Health and Fitness March, 2023

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness March, 2023

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:14 am

March is here. How are those goals you were thinking of in January coming along? Remember, Just like 1/1 and Groundhog Day 2/2, March 3rd can be a fine time for resolutions! :idea: Any time can be our goal-setting time.

It's the first day of meteorological spring in our hemisphere (and about the time Lynlee would report to us that her first day of autumn had just passed). So mild and accessible weather may be part of our story this month, at least toward the end of the month. How will you great March?

Ramblinrose

Re: Health and Fitness March, 2023

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:41 am

I’m marching forward staying on my take care of me plan.

Set up a graph to chart my goals.
Walking
Exercise
Eating right.

The good, the bad and what ever else life brings my way. I’d like to chase away 15 lbs befor my birthday which is the last day of April, so I plan to March towards that goal :D

I got my steps in yesterday, drank my water, exercised and stayed on my eating plan. Set up my charts and started using it already.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:11 pm

Got my Rx today and am great on my steps this week so far yea!
10,000 Mon.
Got my goal on Tues. 8287 steps by two in the afternoon.
I napped just sayin'.
Have washed jeans the were a bit big I am hoping they are good after the dryer.
So I am between sizes ack!
I gardened picked up after the ddog and pulled 4 weeds. 45* is not all that warm with a breeze.
Too cold for a walk ddog want to go out with me for pick of back yard but dog just watched me and did not actually get any exercise.
I did get my steps in by doing two stat bike sessions today Thurs.

I like stretch lady w. pants will see if they have any in hoping I can find em in my new fav. color lite blue.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:40 pm

Ramblin' I have a memory of reading about the Weight Losers program and Sara and the concept of no fat. To tell you the truth I was surprised to find it so difficult to find the book now. That just shows, I guess, how rapid-fire it's been that weight-loss books have come onto the market since the '70s.

You really have a treasure there as far as being rare, and probably representing some heritage of weight-loss models. I was reminded of the old adage, "The fat you eat is the fat you wear", which I believe I've heard said by Dr. John McDougall more than anyone else although his recommendations are not no fat. I'd say his are low fat, though. There was a debate at one point, I remember, between he and some other equally experienced (and well-armed with studies) experts about whether nuts should be in a weight-loss diet. He was okay with nuts even though they would add fat to the diet and could be absentmindedly eaten. Others have debated beans, which can contain a pretty good amount of fat but are definitely a food that can encourage weight loss. What I ate this a.m. - tofu - would be a subject for discussion, for sure. I hope you have a lot of success and enjoy your fruits a lot.

Nancy, there are beautiful days outside here for walking or projects. Ds is building a shed, enjoying a really good time to do outdoor things. I can't do much about it unless I start feeling less puny pretty soon. I'll definitely go out and seek the sun after my area's chance at making Vitamin D outside, which is the 9th.

http://www.suncalc.org. is the fastest way to find out about each area that I've found. I imagine Ramblin' and Harmony and Dee are already in the Vitamin D producing season for their areas.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:17 am

Harriet… I take 10k units of vitamin D3 daily. Have for years. It suppose to help my cluster headaches. Don’t know if it helps or not, because I stilll get them from time to time but not as bad as a while back. Do t want to find out if they really work by not taking them. I also take vitamin K as well

Yesterday I went to my exercise class, drank all my water, got my steps and chartered my progress :D:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:31 pm

I actually "laid out" in the sun like a teenager and was so happy to do that again to build up my D level naturally for the first time since autumn. My blood work for the dr had showed that I was okay in mid-30s but not optimal at all and I want to build up to 50 or above. Not unusual for a late-winter level to be lower, of course, but I want what's best. I had moved from a 2,000 IU capsule daily to a 5,000 I U one after the doctor shared that result.

I'll be honest - it was cool out there! But that's a small price. I don't yet have a chaise lounge but HRH insists he's going to get me one. The concrete of the porch - not so comfy - and he's way against the idea of me lying on a towel directly on the grass because of the insect bites he got last year. He says we've got enough chores getting skin back to normal right now and don't need any more hassles. True that. ;)

Of course, gardening's the thing. Flowers make the world go 'round. I will build up to that and April/May will find me a sturdy outdoor girl again!

Ramblin', isn't it like a catch-22 that we don't have personal ways of knowing if certain changes we make are absolutely helping, or if they would stop helping if we stopped them!?! But we can at least go by studies and research and make a good guess, doing our best. I'm glad you find things to help you with those frustrating headaches.

My darling family keep gifting me with food gifts. And these will be really tasty things, you know? Very difficult to discipline when you are not on your game, either. HRH often raids my gifts and tells me he is saving me from myself and he is exactly right. Most recently, very salty things. Sigh. So important to shake that off, to write down what you plan to eat in advance and stick to it. I love them all (family), but I have to be myself. Today I started my day with 3 greens and 5 small fruit portions in a smoothie and so far am running away from the sweet and salty.

Nancy, you are doing so well on walking and biking. Your ddog is very good at deciding what she likes and sticking with it, lol.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:14 pm

Thanks Harriet.
Got my walks in this week. Today did it in two diff. segments.
Other pr. of new pants fit yea!
Walks done this week so far today nearly there but the day is only half done so I am ahead of my goal for the day yea!
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:33 pm

I am gaining strength again, maybe. The new nemesis is some temporary itching. Finally just decided on bene dril in the evening only. I hate taking meds, but sometimes you need a little help. I'll be so glad when that rotates on to (probably) something else, lol.

Water drinking has been good, partly because I sure don't want my skin to do without any plumping from the inside that might help. Celery, cucumber, other water-filled bites I can think of. Just about time for melons, isn't it? That's a seriously good idea, come to think of it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:33 am

Harriet I thought of you yesterday one gal was talking about how someone she knew got to ring the bell and explained that is was at the end of treatment and I got a better understanding! :mrgreen:

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:33 am

I’ve decided to do my Mom’s diet

Which is eat like I did when I was a kid growing up.

Breakfast..eggs, toast and fruit or cereal and fruit
Lunch…. Cottage cheese and fruit or salad with chicken
Dinner…beef, chicken or fish, large amount of cooked veggies or a sweet potato once a week and a piece of wasa cracker.

Sometimes if I eat my breakfast late I’m not hungry for lunch and then eat my dinner earlier. If I find I’m craving something for a snack, I eat a few walnuts with some blueberries with them.

Drinking my coffee with skim milk, gave up artificial sugar including sugar free sodas and gum, and allow myself up to three teaspoons of real sugar per day. I also am drinking decaf ice tea with no sugar but lemon juice.

Haven’t weighed but measured…my bras aren’t as tight, nor my undies and my capris exercise pant fit better and I’m not experience an afternoon slump

I’m not tempted to cheat at all. This is the way I ate as a kid. My mom use to make me lettuce wraps long before they came around. Asked her about when she came up with that idea and she said it just made sense to her. By doing this, I can make my chicken or tuna salad or even sliced cold cuts and eat them in a wrap.

However most the time I’m not hungry for lunch if I eat a big breakfast.

Return to “Healthy Habits”