Health and fitness, November 2020

Share healthy living habits.
LadyMaverick

Re: Health and fitness, November 2020

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm also one who blood test done this year shows higher LDL and total cholesterol than the AMA recommend. However, the more I research it, the more that I find this is only one indicator/symptom in a huge array of blood test results to consider. I have tried taking many cholesterol reducing drugs but have had a reaction to every one of them. So I started researching. The more in-depth that I looked the more I'm okay with listening to my body and not taking those drugs.

Some things that I looked at...
LDL to HDL Ratio: 3 to 1 or less (2:1 is ideal)
Triglyceride to HDL Ratio: 2 to 1 or less (1:1 or higher HDL than Tri are optimal)
Chol/HDLC Ratio <5.0
Lipoprotein (a) <75

When I look at my test results using these scales, then I'm all good. By the way - research Lipoprotein (a) test results. What I found says there is nothing you can eat or drugs you can take to change it.

Something I found interesting. I compared my own numbers over several years. 5 years ago my cholesterol numbers were high like this year. The years In between those two high blood tests show the total & LDL numbers were in the range the AMA likes. So 2 of the 5 years are high but the other 3 years in between them meet the AMA standard. Hum....
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 am

I'm on cholesterol lowering drug (A torvastatin 80mg), Lady M. But, RR, wrote a good piece (I think in October's HH) about Brazil nuts lowering cholesterol naturally -but you only need one every 3 or 4 days -too many could be toxic. So I usually eat one about every 3 days and see if it shows anything at my next draw. I'm in good control with meds but sure would like to lower it. Dh's stays so low that the Dr has him taking 1/2 a 10mg A torvastatin -simply to take high cholesterol out of his equation.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:31 pm

Dee.. It wasn't me who wrote about the nuts, but Runkitty. I am taking Red Rice Yeast each morning. It is a natural statin and my PA prescribed it too me when I told her I didn't want to take meds. I took it two years ago and it brought my cholesterol down, but like a fool, I quit taking it.

I am off on an other journey trying to bring me weight down which seems to be permanently stuck no matter what I do.

This time I am doing a controlled way of eating which involves a daily anti-inflammation drink and several other natural supplements, several which I am already taking. I am also drinking 100ozs of water a day. I am suppose to drink 20ozs of water in the morning before my feet even touch the floor. Oh my that's been really interesting. I can do it sometimes but must bee line it to the bathroom, sometimes running with my legs crossed :lol:

I have logged in 10k steps daily since Sunday. Yesterday I put more than 5 miles on my gazelle as my pedometer mal-functioned at some point after I had already done 3 miles on my gazelle. Fixed the problem and got back on. Good new is I can read my kindle while on the gazelle and still be able to keep up a good pace. I am also start to add some weight lifting work as well.

This eating program is designed to break down the body fat. It is almost the same eating plan that Adel used to loose her weight. However, she also did 2 hours of weight training with an expert, so I'll just have to see how all this goes.

Time for another bottle of water ;)
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Still waiting for a supplement to arrive, but I’ve still staying on my eating plan.

Got in 10k Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Not gonna happen today because I am trying to recover from my migraine.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:54 pm

This week doing the same type of stuff as last; walk , stat bike, & leaf duty.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Did not get steps in or stay on my eating plan... that usually happens when I have a migraine.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:48 am

Got more than my steps in yesterday. Being outside and around horses is good for my soul!
Drank my 100 ozs of water and stayed on my eating plan.

I added on of my favorite workouts this morning, so I'm ready to go. So happy I found it on Youtube. I did Les Miles Body Combat for years and was so happy to see my muscle memory was working. Now that I found it, I hope to add it to my morning routine. Just need to get up a tad bit earlier in the morning, but its so doable.

Had a crazy though yesterday and going to talk to my son about it. Want to do an over the night with him in the early spring if this virus will let me. May even get the vacination just so I could travel. It would allow me to see my mom as well.

If my son agrees on a trip together I will buy a backpack and start training with it. In my younger years I could hike for a week with a 60lb pack. However they are making backpacking equipment much lighter these days. May also look into an inflatable kayak, since I live so close to the river. I have a friend that keeps asking my to join her kayaking club. We shall see.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:37 pm

Was able to stay on my plan, got my 10I+ Steps in and drank my 100oz of water in yesterday.

Not gonna happen today. Woke with a migraine, to meds and went back to sleep. Glad I don’t need to cook today.

Return to “Healthy Habits”