Health and Fitness, June 2021

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, June 2021

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:23 pm

As homemakers, when we take care of ourselves, we increase the strength, stamina, resistance and optimism we have to enjoy life and to be nurturing to others, whether in our homes, extended families or community.

Welcome to our thread about benefiting health and fitness! We are challenging ourselves to greater well-being and encouraging well-being in our family members. Each of us is learning - recognizing needs and finding personal balance.

Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness, June 2021

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Yesterday I started my swimming program. My neurologist wants to make sure I exercise every day to help keep my migraines at bay. So I started swimming laps. I’m not fast but just want to getter done. I expect my speed will increase as my strength does.

I’m not to concerned about a ridge weight program as my two days at the care center loading bales of hay and feeding the wilds are quite physically demanding on my body.

Will also add some glider time as well.

Although I’m eating healthy my weight has stalled so we decided to half the amount of Zoloft I am taking because it can effect weight loss. The Zoloft helps me to sleep which is the only trigger I have ever been able to find that may or may not contribute to my headaches. When I go for a while with only what I call twilight sleep, my migraines begins to show up. I need to reach REM to help keep them at bay.

I find if I dream I don’t usually wake with a migraine. For several years while I was taking prescribed sleep meds I never had a migraine, but as soon as I quite taking them, my migraines returned. I don’t believe in cowinkiedinks :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:26 pm

Back to tracking my food. Staying under 1200 calories and increasing my activities. Couldn’t swim cause I didn’t know when the pool guy would show up.

Bought goggles to help with my lap swimming. Will hit the pool late today.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:40 am

I'm tracking my food and macros.

I've designed some boundaries into my eating plan as well as having some play area every day. I have about 700 calories each day that is devoted to make sure I meet my nutrition goals. I eat a variety of fruit, fresh and cooked vegetables every day. Then I have about 500 calories of whatever tickles my fancy that day. Nothing is off-limits. However, I know if I eat too many processed carbs then my joints will ache. That knowledge of how they affect my body keeps the desire for processed carbs to a minimum.

I have been narrowing down a formula that works for my body 95% of the time. Steps divided by calories. If the answer is under 20% then I will most likely lose weight. When the answer is over 20% then I will gain weight. Using this formula has resulted in losing 10 pounds over the last 50 days.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:43 am

LadyM...
Congrats on the weight lost!!! I take it you decided not to do Noom.

I am sort of doing the same. Proteins, veggies and fruit. I was missing eating fruit so decided to add it. I am also adding some dark chocolate made with stevia to my plan.

I find I am hungry at bedtime, something that is new to me and determined I’m not eating enough at dinner. Now it’s four ounces of protein along with a veggie and a salad. Sometimes I save my apple and cook it in the microwave after dinner for dessert and sometimes I’m like Nancy and eat sugar free jello. I am also including some bread every other day.

I very seldom eat processed food. I know from past experiences that is a sure trigger for my weight gain. And having a dinner ready from when I come home from the horses knowing I’ll be tired and dirty has been a big help.

Also honest thinking has been a big help as well.

Yesterday I stayed on my eating plan. I just started wearing my Fitbit again. I’d rather go by my phones pedometer but sometimes I forget to put it in my back pocket or I’m not wearing something with a back pocket to put it in. My Fitbit and pedometer never track the same and are usually way off from each other. Same with my glider. Anyway we’ll see where this leads.

Forgot to add I am tracking my food and it’s calories. Not using any fancy app, just a notebook and pen. I really like this as I can add notes or suggestion to myself as I discover them.

I also need to add more water to my day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:30 pm

I did Noom for a month and REALLY like it. I like it better than any program I've tried. However, I found myself implementing similar tactics by using my own excel worksheet. At first, I was doing them both (excel & Noom) Each day I would update my excel worksheet and then if I had time I would do Noom. After a while, I wasn't doing Noom at all so I stopped it. If I wasn't such a big excel user then I would most definitely stay with Noom. The thing I like about Noom is the daily lessons with mini-quizzes to make sure you are understanding them. They ask that you spend 3-15 minutes a day reading their teachings. They won't allow you to do more than 15 minutes a day which worked well because I spent the rest of the day thinking about what I learned. They provide someone to work with you by text or phone but I wasn't interested in that service. I kept notes on what Noom lessons taught me and will review them. I remember the first question they asked at the beginning of the program. It went something like this....

What is the most important thing you can do if you want to lose weight?
** Eat low carb
** Eat low fat
** Eat low calorie
** Believe you can

I missed this question. This is when I realized I needed to work on my many thought distortions. Noom helped me realize that.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:11 am

Today’s weight is the lowest it’s been in two years if I trust the scale. Haven’t used it in awhile and will feel more excited if it shows the same in the morning.

Yesterday my pedometer’s steps were 11044
Fitbit 780
Glider 3 miles

This is why I don’t trust Fitbit

I moved the Fitbit closer to my wrist and we’ll see if that makes a difference

I stayed on my eating plan, but need to drink more water.

Today I will fill my thermos with half Gatorade and half water. I drink it plus much more in the heat which means I should reach over 80ozs for the day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:21 am

Congrats LadyM! That is great!

I'm back home and eating better. Weight up from trip too.

Breakfast is two eggs plus an egg white, and approx 1/2 cup garbanzo beans with some of my just picked tomatoes and basil, and tossed with fresh mozzarella and olive oil.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:38 pm

Yesterday I got in 11,770 steps. I was so tired this morning from not sleeping well that I forgot to weigh myself.

I am measuring and weighing my food and am interested to see how that will effect my weight loss.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:59 am

Hurray!!! It’s true, it’s true, it’s true!!!

I am at my lowest weight in two years! And I broke my first major goal!
Steps: 10717

And I am enjoying all the food I am eating. No specific diet, just 1200 calories or lower, eating three meals a day and eating what I want... I am careful about fat. I’m even eating some dairy and fruit. I’m not hungry and I’m not craving sweets.

Return to “Healthy Habits”