Health and Fitness July, 2022

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness July, 2022

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:56 am

Happy mid-point of the year of 2022!

A time for pats on the back - don't neglect those for yourself! I remember lucylee sharing with us her thinking at one time, how she hadn't done as well as she'd like, but if she hadn't been intentional and hadn't been paying attention, just think where she might have been!

Nancy has been doing a stretching program and through it defeated leg cramps.
Ramblin' has been taking classes at her gym and has decided against too much scale watching.
LadyM has completed a 40-day plan, learning how her blood glucose responds to certain foods.
.....(oh, and another small thing. She lost 8 pounds in that 40 days, but, hey no biggie, right?)

Confetti Streaming~¤
♫ .♥.•* ☀¨`*•♫.•´*.¸☀.•´♥
┊ ┊ O┊☀┊ ┊ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀ ┊ ┊ O ♥
☀ ┊┊ ☀ه ¤
ه┊ ☀

Twins' Mom and Harriet have decided on "things will be different".
How about you?
Stay tuned for details !

Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness July, 2022

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:15 pm

I've decided to start eating breakfast late again. I really don't believe it bothers me, and it helps me have a longer window without food. I used to have fruit only and then wait for brunch. That was years ago. I always felt well, but worried through the times/years we were hearing the concept of how you simply MUST eat breakfast or else you would gain weight. Always a big hassle for someone taking thyroid meds.

But insisting on a breakfast when I'm not hungry doesn't really suit me, so that will be my "things will be different".

Now I want to try waiting for noon to eat a relatively large meal. Been doing that since very late June (I know - so much research, right? lol) and I'm pleased. My hormone dr gave a thumbs up to the idea the other day, because I don't seem to have any blood sugar issues. The only discomfort I've had is when HRH had an appt at mid-morning after stressful night and we drove in the bright but hazy sunshine and I went into a migraine. Don't think that had anything to do with food timing.

2 self-trickery changes ;) :

My other "things will be different" is to buy a new and different mint toothpaste - just to have something to notice and remember. I'm brushing my teeth earlier in the evenings, and the new tube reminds me when I notice it in the bathroom through the day. You just can't snack late with mint in your mouth.

I bought a flavor of soft drink we don't like. This way, if we really want carbonation, it's here, but we wouldn't look forward to it.

I got the appt with hormone dr out of the way. Everything was fine. I asked why particularly she wanted me on Armour rather than Synthroid and got a nice long explanation of T-3 and T-4, etc., and there being no need for the body to convert with Armour. It's just something I wanted to ask again because it's more expensive. After leaving BCBS for Medicare, I've found out that there's much less insurance help for Armour than Synthroid, and that includes any of the additional insurance companies. I wonder if I should switch to a potentially cheaper place, but that's yet another trip to make.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:19 am

Harriet - Thank you for this thread and sharing what is working for you. i find it inspiring and motivating.

I've decided to do another 40 day challenge with myself. I am trying to keep it simple. 0, 1, 2, 3
0 = Zero sugar
1 = One big green salad
2 = Two cups of cooked vegetables
3 = Stop eating three hours before bedtime.
July 4th through August 12th will be my 40 day time frame for this challenge. I eat more than salad and cooked vegetables during the 40 days. But everything else I eat is optional and varies from day to day. I'm not seeking perfection but participation from myself on a daily basis.

The nutritional class I took last month continues to fill my thoughts and influence my food choices. I plan to do that class again because there was so much information given that it was like trying to drink from a fire hose. I couldn't implement all the information and I am sure it would be beneficial to go through the class material again. I copied and saved all the information & assignments the teacher gave each day so I can easily go through it again. However, I need a break from the detailed daily food tracking the class required. The 0,1,2,3 challenge doesn't require any food tracking, so it seems simple and easy.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:53 pm

Mon. Was out walking by 6:15 today.
Tues. short one I think earlier.
Wed. early and I even ran a bit nice gently one surprised myself.
Thurs. 4:30 lovely sun rise
Fri. 4:00 nice and cool but dark had to take a flash lite.
added stairs need to up that to three trips bc of hot temps out side.
Remembering I have a gazelle in the basement and stat bike upstairs.

V8 added mid day a few times a week for veg.
No noodle casserole freeze ahead meals is great not much meat in it.
Adding more salads and greens.

Scales are not moving but clothes are fitting better.
Got new tee shirts really needed them.

Learnend this week not cool to have a metal hiking pole if it is stormy outside! :o

Journaling helps when stressed instead of turning to food.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:13 pm

It does turn out that every day is different regarding my hunger levels in the morning/noon. Even though I had a filling meal of baked potato under corn, black beans and my homemade guacamole last evening, this morning I was honestly dealing with a growling tummy by 10:30 and decided to cook, eating by 11:00 rather than noon. Perhaps I'll figure out the "why" this happens rarely and perhaps i wont. There are a lot of variables, of course.

It does make life interesting. HRH has a distant appt tomorrow at 10:00 a.m., expected to take extra time. Hmmm. At any other iffy time before, I'd probably have stuck a banana in my pocketbook, but my plan was to eat full meals when I did break the fast, not "graze". We'll see.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:15 pm

Well, I grazed out of genuine need. Had the banana on the way home and was glad of it. When we finally got home, I threw together a Poor Girl's Meal and was fine, it's just that it was quite late by then. After 2:00 when I finished. I hadn't intended to have a window of eating in which I would eat throughout. I'd still wanted specific breakfast, lunch and supper, certainly having time in between, and was assuming 12, 4, 8. Life definitely gets in the way of plans that are too definite. Hmmm ... .. It's not as if every day has to be the same, though.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:36 pm

up and walking 5:30 ish the last two days.
Gardening done in the a m .

I've been walking early this week.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:14 pm

Had neglected to come in and tell about dd42's purchase of the rather expensive powder to make smoothies that she ultimately gave to me. She bought it with hope and in fact got a "deal" for a large-ish quantity but didn't like the taste. She immediately bought an inexpensive, tastier one and never looked back, so, plop, it was into my lap. I evidently have the reputation of eating unusual things, which is probably true, if it turns out to be good for me.

It is called Ka'chava and I've even seen a tv commercial for it now. It's claim to fame is how very many nutritious ingredients it has, from several mushrooms to berries, roots, seeds and greens. All dried into this natural powder, based like most of them are, on peas and grain.

Truthfully, I don't think the taste of any smoothie powder is great. For my purposes, since I'm going to start out with frozen berries and mango anyway, it doesn't matter. As a general rule, I've found strawberries cut through the taste of any of the powders best, kind of taking over, lol. The greens I use don't usually have a strong enough taste to make a difference against fruit. I've found some powders can be improved with a teaspoon of cocoa to make them chocolate flavored, as long as there is fruit, even half a banana.

Bottom line on this product for me is that it seems to last a long time, so maybe it's not so expensive in practical use. I admit I don't use the whole large scoop they include, maybe half to 3 quarter full.

HRH is pleased that the dermatologist thinks his one place on top of his ear will be the only place that may ever have to be cut away. (It was removed a year ago, and skin grafted from behind the ear to cover that little area has done well.) He did freeze a spot on HRH's face, but no big deal. We're so glad - one thing over with. I've never "attended" (lol) a full-body dermatologist check-up before. I thought everyone would want me to leave, but not so, and HRH insisted I stay. "You've seen me naked", he says. "Not when other people are looking," I said.

Return to “Healthy Habits”