Health and Fitness August, 2023

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness August, 2023

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:49 am

~~~ We're hoping you'll check in with us! ~~~

Take a look at last month's thread with so many bright thoughts on the "Why?" and "How?" of foods' impact on our well being! Also on monitoring and record-keeping, to research and work out puzzles.

In many of our areas, we've had recent warnings about heat. Smokey conditions have been in headlines, too. (blink, blink, cough, cough)

:?: How do you respond or change your routine to guard your health while still keeping up with fitness, plus your outdoor or very active chores?

LadyMaverick

Re: Health and Fitness August, 2023

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:08 am

Harriet - THANK YOU for this monthly thread.

Nancy - BWTG on being faithful to get your steps in You are an inspiration to me.

Day #8 food logging was MUCH easier. For me, mindset plays a big part in how easy/hard it is.
Sunday I felt like I deserved to relax and eat like everyone else. However, the results were not worth eating wrong for my body!
Yesterday I followed my eating plan and I went to bed with a feeling of accomplishment. Those "feel good" hormones were giving me the feedback that I was seeking. It feels great to feel good! I want more of this.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:03 pm

Still eating more than MFP thinks I should these days, but I'm having success in getting it all entered at least. And my weight is not budging.

For lunch, I put my grilled chicken, tomatoes and basil on big romaine lettuce leaves. Not quite the same, but I could probably get used to it?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:24 pm

Twins… I use lettuce leaves as bread!

I stayed on my eating plan, although around 9:30 PM I was extremely hungry. Think it’s because of the meds I took all day yesterday. Remembered that protein is good to eat so I ate a small piece of cheddar cheese and that helped.

Might have been extra hungry yesterday because I got in 15k steps in and did some weight lifting. Drank 84ozs of water too. Got a lot of steps in going in and out of the bathroom!

Looked at the menu for the restaurant where the birthday celebrating is occurring tomorrow. Going to order Caesar salad with chicken minus the croutons. I’ll bring some f my pork rinds for that. Will also ask for the salad dressing to be on the side. And no birthday cake for me!!!

Dinner tonight will be salmon and asparagus along with my almond cheese muffin. I also found a recipe for waffles… there’s a name for them but I forget… made with eggs and cheese. They look really yummy and I’m going to try them tomorrow.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:40 am

I made it through Day #9 purposely and fairly easily.......... until about 9pm. I was tired and wanted to be comforted by food. I used my one bite rule to get through that time. I had one bite of tuna salad, one bite of black olive, one bite of alfredo sauce and one bite of Spanish rice. These were food items that are ready-to-eat in the refrigerator. I do not think eating these things were the best ideas, but the one bite rule worked to keep me from sitting down with a bowl/box/bag of something and eating the whole thing.

Observations - there were times during the day that others were eating food around me, but I wasn't tempted.
** At the movies the popcorn and candy were all around me. It did smell good, but I didn't partake. It was a choice I made, and I was okay with it.
** The family wanted Sonic for supper, so I brought them cheeseburgers, chicken slingers, fried mozzarella cheese sticks, French fries and chocolate shakes. I chose to get nothing from Sonic and ate my planned food. I did not feel deprived at all.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:57 am

LM thanks for saying that.
Got one mi walk in today, Lots of stops to lean on my walking stick as needed but those steps count even if it took longer. :mrgreen:
Ddoggo was happy she had to stop to pull out a thorn in her foot also.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:38 pm

Back from my luncheon. I had a Ceasar salad with chicken, brought pork rinds for croutons and salad dressing on the side. My friend who’s a baker brought a two layer vanilla cake with whipped cream and fruit in between and on top of the layers. I was passed piece of cake…I ate a teeny tiny bite of cake… 1/4 of a fork full and a dab of whipped cream and no fruit and then politely covered the rest of my cake with my napkin as soon as I did that.

This mornings exercise class was a chair program. I am not a fan of that because I don’t get any steps in. Came home after class and promptly got on my Gazelle and put in 11k steps before I had to get dressed to go out.

Yesterday I stayed on my eating plan, got in 11k steps and drank all my water. I’d. Like to get on the scale but don’t want to let it spoil my progress if I don’t see any results. I know something is going on because I had to move the hook on my bra over two rows. :D

Glad to see that everyone else is doing well.

LadyM …when I get to where I am wanting something to eat after my dinner, I am finding eating some protein like left over chicken or a very small piece of cheese does the trick for me.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:04 pm

How do you all deal with pot lucks with so many things to tempt you to go off program.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:57 pm

Good question Nancy…

I usually eat at home before I go to a pot luck… then I’m not so hungry that the food calls to me. And sometimes I just bring food I can eat with me. I did that with my pork rinds today for my salad. And now I bring my almond flour muffin with me when I go to my coffee gatherings because I know there will be doughnuts which I adore.

I find that is I having me “safe food” me lets me enjoy being with people without the guilt of eating what I shouldn’t. And although I do love my wine, beer or cocktails I don’t indulge while I’m trying to stay true to my plan… I could actually drink a glass or two of red wine…because I find find resisting other foods much harder.

When I was teaching my friends would call me the “jello queen” because everyone would bring goodies and treats in our work area where we had our lunch and I ate my sugar free jello. And I stayed out of the work area because all this chips, m&ms and other goodies would call to me. The department used to laugh about new teachers gaining 10lbs in their first year because once a month we would have a luncheon and the dishes that my friends would bring in were out of this world.

I didn’t gain the ten pounds, but LadyM’s one bite would never work for me there. I’d be biting 10’differnt things and end up with a full meal on my plate :lol:
Last edited by Ramblinrose on Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:05 pm

Potlucks or even eating at other people's houses is hard. Back when I did WW, I had a "Misc." custom food and then just put in an estimate for no of points. I don't know what to do now.

I get toward the afternoon or end of the day and just rebel against recording everything, especially if I'm feeling hungry and eating everything in sight. I'm having a big salad with an apple, leftover pork chop, and walnuts tonight.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Healthy Habits”