Health and Fitness, September 2020

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, September 2020

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:13 pm

Welcome! Please come in and chat with us here about gaining and maintaining good health, strength and stamina. First, because we are worth it! And also because it prepares us every day to meet the challenges of our wonderful calling, homemaking.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, September 2020

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:44 pm

I walked today before it got hot out.
Got on the stat bike in the evening also needed more exercise.

I walked on Wed.
I walked this morning.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:35 am

I haven't posted here in awhile...but it's a new month. I slacked off on walking after the July beach trip when my knee started hurting so much more after the drive home, and still haven't resumed. Of course, my knee is still hurting and I'm doing PT for knee and hips. I'm hoping to see some improvement!

My weight is trying to inch back up...it does fluctuate within a range, but I'm at the upper end of the range and then a little more. I'm thinking I'll start building back up on the walking after the beach trip, assuming I'm at least no worse. I do still walk the dog of course, and last week the day I cleaned I still got 8K steps, I'm just not doing it consistently.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:35 am

Great minds think alike. :) I was thinking this morning that I should make a point of posting here more often to hold myself accountable.

Do you keep a food log? Can you see anything that you have eaten/drank that might affect your joint pain? I have proven over and over what makes my joints become painful. I'm suspect everybody is different.

In August I not only met but doubled the weekly exercise minute goal I set. I want to continue with that goal this month because it is becoming a fact rather than a struggle.

I have basically ignored nutritional tracking the past 7 months while going through end-of-life/grieving DMom death. I made that choice and I'm okay with it. HOWEVER, I can't continue with this choice. It is time to return to tracking and monitoring if I am reaching my nutritional goals.

My September goal is to use Cronometer daily.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:58 am

Count me as #3 -I badly need to be making myself accountable by posting over here. My goal right now is to get 60 minutes of exercise in a day. That seems to be the only way I can lose weight. I join Twins with the knees & hips hurting and know very well what a difference weight can make. I already know I suffer from pretty bad arthritis through a lot of my body. It's been most noticeable in my hands and back. Trying to find a better way for me to do dishes as that's when my back really acts up. (The sink's just too deep for me. I had been concentrating on getting in over 10,000 steps and that's good, but it wasn't 'doing' it for me. Especially since I don't move all that much in this smaller space of a RV. So doing shorter walks is what I'm trying right now and not concentrating on the # of steps but the quality.

I've just started taking vitamin C again -been a long time without it. Hoping it'll help keep my immune system pumped up -especially before I fly to FL next month.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:15 am

LadyM, the knee pain started on Memorial day weekend when I helped dh move his desk upstairs because he didn't want to ask a neighbor to help. :roll: It was a little better, then the trip home from the beach, driving in one position for hours left me sore again.

I may be having some additional aches and pains from the PT. She's putting those hip flexors through their paces and strengthening my leg muscles to stabilize the knee.

The biggest difference isn't what I'm eating, but that I'm not walking consistently. I was consistently walking 60-65K steps even in June, now I'm walking 40K in a good week. Although, that's not enough of a difference to cause weight gain. I need to pay attention to what I'm eating...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:02 am

Count me in as well. I’ve been eating 1000 calories daily, but not moving as much as I should. Daily High temps make being outside impossible and of course my gym is closed. I started back on my gazelle Saturday and am trying to get at least 2 miles in, but I need to up my game.

So...guess I’ll go back to low carbs. And since I reading my kindle right now have decided I can do it on my gazelle as well. Any steps are better than no steps at all.

I can’t get up early and walk as even the morning temps never fall below the high 80’s or low 90’s with no relief until Oct at best. This is the hottest summer ever recorded here in the desert with over 43 days at 110* or higher. That to me is more depressing than the virus.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:23 am

Any steps are better than no steps at all.
True, true, true! Just move it, move it, MOVE IT! That should be my mantra song.

I managed to get in 30 minutes plus (whatever because my timer didn't ding) so far this morning. So that only leaves me another 1/2 hour to go. And I did it without my hip bothering me this morning. Knees did but not as much.

4:05pm: Just made it around the bigger loop here -took me 22 minutes, so have 8 minutes to go to make my 60 and have about 7,000 steps in. Hopefully I can make it to my 10,000 today. It's gotten pretty warm out right now so will try to go for a stroll after dinner. Trying very hard not to snack though I feel hungry. Had some cheese before I went out. Had a cup (scant) of homemade clam chowder for lunch & 4 club crackers.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:47 am

I am inching back up as well. I know the bad habits I've picked up. Sigh....does this ever get any easier?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:18 pm

On the sidelines exercise-wise as far as the ones I'm used to at all.

PT fellows say that even the exercise sheet the dr gave me the previous week contains absolute "No-No" movements because they are about recovering strength in the arm and shoulder. I have movements to do that only increase the range of movement without using the muscles (pulley, etc.) Looks like it's going to take about a half-hour a day.

The arm definitely stops me around the house. Little things like putting up dishes into a cabinet - delegated! I'm looking at the ceiling fans and promising them "later".

Return to “Healthy Habits”