Health and Fitness, April, 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, April, 2009

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Checking in
A couple weeks ago on a nice Friday the car broke down
we walked a mile home to get the truck
I was glad that I'd been working on regaining my strength.
I started with #1 lbs. of weight for my over head arm lifts
and one other arm exercise.
I have been doing my regular walks
will be working up to 3 mi. walks again
this summer
and doing yd. work 20-30-45 min. at a time
as weather permits.
This winter decluttering gave me opportunity to
work on increasing my stamina.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 am

I found a great website:

http://healthydiningfinder.com/

The restaurants are from fine dining to fast food and list the healthy choices at each establishment.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:31 am

Yes, Indiana, thank you. Potentially very helpful!

Great news that Nancy is getting back to walks - she always sees the nicest things.

I tried a way-too-easy vegetarian meal (small) this evening - cut up lots of veggies and sprinkled extra basil (dh's favorite) onto Kashi all-natural frozen cheese tomato pizza. He really loved it and said we could have it again anytime. Has Omega-3 from flax seed, 7 other whole grains and is only a little cardboard-ish. ;)

Wanted to mention HRH has seen the 230s again. :D He reached 239 thinking it might be a fluke but was at 238 this a.m. He's been off sugar a month except what might be in breads. Funny, nothing happened as far as weight loss for several weeks, although he said he felt better, but now it seems to be beginning. He drinks Sassy Water a lot, maybe a pitcher every day and a half, has a sugar-free drink with supper. He'd like to reach ds24's ideal weight of 200, but would be happy at wedding weight of 220. He bought a smaller-waist size in slacks the other day.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:32 am

On last trip to Dr. I was not happy with my A1C. He thought it was ok but I didn't. This in addition to the pain in my hips, knees and ankles has made me decide to get my weight in check. To reach my goal - I need to lose about 68 pounds. (Of course, my goal weight is the weight some of you are complaining about ;) )

I have joined a diabetic diet on the Prevention website that I hope will help. I haven't gotten the book, yet but I'm following the on line diet. So far - so good with eating and logging. I've had to swap out a few things and a meal or two - but I'm watching the calories and staying right on track.

I'm not sure of my weight loss this first week as I weighed on the Drs. scale 2 weeks ago and my scale yesterday. (DUH!! I should have weighed the same day on my scale to see the difference!! :oops: ) But I will see next week if there is a difference on my scale.

I will let you know how it goes.

Edited to correct pounds I have to lose. Typos happen when you are typing in the dark. (Wow - I'm now 10 pounds closer to my goal :lol: )

Irish Oats: I am using them in homemade bread today. About 1/3 cup Irish Oats and 1/2 cup regular oatmeal. Makes it nice and chewy.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:29 am

Just wanted to pop in and thank those who mentioned the McCann's oatmeal. I've been trying for years to get ds18 to eat the heartier oatmeals by Quaker Oats. No Way, Mom!!!! :roll:

While I was out at the store, I picked up a can. Ds asked about it when he saw it sitting in the pantry. After talking about all the characteristics, benefits, how it was made, and that it REALLY was from Ireland, ;) -- he decided he wanted to try it and has been eating it all week. :lol: Today's portion was spruced up by cinnamon & vanilla.

Thanks a bunch!!!
:: Time & Space for My Dreams :: Slow & Steady for a Lifetime! ::

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Sorry I didn't pop back in sooner. As I was saying the same things every day, I'd decided to check in every few days or once a week, then I forgot!

Anyway, it took quite a few days to get my muscles back to not hurting. Then there were the days I stood and walked on concrete (about 10 days of that) with the church people.

But I am back at it, either walking for a half hour or bicycling a half hour. I scaled down the hour stuff due to the soreness. I haven't had the nerve to try to eliptical again.

As for stamina, maaaybe. Just maaaaybe. Not a huge difference, little one maybe. No weight loss, but no spike upwards either which had been happening.

WTG everybody!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi, everyone. Emptynester, I know what A1C is (just recently learned!) so I understand your post! A blood test showing a 3 months weighted (recent days will make more difference that earlier ones) "picture" of how well the body is regulating blood sugar. Is that close? Sounds like wisdom to strive for an even better reading than dr finds acceptable.

Emptynester happens to already know, but I've lately had to learn about diabetic phrases and such since dh was taken on an emotional roller-coaster by some inaccurate testing/interpreting. His doctor's office went from surprising him with "prediabetic" to changing that to "diabetic" within 3 days, then 2 weeks later, after he'd contacted our insurance, been reading, started home testing, etc. they said, "oops, we misusderstood the tests, not even prediabetic, never mind". Aauurrgghh! But, good came of it because he abandoned sugar in his diet as he's often said he wanted to do.

Glad to hear Smile Lee's ds likes McCann's now that he's tried it. With a little maturity, yucky turns to interesting! Here, dd10 thinks it is gruel. :D If I offer it, she starts backing away!

I'm so glad you're not hurting any more, Harmony. Good job on the daily exercise.

I have lost one April pound, hopefully on the way to 2 by end of month.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:19 am

Yes, Harriet, you are right on with the A1C definition. I have kept a spread sheet of all of my blood test results for the last 10 years so know what "my" numbers have been/should be. The Dr. is used to full blown diabetics with much higher numbers than I am used to getting - therefore the difference in our reaction to the numbers.

Very proud of myself on staying on the button on food intake today. In fact, a little below what is allowed. But again - diet is for insulin dependent people and I'm still, after 7 years, on the smallest amount of meds. So if I get the weight off there are many benefits: No more meds, no more pain in joints, a whole new wardrobe (promised by DH) and a lot more self respect.

You are going to probably get sick of me patting myself on the back - but I have to get the momentum going.

Thanks for listening. You all help so much.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:14 pm

You are going to probably get sick of me patting myself on the back - but I have to get the momentum going.

Thanks for listening. You all help so much.

Oh, that is downright cool - hope we ALL post with every little change to keep you company! We'd have extras of happy puppy dances for each other and get exercise!

I am frustrated with this day, not because I did not eat well but because I lost track of what I was eating and any "count" went out the window, barely even have an impression. Sigh. We were just too busy. It's been a long time since I didn't have a handle on what went into my mouth! Had a normal TOM (about which, perhaps, I should be pleased? Kinda been waiting on one of those!) , dull leftover-headache continuing, and that blocks my calorie-counting brain cells. :? I'm going to do a stretch and call it a day!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:41 am

Ugh.
I walked 11 miles last week and gained 3 pounds. Back to 157, after actually hitting 154 once. Just a distant memory at this point. Maybe getting back to school w/help my eating level out.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Healthy Habits”