Health and Fitness, December 2019

Share healthy living habits.
RunKitty

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2019

Postby RunKitty » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Twins', sounds like you have some great plans in place for a successful new year. :D

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:14 pm

I hope so, RunKitty! Hold my feet to the fire here!

I increased walking goal to 8K daily and changed the starting day of the week to Sunday. I'm a little short for today but will probably get there. Dfriend M and I walked two laps this afternoon with the dogs and the grocery store always racks up steps too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 pm

I did 30 min. On the stat bike.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:27 pm

RunKitty, can you give a little more information on that soup/stew? It sounds like something helpful.

I was thinking that more soups would be good this year and give new lunch options.

I'm working on transforming part of our bedroom back into the exercise area it once was. HRH's elliptical (forbidden for him for a year, so stored) will come back to the room, and maybe I can make more space for DVD workouts and my mat, too, instead of being squeezed. We have a chair and ottoman in the room that are quite space-consuming. Wondering if these could go. It's just that when having dd39's family stay here in our home, that upholstered furniture makes the room more comfortable for them. I really wonder about stacking ottoman on the chair and putting it into a corner most of the time!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Hydration reminder.
Posting from stat bike 5 more min. To go. Done,
Walked ddog to the corner and later around the loop and around the block.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:07 pm

Here is the recipe:

Red Lentil/Quinoa/Kale Stew

Saute one diced large onion, two cloves of garlic, and three large carrots in olive oil or water until soft.
Add one teaspoon each of cinnamon, turmeric, and cumin.
Add one cup of red lentils (I used the green/brown ones) and one cup of quinoa. Mix everything well.
Add as much kale as you can fit in. I used an entire tub of baby kale.
Add a large can of chopped tomatoes.
He calls for a cube of boullion and 5 or 6 cups of water. I used Chicken-less Better than Boullion.
Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes.
Serve topped with avocadl

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:30 am

Very cool! Thank you for going to the trouble, RunKitty. I actually have that bullion in the cabinet. I don't exactly have a new recipe to share, but can share a quick video I had fun watching today - cheerful Derek who almost seems to have a recipe, as he puts some lentils and fav veggies into the instant pot, and gives info on why the IP is healthy, some of which I hadn't seen. (He's kidding of course, when he says you have to have an instant pot to make his dish.) Also, I have some interest in his salad dressings, though I would use them more sparingly than he does.

Nancy, I'm trying to emphasize hydration more. Always this time of year I start forgetting because I'm not getting thirsty as often in the heat.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:18 pm

Looked at my year of weight recordings. I started out the year 4 pounds less than I am now but toward the middle I shot up to an unheard of number and over some months had to literally fight my way back down from that. It was so hard. I just wasn't doing well. I had bodily 'functions' that weren't functioning through that whole thing. Once I got that problem solved...too well for a while.... I began to start feeling better and was able to get the weight off.

Some of this I have no idea why. Some I do have an idea. I noticed this year doing all the walking on hard floors doing holiday shopping my arthritis in my spine wasn't quite as bad. Of course, it moved to my right shoulder a bit...

From that awful high point I lost about 6 1/2 pounds and I appear to be still losing, 1/3 lb a day or better. I'm no longer holding as much water weight as I did, and I can tell that just from my ankles.

So right now I'm even feeling better. Bingyness has mostly gone away for the first time in years. Over the past month of bike riding 2-3 times a week I've built up some leg strength. Today for the first time I did 4 extra streets and kept it in 2nd gear the whole way despite some headwind.

Prayers of thankfulness last night thinking about how I'm feeling. Hoping I can keep it up and do more in 2020. I"m nowhere near what some of you are doing, but then I'm a bit older too!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:35 pm

I have done my morning 30 min. On stat. Bike.
Did half of a walk with ddog this afternoon.
Did two extra laps around walk mart this evening.
Was still pouring outside.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 pm

I enjoyed the ideas, recipe, and video. Thanks for sharing!

I have been updating & reviewing my analysis of weekly, monthly and yearly healthy habits I've been monitoring. In some areas, I am a bit discouraged & disappointment to not have better results and other areas I'm pleased with the outcome.

I have added a couple of things I want to track so they will stay a daily habit. I noticed that I tend to eat light-colored vegetables (cauliflower, onion, squash, lettuce, etc) so I decided to pay attention to the color. I want to eat a half cup of orange vegetables, red vegetables, and dark green vegetables each daily. Today I satisfied this by eating pumpkin, beets and turnip greens.

My weight is 3 lbs less than the end of 2018. However, my weight soared to the highest ever this summer prompting me to do the 100-day tracking challenge with myself starting in September. The 100-day challenge has ended but that experience taught me how helpful it is so I continue to track. I have lost 14 lbs over the past 3 months which is slow but took a lot of effort.

I have blood work done on Friday and then have an appointment with the family doctor to discuss the results of blood tests and heart testing. Once I get those results I will have some firm information to guide me in what changes are most important for my body in 2020.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Healthy Habits”