Health and Fitness, December 2019

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, December 2019

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:39 am

Welcome. This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we grow more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

We're approaching the end of 2019. This will be the month in which we assess the year and also prepare any record-keeping or goals that we want to be in place by 2020.

What healthy 2019 habits or methods are "keepers" for you going forward?
Which ones do you need to reset?

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2019

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:25 am

Hi Harriet! I've missed you!

Step goal still 63K but it will be a reach with the cooler weather. While walking yesterday I noticed a neighbor has his treadmill in his garage - he's body builder and runner too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:40 am

Mon. I Walked the dog in the afternoon and picked up the back yard,
then did 30 on the stat bike in the evening.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 pm

The keeper from 2019 for me is eating a 100% plant-based diet. I wish we had done it sooner. I've always tended in that direction ethically, but wondered if it would be too difficult practically. Actually, it has been really easy and fun. My weight is remaining several pounds below my goal weight and I am naturally running farther just because it feels good to do so. I'm looking forward to trying new plant-based recipes in the coming year.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:44 am

RunKitty - That is fantastic news! I am so happy for you! Congratulations on finding what works for your body and being consistent. IMHO, You are a rock star!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank you, LadyM. That is so sweet of you. I am rooting for you to find answers for improving your health and I'm sure you will. You are a rock star when it comes to research.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:10 pm

I've decided a "keeper" for me for 2020 is consistency with (preferably morning) exercise and have ordered a series of T-Tapp workouts for HRH to give me ( ;) ) for Christmas. My dd39 has this series and likes it but I never tried it, thinking it may repeat some of what I already own. With the price "deals" right now and free shipping, I decided it was worth it to try. New venues to see and new instructions to hear may be fun. There's one of a similar length to some others I own, and that appeals to me because it would fit into a schedule to cycle through.

Tried a new food! Dd21's car-pool friend found
purple sweet potatoes at a distant market and bought some for us! So thoughtful. I've already tried them in a recipe and they are very, very tasty as well as pretty. If anything, I believe they are a little denser than orange, holding their cut shape (I had cubed them).

On Dec 10 the book I've ordered, How Not to Diet, will be released, and I assume might be here by the next day (although dd39 has experienced receiving new releases by mail on the release day). I absolutely don't have time to read it, lol, but will that stop me? by Jan 1 it may have suggested more 2020 "keepers" to me. There will be no citations in the book because there were so many the publisher couldn't include them and still bind the book, so they will be on a website. I've watched the hour lecture that goes with it, released about 10 days ago, and learned some from that.

Never mind. Checked on that and it is promised delivery on the 10th. That's nice. I still don't have time to drop everything and read!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Ah, Harriet, this is the How Not to Die author! One of dh's friends gave him the first book - he was following it and thought dh might enjoy the exposure. I looked at it, but I don't think dh did.

I need to walk today, but also need to s2s and pack for a short two night trip.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:35 pm

I am going to stick with this new Rx regimn for 3 mo. Then re-evaluate it.
I walked the ddog Fri. & Sat.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Well, I must give A-river credit. Here in the backwater, the book arrived at 10:40 a.m. today, the very day of release. I was out doing outdoor chores in my galoshes, surprised to see the Laser-ship lady coming, rather than the Amazon truck that I see on the road at least once every day. Haven't seen her in many months, so they may give the new-release work to them for speed. I will say it was a bit difficult to keep working outside, but I did, lol. It's interesting to me - a sign? lol! - that it came shortly after I submitted my last assignment of the week, while the next classwork is still locked from view. :lol:

Like I have any time, anyway. My tree is half-decorated. Hmmm ... .. It's about 180 pages of text longer than the first book (that one had many pages of citations), so it's pushing 600 pages of text. I don't know. Am I really up for diving into an "encyclopedic tapestry", a "monumental bastion" (lol - I'm just looking at the back cover praises. I have not actually started reading yet because it sounds like I may need to take a deep breath.) The saving grace, of course, is that it's broken into chunks, so we'll see.

Return to “Healthy Habits”