Health and Fitness, April, 2021

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, April, 2021

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:34 am

Welcome! This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

It's an unusual month as some of us can at least start taking an assessment of what it's meant to be in lockdown. Not that we're out of it! (some cities/countries/areas are just going back in, to deal a new blow to the pandemic) But able to take stock of how we've been affected, what we couldn't change, what we want to change.

Thought of weight lately? :roll: Is that a dirty word?

"The Quarantine 19" has become a sort of dark joke linking the name/date of the virus to how many pounds those in lockdown might have gained. A previous, casual estimate was that 1.5 pounds gain per truly locked-down month would be an average for an adult, due to changed activity, changed social interaction and a different dependence upon food and drink.

But a week ago, the Journal of the American Medical Association, JAMA, published a study that sets a more scientifically calculated estimate of 2 pounds per month. :| This makes "the 19" into much less of an April fools' joke than a new challenge for what may be a majority of people, who will face weight loss in a new way. Joined by many (many) others, and able to understand the reason for their challenge, the study authors hope people will give attention to their weight in healthy, self-affirming ways, with no finger-pointing at themselves or others.

Actually, we here really don't care how many pounds each of us is frowning at lately, upon glancing scale, mirror or tight clothes. BUT we are fascinated by each other's wisdom on the subject and good ideas! What do you think?

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, April, 2021

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:53 am

Thanks for starting us out this month Harriet. Yes quarantine weight gain is real. I held my own for several months, only to gain 10 lbs over the fall and winter. Dh has as well, I think it's probably slacking up on our good eating habits for both of us. I have heard rumors he eats pizza now and then at his office, and I know he eats lunch out most days. I don't have that excuse. I need to get my head right and focused.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:13 pm

I walked the dog around the block and was happy to be healthy enough to do that after I had
gotten groceries walked around doing that for some steps.
I am grateful for my exercise routines and that my pants still fit!
Thought of the gardening I can do and it does not need a mask and helps with my cv-19 fatigue too.
I put out some baskets a bit early for plants they had toms at the store I saw.
This is the 1st day this week we have not had frost.
Sawing limbs is great exercise too.
Moved 2 piles of other limbs off the lawn another area is cleared now yea!

Fri. I walked the dog.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:17 pm

Been a while since I popped in here. Stepped on the scales this morning and I finally broke through the barrier into the 150's. It was 159.8 but at least that second # is now a 5 and I'm striving to keep it that way!

I didn't exercise Saturday or Sunday but was back at it yesterday. My BP seems to be coming down a bit. Sure part of that is the antibiotic and partly due to excerciseing. Whatever it is I am happier with both numbers finally budging!

Also got my 2nd vaccine today and hoping not to feel too many side effects.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Mon. Did a sesson on the stat bike, I walked the dog, & mowed the yard..
Tues.I have done stat bike, shopped & walked today.
Wed. Sat bike time 30 min. Walk dog Done
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:28 pm

Happy for you, Dee! What a good-looking scale window you have, there. :D Glad your bp has relaaaxxxxed.... .. back into the real you.

A small success happened to me last evening. While dd22 had been at dd41's for a week, her back ached some because of the long drive and work they were doing around the house. Dd41 had given her pointers on t-tapp isometric work for the lats (bra line across the back, for instance). Dd22 was rather haphazardly doing some last evening and I still caught a form mistake or two. So I took her through a serious step-by-step lesson on it and took it quite a bit farther out to upper arm work that would help the upper back. I noticed she was putting up with me when normally she would have insisted she knew all this and didn't need a "trainer", lol. Eventually, she teased me about being so intense.

Only when we were finished did it dawn on me that she was amused because I had gone further with my rotator cuff and had held tight, braced positions with it for longer periods, than I have since hurting it. I guess I was so focused on her needs and kind of forgot to be gentle with my shoulder. I had no pain through the night and none today until trying to shut the heavy truck door (always, always a wincing point). So I really count that a victory.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:43 pm

Harriet I enjoyed reading your post.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 pm

How to fight Covid at home: this is from a nurse to a patient who posted it on our neighborhood website.

1. sleep on stomach at all times, never on your back because it smashes your lungs & will allow fluid to set in. Sleep on your side if you can't sleep on your stomach. (edited that, said if you can't sleep on your back the first time, that was wrong).

2. Every 2 hours get out of bed and walk for 15-30 minutes no matter how tired or weak you are. Move your arms around frequently. This helps open your lungs. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, helps build up your lungs plus help get rid of pneumonia or other fluid.

3. When sitting in a recliner, sit up straight, do not lie back, this will smash your lungs. While watching TV get up and walk during every commercial.

4. Eat at least 1-2 eggs a day plus bananas, avacado and asparagus. Good for potassium. Drink Pedialyte, Gatorade zero, powerade zero and water with electrolytes to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Do not drink anything cold, use room temp or warm it up. Water w/ lemon & a little honey, peppermint tea, apple cider are good for getting fluids. No milk products or pork. Vit D3, c b zink Probiotic one-a-day are good. Tylenol for fever. Mucinex or Mucinex DM for drainage plus they help the cough. Pepcid helps for cramps in your legs. 1 baby aspirin every day can help prevent getting a blood clot.

5. Drink a smoothie of blueberries, strawberries, bananas, honey tea and a spoonful or 2 of peanut butter.

Good instructions? Sounds good to me!
Last edited by Harmony on Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:36 am

That's all so interesting, Harmony, especially the timed rising from bed and tv chair, moving arms. The eggs confuse me because eggs have almost no potassium. Love the smoothie ingredients - sounds good anytime! The dairy warning makes lots of sense as dairy can mean more mucus. Thanks!

Oh, thank you, Nancy!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:26 am

Harriet, I thought maybe the eggs was to get enough protein every day. If one is drinking fruit based things and eating fruits, one must balance that with protein too to keep blood sugar levels even, right? I was thinking maybe Sunny read this because they are apparently drinking Gatorade at their house.

Return to “Healthy Habits”