Health and Fitness, September 2020

Share healthy living habits.
LadyMaverick

Re: Health and Fitness, September 2020

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Who knows the secret?

I want to know this too! Although I suspect there is no one solution that works for everyone.

What is working for me currently is to focus on one healthy aspect at a time. I sorta put the other aspects into a holding pattern as I put all my effort/time/thought into improving that one chosen aspect. I am not striving for perfection but steady improvement. I'm not an all-of-nothing gal though, so this method wouldn't work for everyone either.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:10 pm

If we all knew 'the secret' and abided by it, wouldn't we all be slim and trim? Oh I can only wish.

Started doing the balance exercise sheets again today. I know I need this. Wish I could remember what the 'test' is to show improvement (know I'm a long way from there right now). I may email my friend who taught this balance class a few years ago -she's no longer at my Dr's office, but a few miles south of there. I'm sure she'll tell me what the tests are. But I'm at least a few weeks from trying that. I realized Saturday night that I'm in dire need of these when someone other than dh (he wasn't there) was helping me up and down the steps. They're very difficult for me at this point.

Yesterday was an 'eating' day as people kept putting stuff in front of me. Thankfully I was down about 4/10# though this morning. Have to keep just working at it.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:36 pm

I did some exercise on the stat bike this morning, and walked the dog around the block.

I watched a vid something about her son cured of OCD in three days by pl anner perfect. It was long 23 min. But the gest of it was about
Gut health and probiotics other info but I do not remember some thing about beeing on antibioitics. Might be a secret..

I did 30 min. On the stat bike. Tues.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Pushed myself and did my 'balance exercises' for today. Well, that's 2 days in a row. Hopefully I'm on a roll?! I had almost talked myself into doing it every other day -NO! I know I need to do them every day. I did find something online to test balance. I can't even do 2 seconds -standing on one foot. Hopefully it'll steadily go up from there, but I know it takes a good bit of time. No wonder I'm so tipsy when I'm walking, especially on uneven ground. Sure people might think I've been drinking sometimes. But, I don't drink at all -good thing.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm

Did my balance exercises again today -3 days in a row. Super happy and am finding it to be rolling into a habit. Also went for a 45 minute walk this morning. Then I had some exercise walking around the grocery store. I'd like to go back out for another short walk -15 minutes maybe-when it cools down some more. It's still almost 80 out there and 85 in here.

Took another walk around the 'larger loop' by us -25 minutes. Only my hip started bothering me -first time today -probably the last 10 minutes or so. I'm done for the day and have about 9,700 steps in. Finally!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:18 pm

Good job on consistency, Dee.

Rather intense PT hour today, so I am forgoing other exercise today. He complimented the dexterity of my unhurt right arm, with which I could easily reach up my center back and then touch same-side shoulder blade. But I know I'm losing ground muscularly throughout my body during this. Only one machine he wanted me to use there. Lots of caution. Oh well.

We chatted about all manner of fitness and health topics, so that was pleasant. The whole facility's Covid preparations were impressive. Today everyone was even directed to enter one doorway and exit another, which was yet a new wrinkle. That way, I didn't encounter anyone who came into the waiting area after I'd been called, or anyone coming into that hallway later than me.

Foodie thoughts
Cut into a near-perfectly ripened mango today. My own fresh tomatoes continue to be a staple. Last evening, a fruits and greens smoothie was super good. Haven't been able to find frozen beets for a while, so I'm glad I had beet powder here. Beets change a greens smoothie from Army green to purpleish, which is more appetizing, and they add a sweetness that is robust instead of light like fruits. Having to use HRH's Russet potatoes for hearty meals, because we can't find my gold potatoes, but I'm sure that will be temporary. In the garden, the sweet potatoes have beautiful foliage, so that is promising - maybe, maybe. A couple passion fruit are ripening.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:19 pm

I have been going out to change over the water for some steps and got on the exercise bike for a few min. I need to do some more on it.
Have unhealthy air in the valley today so I am limiting my outside activities.

Thurs.
I walked around the block and did some gardening, planted tulips, and move hoses,
and did 20 min. On the stat bike for my exercise.

Fri.
I did my walk for my exercise.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:19 pm

It's a long process I'm afraid, Harriet. When I had my shoulder replaced I went to PT for 18 months. They finally decided that the left arm really would never get better and they decided I was spending useless money. (This was because the muscles were detached from the joint and so much nerve damage). I'm just so thankful I can use my lower arm on that side. I can't even get my right arm to the middle of my back and certainly not to my shoulder blade. Hopefully the balance exercises I'm doing will help some with that over time. Which is my main reason for stopping by here. Figured I might be motivated to 1 -get out and go walking and 2-do the balance exercise routine so I can put day #4 in the books. Trying to self-motivate here.

Editing: Took a half hour walk and came back and proceeded to do my balance exercises. Takes me about 20-23 minutes to do those. Probably the best 1/4 hour or so that I can spend for myself! Guess the motivation worked and built on itself. Had over 11,000 steps yesterday but am only at 3,800 so far today. Will try to build a little more.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:04 pm

I'm glad to finally be building the habit of posting here. It definitely helps keep me motivated. Will be back later with today's accomplishments.

7:00pm: Did 65 minutes on my exercise bike in all -just too chilly for me to walk unfortunately. Then I did my Balance Exercises *5! Only 16 to go for a new habit, Right? Takes me about 22 +/- minutes to do them. Just have to decide to do them and START. (Begun is half done, right?)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Let’s see...
Wednesday I did two miles on my gazelle and walked a mile.
Thursday I got another two miles on my gazelle
Yesterday I did 3 miles on my gazelle

I have FB really been counting my steps because I haven’t been using my FIT BIT... might rethink that
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”