Health and Fitness, May 2021

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, May 2021

Postby Harmony » Fri May 14, 2021 11:44 am

Blessed, we can try to conquer this together. Evenings are my worst time. If I go to bed with an empty tummy I can't sleep. Yep, pasta. Carbs of any kind, really. I did ok yesterday and had a happy feeling. Good luck!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 pm

blessed and Harmony, ya'll are inspiring. You have such good attitudes and ideas. I have fallen off my previous routine of a little-potato, cooked and ready in the fridge to eat at night. For a while, it was what helped me avoid other foods in the evenings. Either by eating it or deciding that if that's all I'd allow, I didn't want it enough to eat, lol. Maybe I'll try that again.

I had to improvise my morning workout. Because the remote to the DVD player had its batteries run out, I couldn't switch the floor workout DVD to the one that I'm used to, and could only access the first one on the DVD, which is longer. Also, it's tougher on the arm. So I did a 45-minute floor workout, but it was challenging. My arm objected but so far hasn't continued. Have changed out the batteries now - couldn't this a.m. because I'd wake the house. I have enough sense not to do that a second day in a row, and press my luck.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 16, 2021 10:49 pm

Took the day off - it's Sunday anyway, and that's a likely off day. But happy to report, no more protests from the arm, so I'm getting away with more use of it.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon May 17, 2021 10:49 am

I'm trying taking 10mg of my glipizide (Glucose med) in the morning and will try taking none at night. BS is so out of whack. I had a pretty generous 'sugary' breakfast yesterday and before lunch yesterday BS was 288 -never that high. Then I took it before bed as I felt kinda lousy -55- so ate chocolate to counteract and it was still only 68 this morning. Still too low. So, I will see what happens if I do this for a couple of days.

I find it interesting if I have a meal with potatoes, Harriet, my BS later is quite low. For instance last night we had a dish of potatoes, kielbasa, onions and peppers all cooked together. Oh so good, but obviously doesn't do my blood sugar. And I find it interesting if we have a meal involving corn and potatoes -such as we do a low country boil in foil packets on the grill- it's always low after. You'd think there'd be enough carbs in both to keep my BS up. ;)
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:03 am

praying your sugars equal out!!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon May 17, 2021 8:15 pm

Dee - fast carbs go up fast, and down fast to sometimes end up lower.
Slow carbs take their time to be absorbed and you don't get the after crash.
What you combine fast carbs with can slow them down, so thats why the same food can sometimes lead to a crash, or be more sustainable.
In broad terms having it with protein, oil, spices were meant to slow the digestion, if I remember correctly.
Also 3 teaspoons of protein might not be enough to counter (for instance) a serve rice or potatoes.

Maybe make a lists of combos that crash, and those that don't in your own real life.

I've mostly been doing better having a variety in 3 meals daily.
restated the Qv10 mentioned by Harriet, and a ginko (? spelling) combo substituted for the one a long ago yoga person said helped her.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 18, 2021 12:34 am

Sorry you had a spike and sorry you had a confusing low. Right, the fiber in the starchy vegetables (well, corn is a grain but still helping, lol) are protecting you from a spike. Beans will do that, too. When HRH was eating everything in sight because of the prednisone steroid and also having blood sugar troubles because of the exact same prednisone steroid :roll: , eating two meals each day that included his beloved pintos helped immensely.

Of course, you want to keep on that even keel Lynlee is talking about and balance fiber, perhaps, with fruits? The pineapple meal dd and HRH like so much right now is ladled over brown rice to serve. I think that's why we always comment later that we feel better after it than after other pineapple dishes. And it even uses the pineapple juice in which to simmer the meat, which is not meat for us of course but could be. The peppers and onion add a little more fiber (like they would have in your meal), so I can see why we get away with such a sweetened dish. Lynlee's got a point - nothing beats trial and error of checking what your own body "likes".

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:02 am

beans protect the spikes from happening - is it a slow release food? very interesting.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:04 am

I went off track again last night. I know its boredom and laziness and that my brain goes on autopilot. I don't have problems with control during the day. If I don't make a good supper early in the day then I eat everything in sight where I feel terrible.

I made a menu for today - wishing my brain stays off autopilot today.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue May 18, 2021 11:57 am

Yes to Harriet - I'd forgotten fiber rich in that list.
Like carbs, not all fruit and veg are equal on the slow food thing, and I don't mean how close they are grown to where they are eaten.

Blessed there is a hearty mix of fiber, protein and carbs in beans - not the green garden ones, though maybe I'm just unsure of those.

Dee - nothing beats a food diary with times of meals, along with BS checks.

Its been a while since I did that.
Last thing I 'worked out' was that msg foods gave me a low. (as a personal thing, not saying it does that to everyone. ) I also found out that chicken and salad meal added nothing to the bs result, and it was still low enough to need a little more food if I wanted to do anything.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”