Health and Fitness, October 2022

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2022

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:50 pm

Various stuff, including oddities, that might help someone (so why not try to tell or show it?) :

For some reason (absentmindedsidetrackableness?), it's my second pint of water of the day that gets later and later, causing me, then, to get to the end of the day either without enough water or drinking so late that I awaken through the night unnecessarily. Just recognizing this helps. But I try to notice either a time of day or beginning the preparation of lunch to get in the next pint, and that helps. (as Ramblin' notes, important for avoiding digestive frustration)

Here is what I'm talking about with circling habit charts : I use this one, which has space for 31 days, date plus 12 daily spaces per wedge for check marks in color (or just any pencil, for that matter), and this one has a bit of fun design. It's an instant glance to find out if I haven't had a beans serving or other planned serving yet today, especially if I do use colors. It requires getting it printed, of course, so I'm lucky that HRH has a copier, but if it went on the fritz, I could still get a dozen at a time at a copy shop.

Here is what I'm talking about with planner area to right used for food log. Mine is a very plain, cheap planner with spiral like any spiral notebook. If I continue with planner next year, there are so many formats to choose. I'm not sold on this - it's just so obvious a use : 3 spaces for general 3 meals, written briefly so that there's no wondering exactly what I ate. It's not just a checkmark for a grain, for instance, but written out "brown rice" or whatever. Also, the compactness of keeping food log with the rest of the planner notes in one little book is a plus.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:52 pm

Harriet I have seen those circle trackers on yt but never used them.
I have updated my IFL [Int. Fasting Log]
Good success today.
This is like day 3 bc I took some days off this weekend to do a mental reset and get past vaccine side effects. Doing better now.
Scales have not changed however lol!

Bs was pretty low before lunch had to eat like 15 min. early.
Having my 2nd coffee with lunch.
Veg. soup was in crockpot a great idea for lunch and can be a side for dinner as well!
The veg. soup cook book and on PBS a show were great intp. for me on this.
Plus pastor said her bro. had good success with Int. fasting.
I will say it is tricky with insulin so if I have to I can go to a keto type plan if needed.
I did have one heel of bread a reg. slice of bread homemade with cr. cheese, and one meat mini hand pie.
Kids were glad of my good dr. report.
My sis was pleased to hear I had talked the plan over with the dr. before doing it.
[Was considering it before doing a Bible study on Daniel, it was on my mind.]
I will allow myself one more coffee & then cran. juice later.

Today's soup is beets I cut up with rinsed pork n beans, and spinach-like greens.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:50 pm

Why diabetic education did not work for me.
The ed person did not understand carb. counting like I did it she just wanted to teach the kind of stuff she did for type 2 folks.
Telling me what kinds of potatoes had fewer carbs, I do not eat white potatoes duh! Not a relevant factoid.
Then she proceeds to hold up a 1/2 cup of grapes, to talk about if I eat that many grapes
my bs will be like 400! I do not eat grapes either.
She lost my interest then...
I pretty much just sat there and let her talk to get it over with bc she was not listening tome and I just nodded a bit
and the info. she was giving me was not helping me.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:02 pm

What I learned today;
I realized what is helping me right now is to focus on one part of the program at a time. Like breakfast for example morning stuff rx etc. Or pm Rx adjustments. I read a blog on it and that was helpful. Some days it is just not going to work if I have a low like this weekend and it is okay just to skip that day. Today I am unwell again and running high just decided I needed more rest and napped. Did not take enough rx with my lunch. oh well it happens. Still fighting off cold or effects of vaccines.

Next I need to consider cutting back my long acting insulin, [Basil] I am putting that there b/c I need to remember it. The not meal time one.
It's complicated.

I looked at journals for health stuff they did not have the one I was hoping to find. But it was good to look.
They had some for health treatment journey by Erin Condron on Amz.
Just found a bunch on int. fasting journals on Amz. :mrgreen:

Note: When lh had his treatments I kept a mini planner happy planner for apts. and such, it was a challenge to keep up bc with two drs.
they each had eating plans and I was not always in the loop. Or they would change it from one week to the next.
And the Rx. too.

Lunch was very tasty.
Cooking schedule will need to be adjusted and it is important to have foods pre-made and pre- cooked ahead for me I have found.
Success was having coffee with lunch as it is colder outside here now.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:09 am

Today's Tweaks on tracking
Stats BS & Rx
*better

Meals & Menu
soup for lunch
soup suggestions from a yt video
Lentil soup
Bean soup
Kale & barley soup
Quinoa soup

Dinner tba meat pie needs to be eaten

Activities & Exercise
*a m classical stretch
walked

W.W.W. [What Went Well]/ Challenges aka notes. I have to combine these two categories to make room on my planner for a slot for dinner info.
To be honest keto is better for diab. type 1 bc of the low bs.
No food in the a m makes any food seem great by lunch! LOL!
No matter what it is.

Grats [Joys] / Mood so-so
Feeling better after my vaccines less achey.

I might be getting the hang of this yea!
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:19 am

Nancy - BWTG on your tracking and planning.

I am still in learning mode with this way of eating. Learning mode is a kinder way of saying frequent failing. I do see the advantages of eating this way so I'm going to continue to try. My hope is it will become a habit and will not require much thought.

All I know for sure is what I was doing wasn't working so I need to make a change. Is this the change I need? I don't know the answer to that yet. It does have exciting potential and is inspiring to see it working for so many local friends and acquaintances.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:44 am

Harriet... I have a planner just like yours and use it to track my food.

As for water: Every night before I go to bed, I take 4 16 oz bottles of water and put it on my kitchen island. I drink the first bottle when I first get up and work on the other three during the day. So far I've already "killed" 2 bottles.

I am making sure I am eating protein with all of my meals. At least one egg in the morning with my skinny muffin and then two eggs with veggies in them on the next. For lunch I am eating 4 ozs of chicken and occasionally a can of tuna. Dinner is 4 ozs of either chicken, beef or fish. I don't really eat much beef. I try to only have it once a week. For lunch I include veggies, either by themselves or a salad and same with dinner. I do include a bit of cheese sometimes, but I am really trying to stay away from dairy. I use just a tad of 1/2 an 1/2 in my morning coffee.

Yesterday I got in my 5 miles. I wanted to do 2 miles this morning when I got up, but I didn't sleep every well so will try to get this in later today. My gazelle is good for that.

I have NOT gotten on my scale. Don't need to see the numbers to know I have much to work on. Using my clothes instead. Goal is to get back into the clothes I have hanging in my closet. Right now I only have one pair of jeans that fit comfortably and I I just bought them.

Setting a goal for sometime in Dec. and know from experience that is doable.

Yesterday my calorie count was just below 1200 and today I will shot for somewhere around 1400 calories. I find by increasing my protein my cravings are better. Will see what happens tonight.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:28 am

Yesterday I stayed on my eating plan, but needed to add an avocado to get to close to 14oo calories. I drank all my water as well.

My fitbit says I walked 5.2 miles while my pedometer recorded 7.2, so I figure it was somewhere around 6. My fit bit doesn't always record my steps while on my gazelle. However my gazelle says I walked 3.2 miles and I know I walked 2.2 miles with Sweetie last night. I used my odometer to track the mileage.

I took my measurements this morning and recorded them. I have my old measurements from before when I was at my goal weight, so I can use that to track my progress without getting on the scales.

Yesterday I bought 300 pieces of candy for our trick or trunk event on Saturday night. Its a community event and whats left over, if any, I will have for Halloween. I'm told by my neighbors we don't get many guests on that night. Have already decided I will throw away what is left over rather than let it tempt me. Right now I have the two bags stashed in one of my closets I never go into. That way I don't have to look at it and hear it call my name. :lol:

Didn't go to class this morning because I was too tired from not sleeping much last night. That means at sometime today I need to hop on my gazelle and get in at least two miles. I am watching the Game of Thrones while on it so I don't feel guilty.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:17 pm

I am learning how and what things to title the areas for my tracking. There are 6-7 of them So I can do boxes in a bujo or use a diff page format to change things up if I want. HP has a dash-board style page I have just gotten a refill pack of that do not work to well for house stuff & will work
for this I think.

1. Exercise / activities
2. Stats bs & Rx
3. Lunch
4. Snacks
5. Dinner
6. WWW /Challenges
7. Notes * [optional if there is no room.]
* fighting sniffles bs was up this morning ~ example of a note.
Could be used for mood. :mrgreen: :( in a margin some where. with time and date at top of page.

Might have lost #3. After 1st week.
Becoming more confident with the IF plan now.
Thinking of each #1 as a card with original she plan helps me to focus.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:12 am

Last nite my bs crashed hard again between 5 and bed time.
bc I had a more active day than normal & I did not eat in time.
I call dsonn and he also a type 1 helped me to figure that out.
It was so late I did not take a dose of p m insulin on purpose but understandable bs is up in to ack - land, took correction dose and logged them.
Will take less today for day time longer acting dose at eight.
This is a journey.
May need to change up eating too soon to tell.
Still not sure IF is the best plan for me after this week.

I have chopped cabbage for a couple of recipes.
Got broth & cabbage ready to turn on later.

-----
I can put the daily journals for prayer, bujo , h&f log and dreams in a tn [travelers note book] cover if I got
them all the same size for the next one in Nov. hopefully. I have the cover and notebooks now for that.
Should simplify them.

Return to “Healthy Habits”