Health and Fitness, March 2020

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, March 2020

Postby Harriet » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:02 am

Marching along? (walking, jogging, water treading, speed-walking, running, reverse-walking, tap-dancing, elliptical-ing ... ..)

Marching those marker-numbers back into line? (Hurray for Nancy's A1C success in February).

Whatever the way you are seeing March blow in with health and fitness, let us know!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, March 2020

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:33 pm

I did some exercise in the garden beds Sun. Shoirt walk with the dog as well.
Plus I walked the dog our regular walk Mon.
Tues. Took a hike in the field with the dog that was a nice change, weather was lovey and sunny not windy.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 am

This post holds BIG seasonal apologies to Lynlee, whose community is enjoying sun and probably has high D levels right now.)

Yesterday Kathryn mentioned sunshine against viruses. In general, populations don't get "hit" by viruses as much in summer as winter - don't know if that matters as much with this one (?) (China is going into spring now, so I'm assuming they would have been dealing with the crisis during late fall and winter.)

I went searching for the sun azimuth table from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and... .. it's been taken down. :| Sigh. So much for instant access for everybody on whether it was possible to have the "good" rays of the sun in your area on a certain day. Someone posted they thought it was because of the Patriot Act - something about air travel and pilots - but I have no idea that is the case. The site says it will be back up this summer (?) I simply couldn't find another site or method on the net today and don't have time to keep trying.

But if a person could remember approximate dates in spring that they learned, in past years, that the azimuth was over 50 degrees and people could make Vitamin D in their areas, it would certainly hold true again.

Anyway, I found this from me on March 27, 2012, as I was reading that table:

I was surprised to see that today I could have gotten Vitamin D sunshine as early as 10:50 and as late as 1:30, so there have evidently been many previous days when I could have been out there getting some sun if I had known! (You can put in any date you want to figure out your area better. Also, it is automatically clocked for the area's time, whether daylight savings or not.) There are about 2.5 hours available to me now (on sunny days - obviously cloud cover changes things), and the window is growing.

So in this area right now on sunny middays, people may already be making Vitamin D again through their own skin. If indeed this helps with an overview of immunities, there's good news in there somewhere.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Wow Harriet, you used words in there I have never seen before. And in the what are the odds department: I was told because of this 2nd antibiotic I am taking, I should NOT be in the sun right now. :roll: I'm sure a few minutes here or there won't hurt. AND with the first antibiotic I was doing the yogurt thing which is supposed to be good for intestinal support and do something for bladder wall cells (per the nurse, I'm guessing she must know something about that). And with this antibiotic, little to NO dairy.

Look to my left, I see a rock. Look to my right, I see a hard place. 8-)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:34 am

I have hope that the general population around us will begin - however incrementally - having greater resistance because beneficial sunshine is increasing. I know people are getting the virus in the southern hemisphere, too, but I'm thinking at least the sunny season they've been in may have kept things from being worse. I suppose you couldn't prove that one way or another. As I tried to look this up I kept running into the theory that temperatures being warmer would help, and I don't really think that's possible, except that we can get away from close contact and get outdoors more.

I realize a huge point is that none of us have immunity to this particular thing, so we don't have the really great immune-people barrier, but I don't think that keeps us from at least a little of a resistant-people barrier. :)

Harmony, I'm so sorry about the frustrations with getting over all this. I had emailed you. HRH had also been on meds that limited his sun exposure. He's been able to stop taking some of those now and I hope that's over. He's wondering if seasonal allergies will bother him (another reason to avoid dairy).

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:31 am

Dh and I walked the dog this morning then I walked two more laps with the lady from across the street. I really enjoy catching up with her. She said she's going to walk again this afternoon and I asked her to text me when she does and I'll join her. Of course, it's raining too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Bs was up did 30 on stat bike while wainting on sheets in the dryer.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Harriet - living in the sun cancer capital of the world, weather forecast reports online tell us the hours of extreme danger to stay out of the sun.
Would weatherzone in US help?

Walked the 3k route yesterday. Lots of incidental walking and the sun shone on Saturday.
Yoga today.
I need to do better on meal prep.

There is a lot of mowing needed. Mower can only run for 45min so I don't overdo it. Hoping to get to it soon.
It will seriously count as exercise when it happens as per Nancy's reports.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:18 am

Harriet, I used to have that link saved but don't find it now.

Upped my step goal back to 50K for the week, approximately 7K daily. I had dropped to 42K for the week last week so I could finally achieve a goal. I do enjoy walking - there were a lot of neighbors out this weekend - but I am so tired of the cloudy and rainy weather. Today is cloudy, no rain, but it just gets me down.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Lynlee, I do find weatherzone, with a suggestion that in my area I use a couple of companies whose names we're familiar with here - accuweather, The Weather Channel. Pretty certain I know all those do. Oh well, we generally know that for many in the US we're into the time when midday sun is sending a little help with overall resistance to the earthlings. :)

Return to “Healthy Habits”