sassy water recipe

Share healthy living habits.
Smile*Lee

sassy water recipe

Postby Smile*Lee » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Harriet ~ would you post your recipe for this? It sounds very intriguing! I know the ingredients, but how much of each thing do you put in? TIA!
:: Time & Space for My Dreams :: Slow & Steady for a Lifetime! ::

Harriet

Re: sassy water recipe

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am

Recipe as Prevention states it:

Sassy Water

2 liters water (about 8 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
1 medium cucumber, peeled
1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
12 mint leaves

Combine all ingredients in a 2-quart pitcher, chill in the refrigerator, and let flavors blend overnight.

They say it helps calm and soothe the GI tract, flushes out fluid, reduces water retention and encourages drinking water instead of other, less healthful drinks.

By mint leaves, btw, they say they just mean the regular packaged ones you find in produce sections of groceries with other herbs.

Now, HRH does not like this much cucumber in it and says it tastes a lot better with only half as much cucumber. I do wash the lemon and cucumber with a veggie wash and then don't bother peeling the cucumber. I definitely peel the ginger. I pour the water over the other ingredients in a pitcher that has a straining top for convenience BUT it's very pretty in a clear pitcher if you wanted to serve to someone who is suspicious! :D I think anyone would want a taste of something that looks this attractive.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:04 am

Thank you, Harriet!

It sounds fabulous! I've had cucumber water and lemon water, which I love, so I can't wait to try this. I have all the ingredients except for fresh ginger - might have to run to the store today to get that. I've never seen a pitcher with a built in strainer before. Can you give me some pointers on where to get one?

Thanks for the tips!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:21 am

My two are Rubbermaid, similar to this, which they say (when I click on stores near me and add my zip code) is available at Walmarts near me. I have the periwinkle color and a lighter blue color that may be an old one not manufactured any more. Interestingly, the part of the lid I am calling a "strainer" is what they are calling an "ice guard", so I may have misled you using that word - it strains enough to keep slices from splashing out, for instance, but tiny pieces of lemon or ginger still go into the glass.

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:37 am

Gotcha! Thanks for looking that up for me. I've made some already! :D I used a pickling cuke which probably is more along the amount that HRH likes. I used the jarred ginger I have on hand, but put in only 1/4 tsp. I wasn't for sure how strong it would taste - didn't want it overwhelming right off the bat. I used a clear Brita pitcher. It DOES look pretty. The pickling cuke has scallop-like edges -- very pretty. I can't wait to try it. I'll wait till after supper -- let it have a good sit.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:16 am

Harriet would you post this recipe and your comments in the recipe section?

I think it sounds so good and those that don't read the healthy habits section may see it in the recipe section and find it oh so good.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:52 pm

I put it under "beverages".

Return to “Healthy Habits”