Health and Fitness, January 2021

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, January 2021

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:12 am

It's 2021, a year in need of optimism! The calendar's not bringing optimism automatically, you know. No matter how much we deserve it :roll: we still have to make it ourselves! Here's a thought:

“You’re only one workout away from a good mood.” —anonymous quote from gym poster

Is that true for you? Does activity and exercise lift your mood? Do you find that you brighten up when you either 1) do a planned activity/work out, or 2) have just finished working out (even if you were personally against doing it when you started :lol: ) . Maybe it really IS endorphins that are released when we are active, or maybe (and I highly suspect this!) it's the delight in finishing and being able to say that it's in the "done" column. ;)

No matter which of those makes the most difference for us, a consistent plan for being active can bring us out of the doldrums and make the rest of each day's tasks more possible, more cheerful.

Have you got an activity goal or maybe a nutrition or other health goal to tell about?

We chat here about all aspects of health, with an eye to building strength for the calling of Homemaker. Taking care of ourselves is vital, but it also means a better chance at taking care of those around us. We hope you will join us.

Tell here about your ideas, plans or resolutions for whatever span of time ahead inspires YOU! (Your month, your plan for an upcoming calendar event, your year of 2021 !)

And be sure to report on your news - progress made, proactive health measures taken, milestones reached. And if you've had frustrations, this is the place to tell that, too, because we all understand. Oh boy, do we understand.

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2021

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:58 am

Harriet, thanks so much for faithfully opening this place up for our dreams and stresses and all the rest!

I weighed this morning after a hiatus and am about where I have been, about 7 lbs up from where I sat for a lot of the year. I need to enter what I have into my Excel sheet this a.m. and start paying attention again.

I dumped my Coffee mate Peppermint Mocha down the sink - bought a bottle for the holidays as an indulgence, but need to reset my sweet tooth. I've been indulging in all kinds of sweets over the holidays.

And today brought the first day of Dryuary - dry January. My wine drinking sneaks up on me and a reset will be good for weight and mood and health all around. It's the third or fourth year I've done it...

DH has gone for a walk, I am going to start tracking steps on Sunday, when a new Fitbit week starts. And I need to start doing those PT exercises - I feel better when I do...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:07 pm

I have on the size of pant on that I just got they are too big.
Not a bad problem, but the next size down is too small.

I have had 4 trips to the basement with items for yard sale or to donate, with lock down I am
not sure the thrift shop is open.

I did 30 min. On the stat bike.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 pm

I'm working on getting stronger this year. And the never ending process of weight loss. Bike ride today showed me just how badly I need this. I think I'll get out my bin of too small or don't like how they look clothes and just look at them... for motivation.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:41 am

I’m with you Harmony.... I was doing great will I got waylaid with my stomach issues. It takes a
Couple of weeks to get back to normal and deal with the pain it causes.

I would love to get back to walking, but unpredictable bathroom issues keep me close to home. So it’s back on my trusty gazelle ... it’s 15 years old and must have 15k miles on it by now.... and some online workouts. I have the weights I need, just need to start using them again and...

I’m thinking about getting my bike out again. Perhaps we can ride together :D

Nancy... how long have you had your gazelle?
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Our eliptical sits unused for a couple years now. DH says we can give it away. I never could get more than 5 minutes at a time on that thing even at the lowest resistance. We use our bikes more than any piece of equipment we ever had. I had a different kind of stepper for a while. That got donated too.

So, today I looked at all my records. I have numbers for 2009, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 2020 and I've started 2021. I made a little chart with these columns: year, beginning weight, ending weight, lowest weight, highest weight. It definitely shows a trend. Overall there's been little change just a slight drift up and down with emphasis on up. A couple years I exercised the most I also drifted upward. I'm trying not to deduct from all this that there is no hope, that things are always going to be the same or a bit worse. I wish I could go back to 2016. That was a good year.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:26 pm

I got 30 min. Done on stat bike today.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:21 pm

So, I've been doing a bit of thinking about all this. Why was my 2016 this successful? What was going on that year? I went back into pwyc to 2016 to see what I was doing then. I was busy busy busy all the time. Running errands, doing mounds of paperwork, as much housework as I could just to keep up. My overall 'tone' sounded more positive, and I rarely posted about worrying so much about DH though I mentioned it once or twice. Our healthcare threads in 2016 and some from 2015 were very interesting too.

So, I looked at a lot of stuff, what I was thinking about retirement, where DH was and me, health-wise, and it was very interesting. We were getting ready to sell the rental and had redone that so that stress was gone. DH was in a good place, having 'fixed' his 1st hip and other health things hadn't begun yet.

Apparently I didn't do any great sewing projects but I did read a lot. Looking at my reading journal, I read a lot that year. DH was out of the house a lot so I wasn't watching non-stop news. I do know why I quit making progress and never quite got started right again... but that's not unusual for me. Inertia you know.

I'm still pondering how much things have changed and what that all means.

If anyone wants motivation for healthcare, go back to 2016 and read. Many of us were posting a lot, looking into scientific studies, figuring out the best things to do, sharing a lot, filling in charts, etc. I don't see a lot of that happening presently or at least posting about it. Did we all give up? I sure hope not!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:19 pm

I have had the gazelle several years it squeeks and I do not use it much h used to get on it. Got it on the road side after a yard sale for $5.oo.
I have been up and down the stairs at least three times today rounding up donation items counting that for some exercise.
Got 30 min. On the stat bike.
Ramblin oil did not help mine.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 pm

Nancy... mine is at least 15 years old. I do oil it with WD2 oil a couple of times a year to keep it from squeezing
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”