Health and Fitness, October 2020

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, October 2020

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:17 am

Tell us here about your health and fitness ta-das, inspirations, detours, progress and fun.

Let's go to walk! It's a good time for it, October - kinda in-between the more difficult weather bookends. There's an anonymous quote that says, “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” That goes for simple hikes, too. And that goes for pandemic, too. Toward year's end, if the weather says, "nope", we wouldn't want to look back at October and wonder why we didn't step out! When you can, take a photo along the way, just to remember a lovely trek.

Sometimes a walk can happen when another form of activity can't or shouldn't. It's low-impact and easy to tweak to just how much you can do on a certain day. And you might come home with a treasure - flower, pebble, leaf, answer to the world's problems, that sort of thing.

While most walkers choose to enjoy the warmth of summer, the idea of walking for miles in the hot weather isn’t for everyone. By walking during the cooler autumn season, not only do you tend to avoid the discomfort of sweating and insect bites, but you can also rely on the crisp, fresh air and bracing breeze to help you feel refreshed and alert on your journey. There is also something very comforting about wrapping up warm for a brisk walk in the autumn, while the cool weather also makes cosying up by the fire at the end of the day all the more satisfying. - Melody Evans, UK outdoor writer

Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2020

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:01 am

Grrrrr!!!

I told you this would be a battle! My weight is up almost a pound. Not giving up just makes me more determined to win it.

Stayed on my eating plan.
Gazelle 1.2 miles
64 oz of water

Stay focused, one day at a time, keep on keeping on :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:16 pm

Looking on the sunny side...

In an effort not to be waylaid by my fluctuating weight I decided to measure my waist and stomach area.

Good idea, because much to my delight I have lost an inch off my waist and 1/2 inch off my stomach area. I’ll take it!!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:59 pm

Sending out BWTG and POTB's to everyone who isn't giving up and continues to put effort toward their health.

My daily weigh-ins typically varied 2-4 lbs up and down. I try to weigh every day to keep myself from totally ignoring the scales. I tried the "weigh once a week" way but that seemed to give me permission to ignore the scales totally. So I use an excel spreadsheet to give me the average weight for the last 7 days. That evens out the daily ups/downs.

September's health goal was to log my food & drinks. I knew consistently doing this would have a learning curve with low success starting out. I logged my food 13 days during September. As I look at the days that I did a good job of logging everything I find this information is powerful. I am longing for more complete information. So I am going to repeat this food logging health goal for October.

Health things that I'm pleased with my effort in September-
** My steps are going up. I exceed my step goal 3 out of 4 weeks.
** Every week i exceed my exercise minute goal. I averaged 347 minutes a week during Sept (my goal is 150 minutes a week)
** 13 days of logging my food. The biggest thing for me is to admit what I am eating and not hide it from myself. Sounds crazy but sometimes I seem to act as if "If I don't log it then it didn't happen"
** I averaged 7.7 hours sleep with an average sleep score of 86.
** My oxygen level averaged 96%. It never went below 95%
** My temperature averaged 98.9 and stayed within my normal temperature range the entire month
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Great idea to log your daily food LadyM.

Since I usually eat the same way every day I found logging my food isn’t a help for me. I usually eat either eggs with veggies or my skinny muffin every break fast ... I usually alternate them. For lunch I eat a salad with either hard boiled eggs or 3 oz of chicken or turkey. For dinner I eat either 3-4 ozs of meat/fish/chicken, Veggies like green beans or squash or asparagus and a half of a small avacado. I have to be careful of the other veggies because of my stomach.

I drink 24 ozs of coffee, one decaf the other regular with 3 tbsp of cream. I also add two large spoonfuls of benefiber for my stomach. My downfall is if I make cookies of sweets for Sweetie. I like to test a few with the dough or the finish product. I put the cookies in a container and give them to Sweetie to keep in his office, cause if I see them I want to eat them.

I’ve gone back to either sticking a piece of gum when I cook or putting a pencil across my teeth. My bracelet is doing a good job reminding me not to reach for forbidden foods. Boy I needed that.

I do eat walnuts as a snack, but not every day and the same with string cheese. However if I find myself hunting for something to eat it usually means I’m either hungry or thirsty. I try to drink water but if that doesn’t work, I eat some precooked chicken I keep in my refrigerator and that helps.

I haven’t had a soda in weeks, but I do on occasion drink flavored seltzer water without any kind of sugar.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:31 pm

Short walk it is a bit hazy outside here today.
Fri. Also short walk i t was smojey.
Sat. Medium walk with dgd & the dog.
Sun. I did walking in segments.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:40 am

Holding steady...
Stayed on plan
80 ozs of water
3 miles on gazelle

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:46 am

Down a little...
Stayed on plan
64 ozs water
No gazelle ...never sat down from 8-4 working on the house

I’m beginning to think it’s the Zoloft I take for my sleeping with is causing my stall. It’s an anti-depressant but I take it to clam my brain at night so I can sleep. Gonna ease off of it and try some melatonin to see if it helps me sleep.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:01 pm

I hadn't transferred my weight numbers over to my spreadsheet since the first of June. Conclusions: My weight is trying to inch back up and I'm less consistent in weighing myself. My spreadsheet does a 10 day running average of my weight: That has inched up 3.6 lbs, mostly since the middle of August. It also tells me my "streak" of weighing myself. I had a streak running into June of 17 days. Since then I've had one streak of 12 and one of 10, so I've been far less consistent.

I haven't been able to get consistent with walking again. Part of the issue is that PT is taking a chunk out of my day three days a week, and I just hate to give up more to get enough steps in.

And I need to settle down on my eating. Vacation in Sept and then Jewish holidays also contributed.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:01 am

Need to get back on the wagon by posting in here again. My weight is up by about 2-3 pounds, but not surprising with this past week's escapades.

Saw my GP this morning. My lab #'s are pretty good for the most part. She did order another metabolic lab to be done next week -before I leave for Fl. Got my flu shot and a pneumonia shot. It was 20 years since my original. So I'm done for a while. Tetanus was up to date.

Dr. did change my Glipizide (diabetes) medication. She'd changed the evening to half a dose back in June. Now she's made my morning one a half dose as well. Going to try that for a month to see how it goes.

I was up to about 9,000 steps a day before my heart attack last week. In addition I was doing my balance exercises every day.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Healthy Habits”