Health and Fitness, May 2021

Share healthy living habits.
LadyMaverick

Re: Health and Fitness, May 2021

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue May 18, 2021 12:44 pm

nothing beats a food diary with times of meals, along with BS checks.

So true.
I've found that as I age that my body reacts differently to foods. What used to be okay will now cause me MAJOR problems. Having a food diary keeps me aware.

For example - strawberries give me horrible heartburn. HUH? I would have probably never figured that out without having a food diary. After I tested that out a few times I knew it was a fact. Then I tested eating strawberries with cool whip and I didn't get heartburn. Apparently, the cool whip neutralizes whatever is in the strawberry that bothers my stomach.

I have kept a diary of every food and amount I've eaten for the past 34 days. Every single day I learn something new from having this information. Some of the things I learn are useful and other things just mess with my mind. :) Things that I would have sworn I rarely eat are appearing more than I would have believed if I didn't have these documented facts. And the reverse is true too. I thought I regularly ate almost all the vegetables. Today I went to log cucumber and celery only to discover it is the first time I've eaten them in the last 34 days.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed May 19, 2021 9:40 am

I forget my food diary once evening comes - I think I will carry my book with me since I am in the house anyway.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Had my annual with gyno I've only seen once. She's alright, not great. Several times she misunderstood my questions and went off answering what she thought I said. She tried to be nice, though. She mentioned me having lots of hair, in a nice way, in the way of her stethoscope and laughed. But just try to turn the conversation to stress - nope, no time for that on schedule.

Mainly, I'm just glad to get away from there for a year. That's an exam that's fraught with potential eeeewwww.

Good news was teenager blood pressure like my daddy always used to have. Bad news (tmi sorry) was her general opinion that I have "delicate" skin. Also tmi is that, believe me, I already know. :| I told dd later that it was a "we're not spring chickens anymore" kind of opinion. (That's when dd said, "eeeewwww! " Lol)

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 20, 2021 4:26 pm

Reading here with interest. The day before dd I left - last Thursday - I apparently did not eat enough in the afternoon - we were to go out to eat and I didn't want to fill up at 4 p.m. - and got nauseated. I got on into the car to meet dh, but threw up in the car (sorry if TMI, thank goodness I had a bag.)

I'm thinking I need to have blood work done, and pay more attention to having regular meals, like Lynlee said, of protein, fat and slow carbs, the way I've been aiming to eat for a couple of years. I've been "on vacation" for quite awhile and the last week with dd, was of course, horrible eating. Fast food (I never get fast food here in town) and Door dash and irregular meals. The hotel did not have a hotel breakfast so we had to venture out to purchase breakfast and there's no fruit without something sugary available most places.

I'm afraid to get on the scale in the a.m. but I must, and will. Although I might have an extra glass of wine tonight in relief of being home, sweet home, and this trip being over.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu May 20, 2021 4:47 pm

That was one of my first symptoms when I was diag. Diabetes throwing up.
Before the days I had a home test regime to monitor my blood sugar levels.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 21, 2021 8:34 am

Weight was (surprisingly) roughly the same this a.m. Within a lb of last reading, in the range I've been in, which is still 10 lbs more than a year ago.

Need to work on eating habits and exercise, tho. DfriendM was doing a long walk this a.m. - I turned down because so much to do in terms of unpacking, laundry and getting back to a routine.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri May 21, 2021 8:54 am

Twins - re fats - I think my comment was about in relation to sugars. You would be well advised to get individual nutritional recommendations by a trained dietitian or nutritionalist.
TMI - That said, my ability to digest fats increased when I ate more of them.

I'm not eating well enough. Often its just 2 meals, and a few crackers, and not enough water.
I did sleep a little better last night.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 27, 2021 10:01 am

I filled out my weight tracking spreadsheet for the first time since Feb, when I had updated it for several months before that.

Observations:
-my weight held steady 1 May 2020 - 1 Aug 2020
-stealthy gain fall 2020, although I was able to hold steady for 1 Dec - 1 Jan
-3.5 lb loss noted on 1 Feb because of better eating habits + Dryuary for new year
-7 lb gain noted from 1 Feb through 1 May

I broke below 170 this a.m. after eating well since we got home from NJ.

The insulin resistance diagnosis wasn't a surprise - I had blood work done this week after another nausea sick spell when I got too hungry. But it is a bit of a wake up call.

I need to:
-eat better and regularly
-lose weight/get BMI to "normal"
-walk/exercise regularly
-start follow up exercises for hips and pelvic floor/core as prescribed by PT last fall

This next week and a half all I can probably do is eat better, restart exercises and walk a little more. I don't like beach walking because it's so hot/humid later in the day and I like to sleep late. I will restart hip exercises while at the beach. That is one set of two prescribed. Small steps.

Return to “Healthy Habits”