Health and Fitness February, 2023

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness February, 2023

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pm

❤️ Happy Heart Month! ❤️ We love that sweet shape in decor and on correspondence, but we do watch out for hearts with plastic wrap around them! As we ALL know, that is a protective barrier to keep us safe from the kryptonite candy inside! ;)

Friday the 3rd of the month is "Wear Something Red" day, to remind us of caring for our hearts, and commend all those fighting heart disease.

Consistently, cardiovascular disease has remained the leading cause of death in the U.S. and in most developed nations, often by a stretch. Canada has a little less than U.S., putting it closer down in rankings with (all of our) 2nd cause, cancer.

One emphasis of the U. S. "Heart Health Month" this year is education in a different way - meaning being educated on knowing your OWN numbers and finding them out if no one has helped you know them. It suggests generally knowing your own usual blood pressure, knowing your cholesterol or other lipid-panel numbers. and knowing your blood glucose if your doctor tests it. Of course, these change, which is a good thing - when we educate ourselves, we can see how we'd like them to change and make a difference.

Was January an encouraging healthy habit month for you? How is 2023 going? What's the plan?

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness February, 2023

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:50 pm

I'm surprised to find that I'm still on track for 7500 steps/day this week. I'm continuing the two workouts a week for Feb. and continuing the walking with the dog habit.

Weight is not budging, however.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:08 pm

I got a badge in Jan. on my app. for 8 day streak.
and longest move streak of 53 days!
Today almost there went around the block this morning & picked up after the dog in the back yard and walking around -
then noonish around the loop - and another of pick up after the dog and walking around and picked up a few sticks - I am 3/4th done with my steps today. Got my steps in finally.

This week I have been on the gazelle and the exercise bike and indoor stairs for some added interest.
Today did a walk but only have 1/2 of my steps in.
Got my steps in by mid afternoon today / shopping day. Walked the ddog too. Fri.
Gpt my steps in every day this week yea!
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:44 pm

Wow, I had to idea how substantial my triscuit crackers and cheese were in terms of calories. I'm cautiously trying to record, although this day is likely a loss, lol. We're going out for dinner too.

My steps are off today because it just keeps raining. Dog and I did one lap this a.m., I just took her around the back yard. I'm not going for the longer walk in this cold rain.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:50 pm

Got a 5 lb. wt. I did a work out one arm then the other arm I just got one. :mrgreen:
Mon. walked my quota.
Did a bit of digging in the yard planted my tulip bulbs.
Tues. Walked still getting in the rest of my steps for today.
Wed. got my step goals plus some done.
Thurs. walked more steps to do for today's goal however.
Fri. got my steps in.
Sat. nearly there. Picked up after the dog today and walked,

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:57 pm

How I'm doing on those items I wanted to increase:

apple (peels) - more, check
mushrooms - already, but more, check
flaxseed - already, check
broccoli sprouts - producing my own, 1/2 cup daily - check
green tea - now having a cup most mornings, check
collards - more, check
soy milk - mental block?, still only eating tofu for soy

Other stuff
Calories down 25 percent - often
still exercising - nope, not in the cards now

So, calories change is coming up against inactivity change and they are cancelling out. It's unimportant because some smart thinking is, I've been told, in agreement with HRH that right now isn't the time for the scale to have a say. Getting up to 3,000 steps a day but seldom 4,000.

Sleep is weird. Supposed to lie down whenever tired, I then zonk out and find I've ruined any schedule.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:15 pm

Ok… know it’s the end of the month, but it is Monday.

When I went home to help clear out my moms home I came across a book; FAT is a four letter word by Sara Deutsch. I quickly paged through it when I realized it was a diet book. That really puzzled me as my mother was very slender all her life, ate healthy and never had a weight issue.

I brought it home because I was curious as to why my mom might have had this book hidden in her dresser drawer. Still don’t know the answer but discovered the book contained several diet plans plus there was a large oversized paged folded up and stuck inside the book. It too had an eating plan.

Anyway upon reading the book I discovered the author had lost over 91 lbs and started a group called Weight Losers and also developed an eating plan.

I was interested in the eating program since the book was written in 1971 to see how diet information had evolved. This program is a no fat eating plan with fruit to be eaten most days. Plus powered skim milk was required to be used. I found that interesting since I knew skim milk had been around for a long while simple because that was all I was allowed to drink as a child and it came in a bottle.

Anyway always willing to try something new, I started this new to me eating plan today. I’ve been going to my exercise classes most day and have Ben reaching my daily 9k steps + so we’ll see what happens.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:59 pm

Mon. Got my steps in just after lunch today shopping and doing laundry added to my count.
Got 10,000 steps yesterday had two lows and one ack land reading.
Made to today with ok bs. Life goes on,

Tues.nearly have my steps in for today. I walked did a few more steps at a meeting in the parking lot by parking further away my new tactic is working yea! Walked the pooch too. Was outside and see there are seeds coming up in the plant cage!
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:32 am

Got my steps in yesterday, same with water and stayed on my eating plan.

Need to buy a battery for my scale so I can chart my progress.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Healthy Habits”