Health and Fitness September, 2023

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness September, 2023

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Harmony, carbonated drinks call to us, too. We do have to be careful. I think I'm a bit addicted to something in them, but don't know if it's the sugar or caffeine. I can avoid, but am still drawn to them.

Dd24 drinks carbonated flavored waters. They are not cheap. She likes a brand called "Bubly", but "Waterloo" brand is her favorite, and she buys the blackberry lemonade flavor most often. She says she only had to get used to them and then she started liking them just the way she did colas, etc., and can now avoid the sugared drinks. That makes them worth the price to her. Yes, easy matters, doesn't it? She credits the ease of having these cans available to reach in the fridge and grab, takes one for her lunch at work, where they have a fridge, so she has a kind of treat to drink with lunch.

I think that I do as well with a (less caffeine) hot cup of green tea in the morning as I do with coffee. But I wonder how you would know for sure. I have "Kava" regular instant coffee when I do have it, but if it's not early in the morning I have Max well House decaf, so in theory that doesn't have much caffeine anyway. ("Kava" is not so acid, better for acid reflux) Green tea has a good reputation for a lot of healthy reasons. Teabag just has to steep for a couple minutes.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:39 pm

Harriet, I see the Bubly here in our store, but not sure about the other one. Do they have any kind of sweetener in them? I notice DH's water pitcher is going down and he is not drinking as much soda or tonic water. Still some, but not a lot. I am cold turkey no soda any more and so far am successful.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:57 pm

Dd25 says neither has any sweeteners at all, so she just had to decide she was not going to like them at first but could learn to like them, lol. In her opinion, Blackberry is the easiest Bubly flavor to learn to like, and Blackberry Lemonade the easiest Waterloo flavor. (wonder why - the companies just seem to get blackberry right, I guess. I've never known that to be a favorite flavor for her in other things.)

Cold turkey is probably the smart way to go on sweet drinks - good job.

HRH had complained to a friend about acid or harshness in coffee. Was gifted "Araku", a 100 percent arabica instant coffee from India, a company called Boomi. He says it really is more mellow, the way he remembers good coffee of the past that didn't hurt his stomach. But it's expensive - SOOOO.. ... he drinks less, lol. A-river carries it. On the box they brag that it is grown with natural manures. :)

I've been walking outdoors a lot more. Autumn is better for this than summer.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:13 pm

I am trying to make a decision if I want to commit to doing a 90 day Beast Mode challenge that starts on Friday.

Pro's -
** It is a "You vs You" type of challenge so I do like that aspect.
** I want to keep challenging myself. Don't quit trying.
** I want to keep learning. Every time I try something new, I do learn from it.
** This 90 day challenge does have structure. Two weeks detox (vegetables/meat/shakes), 8 weeks nutritional plan, 2 weeks transition plan. It has daily requirements to follow. I won't be winging it with my own
** All I have to do it FTDP (Follow the D*mn Plan)
** I could be successful in losing weight.
** The plan is based on Real Food.

Con's -
** I will have to tell myself No and follow through.
** I will have to be disciplined to follow the plan.
** There is a financial cost. I can afford it, but I don't want to waste money & effort if I'm not going to do it.
** I struggle to stay focused doing ANY plan for 90 days. My sidetracking tendency is strong. What if I stop doing it. Will I be a failure?

7 Pro's
4 Con's
Hummmm. Decision. Decision.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:27 pm

I have walked wore a bright orange hoodie today took umbrelly did not need it
but it had been raining earlier.
-----
Raining had to use umbrella
lost the handle yesterday today retraced my steps did not find the handle.
Took my other umbrella b/w spotted one with a better handle to finish up our walk.
Sprinkling a bit outside.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:51 pm

Decision finally made. I am going to monitor and observe the Beast Mode way of eating, but I am not going to commit to following it. I want to look before I leap.

I am committing to tracking my food during October. I am part of a Real Food FB group mentorship which has daily requirements and accountability.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Healthy Habits”