powdering even whole grains is like robbing our microbiomes of the starch that's expected to be ferried down to our colons unbroken. I "knew" that, but had still been thinking of flour as an addition that wasn't so bad, more than a substitution that physically gets in the way. I'm sure I'll still use whole grain flours, but not with the mistaken belief that it has no effect on weight/health.

The book's various headings and tweaks are often clever phrases to get you to look at what you're doing with more honesty.
I've been smiling at : The Tao of Poo, Raising the Barberries, Don't Try This at Home, Brewing Evidence (tea), Flower Power (hybiscus tea). As Queasy as ABC, Saving Scraps for Our Friendly Flora.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Love the titles, Harriet. Processed grains are frowned upon in my AH Way of Eating but I've kind of been on a "Field Trip," i.e. off plan. The social events of the season have really played havoc with my WOE.

As long as I've been off on an eating field trip, I've also not been getting my steps in. Week ended yesterday is the second week I haven't met goal. Last week I decreased weekly goal from 63K steps to 52500 (7500 daily) and just couldn't get motivated to do it. I think all the social events and colder weather play a part, but I just haven't been motivated either.

I am going for 52500 again this week. I'm half way to daily goal now.

For January, I plan to do "Dryuary" or Dry January again.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:18 pm

I have done 30 min. On stat bike.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 pm

My book is still unopened on the kitchen island counter. I've been trying to eat more oatmeal, quinoa, and rice and having only one serving of whole grain bread a day.
I made a recipe from my youtube guy today: Red lintel, quinoa, and kale stew. It was good, and if I were still checking off boxes on the Daily Dozen app, I would have checked at least seven for that dish.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Did 30 on the stat bike. Walked other days.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:46 pm

I will make my goal of 52500 steps this week - only need 2700 for rest of day. I'm going to change my goal week to start on Sunday, not sure when? But Sat and Sun are typically my lowest days of the week so by beginning on a Sunday I'll avoid the stacking the two low days at the end of the week.

My eating lately is all over the place. Way too many social occasions and temptations. Will reset on 1 Jan with eating better and Druary - no alcohol for the month.

I got the name of a trainer yesterday that a friend my age works with - she goes to the downtown Y and I could easily go there for training once or twice a week. I'd like to build strength this year, and lose my other 15 lbs. I know that will be harder than losing 15 this year.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”