Health and Fitness, January 2020

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, January 2020

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Here we are together at the start of a new decade ... .. "The Twenties" of this century. (Meaning something completely different from what the phrase, "the 20s", meant all our lives! )

It's wonderful to begin a new decade with you all, being the welcoming cheerleaders that you are. This is a great place to come for encouragement.

This may be a time for reassessing and goal-ing. Some of that was going on New Year's Eve, and if anyone would like to repost to get your thoughts into this thread, too, that's great. Otherwise, everyone be sure to read the last couple pages of December's thread, very inspiring.

Helpful, perhaps, is the fact that our H and F threads here do go back, at this time, 11.5 years. There's a possibility that we could glean a bit of info for record-keeping from a previous thread.

Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2020

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:04 am

Just a bump so this one comes back to top

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:16 pm

thank you!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:23 pm

Twins', I just realized that I was 64 when I ran my half marathon years ago. Hope that is inspiring.

Happy New Year, everyone. Let's make it a great one.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Wow, RunKitty. I always assumed you were much younger! You are inspiring!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:40 pm

Did 30 on the stat bike.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:14 am

Run kitty...

Do you do any weight training along with your running? The reason for ask is because my mom started running at 49 and ran 5 days a week till she was in her late 70’s... She will be 92 in early Feb... and developed a balance problem because she ran but didn’t do core work.

This is the major reason I am devoting time to my gym work. If I’m gonna life be as long as my mom has, I want to make sure I stay steady on my feet.

This crud has really set me back. I haven’t been to the gym in n over two weeks and steroids pack the pounds on me, which is why I hate taking them. Plus my food choices were ice pops and anything soft I could get down. Last night I ate a healthy chicken/mushroom thin crust pizza. Last time I did that was at my sons and before that in July with my mom.

Nothing taste good to me at the moment. Thinking this will pass out n the next few days.

I am taking a women’s self defense class on Saturday that will require my energy levels to be up. I’m hoping that will help me restart for next Monday. Till then I plan on staying focused and eating clean.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Yes, that Derek, RunKitty. He's down-to-earth and reassuring, so he's on my short-list of people whose cooking vids I might actually spend time watching. From that vid, I followed over to his 3 sauces (dressings) vid and went to the actual recipes in the wording, so I have those 3 down now in my recipes. My hope is that this would inspire me to have large salads more often, even when craving a creamier dressing.

Things I did wrong over the holidays:
I allowed gifts of sugary/fatty desserts to "guilt" me into "not wasting them".
I allowed the many bread-like items showing up to get onto my plate.
I allowed the egg-y dishes others brought to take the place of my own choices.

HRH has quit cheese. He suggests that if I want to give something up this year, that might be a good choice since we'd be on the same page. Thinking about it. Sweet drinks or flour items also would be a wise things to cut out completely, but difficult to monitor, and I doubt if I could be absolute with that. Of course, I don't have to be perfect, just take aim. So far, I'm not having any of these, but then it's the second day of the year, lol.

Trying to substitute green tea for coffee in the mornings. Haven't yet found a brand I like. Or maybe I just don't like green tea.

During the holiday Grand-Central Station around here, a McD's Big M sandwich came in, but the rest of the food must have looked better so it was going to be a left-over, and fridge space was at a premium. Someone, trying to keep it from being wasted, gave Tobias one-quarter of the meat patty that had not touched cheese. Tobias sniffed his dish, took two steps away and turned his back to sit down. We were all called to look and were pretty impressed with that since you never see Tobias ignore meat - he's the opposite of finicky.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:50 pm

I walked the ddog today after I cleaned the office, that was an hour on my feet I timed it thinking I would start with ten min. So
Happy to have my work table cleated off! Yea!

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:40 pm

WTG, Nancy!

Harriet, I agree with Tobias. When a true carnivore has that reaction to McD's, you've got to wonder why they are still in business. We had a "cheese" sauce in a casserole tonight that was made with nutritional yeast, not cheese. Pretty good. We like Miyoko's plant food cheeses and butter. I think Dai-ya plant food cheeses are pretty good too.

RR, I remember your telling us that about your mother before. I use weights sometimes and do push ups sometimes....should do planks....ush. My mother is 93 and walks on her treadmill every day and does her balance exercises.

Thanks, Twins'. I assume I am a lot younger too. :D My manager at the dog training/boarding facility saw a photo copy of my driver's license in mmy employee file and told me she thought they had made a mistake on the birth date or that I had stolen someone else's identity. She decided it was the latter since she thought I was 20 or 25 years younger. It was a physically demanding job and most of my co-workers were the manager's age or younger. She was born in the same year as my youngest child. I miss working with those dogs!!

Return to “Healthy Habits”