Health and Fitness December, 2022

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness December, 2022

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:58 pm

Fri. CI
Today I have been cleaning the ent. center in the basement and out to the mail box and have over a mile of steps in already and it
is not ten o'clock yet!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:04 pm

It's a couple days left in the month/year, so I'll just post my disappointment in that dr's visit here and not let that affect much in next year's thread. I guess I had misunderstood, or the nurse who advised me to take advantage of the dr misunderstood what she does. She referred for bloodwork - B12, D and magnesium, the three she does for all patients. I've taken supplements of the first two for many years, and eat foods that have a lot of magnesium, but of course that may only make me more interested in what the labs show, so not complaining.

Otherwise, her nurse gives you a sheet of paper with a pyramid of foods on it - one size fits all. Another sheet of paper that generally discusses using safe products around the house, such as cleaners, that sort of thing, but just directs to large websites to learn what. Another paper suggests a youtube channel available with classes in things like yoga and tai chi, and there's a knitting/crochet youtube group and massage suggestion for $45 a session. All these things I could have found myself had I wanted to do so.

She did not really express an interest in exercise or nutrition regarding any specifics. Just eat well, look at the pyramid. No opportunity to ask what concrete things might be smart. Also didn't have any opinion on group or one-on-one talk or therapy opportunities, which I thought we might discuss.

Overall, I'd say her office isn't really about anything practical, and nothing that isn't extremely generalized. Just as quick-in-and-out as any other. Oh well, live and learn.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:15 pm

I have gotten in all my steps this week so far today is over half way at just past noon. :mrgreen:

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:08 am

Harriet, if that is a regular M.D., I'd be surprised if you got that kind of information there. I would think that kind of information would come from a nutritionist or (now I can't remember the kind of dr. I'm thinking of) not really a regular M.D. I am surprised when a Dr. here mentions something of a natural base, like mine did for a bone strengthening idea. Most Drs. just know their medicines and what they have been told they do.

My younger DD at our Christmas get together held up her hand and showed me her eczema. She always had beautiful skin before this. My older DD has quite a bad case of it and had to resort to a biologic because creams ceased working. It's something that runs in families. Tuesday, at my dermatologist, I lamented that another of my family seems to have gotten this...and I was sad that I feel as if I've passed it along, plus another hereditary thing that I have that also showed up in DGSon's life. This dr. was so kind and said she was sure I'd passed along some other nice things too and I should remember that. I thought that was SO NICE of her to say something like that and I was sure to thank her for it.

Return to “Healthy Habits”