Health and fitness, November 2020

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and fitness, November 2020

Postby Harriet » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:56 am

Welcome to our thread in which we encourage each other to stay fit, strong and healthy! What's new with you in November?

LadyMaverick

Re: Health and fitness, November 2020

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Harriet - Thank you for this H&F thread. You are so faithful to keep it going each month. I appreciate you!

It took me all day to finally decide on a health goal for November. At first I went for my typical goal - lose weight, walk a # of steps, do a # of exercise minutes, etc. Then I remembered when the ice storm happened and I was so limited on tools I had to use. There was one tool that I used and it was inspiring to me. I listened to podcasts relating to health and took notes while listening.

So my goal for November is to daily increase my awareness and knowledge by listening to podcasts, reading books, and/or watching youtube videos relating to health.

Today I'm listening to a podcast about the Difference Between Emotional Eating, Binge Eating, and Compulsive Overeating
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

RunKitty

Postby RunKitty » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:01 pm

I too am grateful for this thread, and particularly for the challenge Harriet issued in the November 2017 thread. I challenged myself to run every day of the week for at least two miles. Thatha bit led to improving my food choices and eventually becoming completely plant-based. That led to lsing the weight I needed to lose. Today is my third year anniversary of running at least two miles every day. I couldn't be happier about that decision.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Did my walk with the dog..
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:08 am

Wow that’s wonderful RunKitty!

My dr called last week and said my lab work was wonky. I had planned to go back to my trainer after she gave me the go ahead but then told me to hold off.

I have a telaconference with her in the morning to go over the results. One thing I do know that she told me is that my cholesterol is high which is strange cause I eat pretty healthy. So I am doc everything I’ve been eating since last Monday and I eat very little of anything that would shoot it up that way.

Tw years ago my PA said my cholesterol was a bit high so she started me on red rice yeast. Last year it was down so of course I quit taking it... plus for the past 4 or more years I’ve been doing weight training but had to quit do to the virus. And also with my stomach issues I ate rather poorly off and on over this year.

Anyway we’ll see what she says.

The one concern I do have is my hair is falling out big time again and even the shampoo I am using which stopped from happening in the past isn’t working. I don’t know my PA tested my thyroid with this panel, but if it’s off it would explain why though I’ve been eating VERY clean these las two months I haven’t lost much weight. Know hair loss is a big sign as well as dry skin, which is something I battle with all the time as well.

Remember my skin dr cautioned me about taking more than two showers a week... I do wash off daily...plus I use special lotion to wash with... no soap.... and use sesame seed oil on my body morning and night.

So who knows what’s going on...‘I trust and love my PA and she knows me well so we’ll see what she has to say in the morning.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:28 am

I already struggling, three days in from the beginning of the week, to get in steps. I've decided to let the steps fall where they might this week - I'll do what I'm doing but I don't have the bandwidth to put in much more. When I'm done with PT, that will help a little.

My weight is trying to inch up a bit. I am up about 5 lbs from my low this summer and need to watch the snacks and extras.

RR, I hope you get your results sorted out and a plan in place.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Tues. I did 30 min. On the stat bikes.
Walked the dog a at the park a bit.
Did some shopping.
Walked the dog around the block.

Wondering how stress effects cholestrol.
According to google yes.
I know it has a negative effect on my bs #.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:30 pm

RunKitty - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so very happy for you! You are doing WAAAAY past excellent!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:15 pm

Ok so now I need to watch my cholesterol levels.

It’s difficult because I eat so clean most times anyway. PA thinks my high levels might be hereditary so that makes it more difficult to control... even fish, chicken and beef have anywhere from 80-100 mg of cholesterol depending on serving sizes

I was unable to find how much daily cholesterol is too much. Best I can figure out a person should consume no more that 10% of his/her daily caloric intake... I usually eat around 1200 calories a day so that means I need to stay under 120mg of cholesterol ... right now just watching what I’be been eating this week I’m a tap below that. So no dairy is the major part of the fat that I consume.

Need to make sure I am getting my daily exercise in. It would help if the temps dropped below 90+ each day. Guess my Gazelle will have to do for now.

So...
Yesterday I had
110 mg of cholesterol
3.5 miles on my gazelle
48ozs water
2 red rice yeast tablets
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:04 am

RRose, I hope you get your diet / cholesterol figured out. I struggled with mine until I gave in and went on a low dose statin. I'm watching carefully for symptoms I don't want any part of from those. Red yeast rice did not work at all for me. Dr. told me my fiber drink should help with that also, yours probably does too.

Sigh...no progress here. I'm struggling. We've had such a stressful year.

Return to “Healthy Habits”