Health and Fitness, August 2020

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, August 2020

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 am

Here we are ready for a successful August.

What have your successes been? How have you kept records of them? Checklists? Maybe you've been partnering with someone in your household who reminds. Quantifying fitness improvements? Commiting to every day healthy habits?

When you think of success in the coming month, what comes to mind?
How will you keep track?
How can you prove to yourself on August 31 that you have had that success? :idea:

Lynlee

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2020

Postby Lynlee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:44 am

I walked the almost 3 k block today. I walked up the first hill, totally puffed, and decided the longer way home was not the effort I'd just made, so continued on.
Success will be if I do it . extra kudos for regularly.
Success will be getting home in a sooner, and not so puffed on the 2 hills. I'm guessing these two depend upon the regular / daily getting out there, no matter what.
A longer time, slower pace doesn't mean failure.
Success is in the doing.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 pm

When you think of success in the coming month, what comes to mind?
How will you keep track?
How can you prove to yourself on August 31 that you have had that success?

I have been putting a priority on other things rather than paying attention to my health and it shows. I'm not beating myself up over this but simply acknowledging it. It has been 42 days since DMom entered the end-of-life stage and I put that as my priority. At first, I tried to eat what my body needs but gradually I just started eating whatever was easiest. Then it became easy to also ignore portion size. It is no surprise that I find myself 8 lbs heavier than I was 42 days ago.

One thing I have been doing well is getting exercise minutes in each day. I try for 30 minutes a day (using fitbit which means it doesn't count the minutes unless 10 consecutive minutes has been exceeded). My goal is to exceed 150 minutes a week so that gives me some wiggle room to still reach my weekly goal even if I have a bad day (or 2).

I would consider it a success if I started paying attention to what I am eating and the portion size. I'm not ready to commit to restricting myself but simply keeping track would feel like a good success
I'll keep track with my favorite digital food log software.
I can prove it to myself on August 31st by looking back at the daily logs.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:44 pm

I am doing shorter walks with some steps indoors bc of the heat this week. Triple digtets.
Also a bit on the stat bike.
I did a short walk on the dike by the river in the shade this morning.
Fri. walked the dog on the longer walk.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:42 pm

I managed two of the three pounds I wanted to lose in July, but am glad I made the specific goal even if it takes a little longer than a month.

RunKitty, I meant to say you are such an inspiration in consistency.

Fresh tomatoes added to the regular fare around here are so welcome. nummy. Fresh corn is available and we've taken advantage.

Working outdoors gets me sweaty these days and I do feel gratitude for that. The area for my floor exercises has been clear and available when I've wanted it, so that effort was well-placed.

As a general rule I prove to myself that I've been eating well by trying to meet my checklist. I'm not sure the heat of summer is as easy a time to meet those goals. Sometimes I just don't want "much of a meal". Must think cooler culinary thoughts! Salads, smoothies, summer veg. I can put sweet peas and corn kernels cut from the cob into a big salad and get both a whole grain serving and a legume serving that way.

With late dusk, it's important to remember to get that last meal in at a reasonable hour so I'm not eating late.

Return to “Healthy Habits”