Health and Fitness, October 2023

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, October 2023

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:57 pm

Goals anyone? 8-)

We've got 3 months until the end of the year, and there's so much we can do with it! Remember, a health goal is more likely to be achieved if it is shared with friends who support and encourage. So let us know if you have Calendar Event Goals for which you are planning, or a new habit you're forming.

Also, tips and ideas on self-preservation welcome :idea: as we move into the "treat" phase of the year. :roll:

We hope you'll post with us!

LadyMaverick

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2023

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:35 pm

I am off to a good start on my October challenge. I have high hopes and low expectations. I do know I will mess up with my food choices and logging and that is to be expected.

The overall theme of my eating plan for this month is to consume calories 6 times a day with 2-3 hours between. I am tracking macros, vitamins and minerals to make sure they stay in healthy range because I am choosing to keep calories between 800-1000.

My 6 mini meals look like this today.....

Coffee & Collagen

Strawberry, FF Fairlife milk, coffee smoothie

50g Hamburger meat, 50g Sweet Potatoes

Wasa Cracker, Cheese laughing cow wedge, Turkey slices (3) &Jalapeno

Summer squash, Tilapia fish

Deviled Eggs - 4 halves
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:49 pm

I walked today & Monday.
Tues. it is raining and have gotten my a.m. steps in doing trips to the basement for laundry and other things downstairs.
Walked the dog and finished getting my steps in for today which is Tues.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:22 pm

I can’t get back to really walking and exercise until I get my headaches under control I either have one or recovering from one.

I’ve been lack’s on my food choices due to my trip. However I was able to wear jeans that I haven’t been able to get into for over a year and I had to move my belt over two holes.

I’ll have a better idea about my walking after my dr appointment tomorrow. I’ve been pretty tired most days. But know why
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:32 pm

((Ramblin')) hoping for better news on the headache and the tiredness fronts! Maybe the jeans fitting better will at least give you a smile. Isn't it interesting about the oxygen.

LadyM, now that you are eating throughout the day small meals, I just got interested in IF again, lol, although this time something like 16-8.

:?: I was wondering about coffee and teas. I know that most plans do suggest these during the morning hours if one is going to have breakfast around 11 or noon, that sort of thing. But I thought the assumption on most plans was that they truly should be without additional caloric ingredients if it's before time to "break the fast" with a meal. Recently I've been seeing suggestions of a hot beverage with cream, etc. at 9, 10 o'clock, as if it didn't matter. So that's a puzzler to me. I would LOVE to have, say, just a non-sugared almond creamer with coffee halfway through the morning, or even dairy cream (although that is rare for me, really), but can't help but wonder if that is problematic. Would it mess up the effects of Sirtuins... ..

My reason is to generally feel better, sharper. Today I ate in a 7-hour window, although I had sort of intended 8. Started with my big smoothie, in which fats would be half-avocado and heaping teaspoon hempseed. I made a point to have potato (sweet potato today) with last meal to help, I hope, with sleeping. I cut off liquids at 8 o'clock too. My sleep can be disturbed so many ways, but the clock can help with awakening for the bathroom, at least.

The idea was to exercise before eating, too, but today was chore-heavy and "exercise" was going on all day instead.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:58 pm

Today I was able to eat in an 8-hour window. Tofu with lots of veggies plus mushrooms, green tea, then cake slice :) , then beans with coleslaw and a biscuit.

Last night's sleep was pretty good, and I'm thinking the potato as last thing and no water after 8 helped. Similar tonight, although it's the beans I hope may help with sleep - tryptophan, magnesium.

The slice of orange cake was small but really had to happen - how else could I test my recipe? (smile)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:13 pm

CI ~ After my dr. visit sigh my scales were right dang! LOL!
I am in good health yearly check up, I do not need to go back for a year excpt A1C blood draw in 6 mo.
I do not need the CSV vaccine I am not a smoker and not high risk for that and it is a newer vaccine.
I am also okay with not getting c-19 booster dr. agree not tested on the new one that is out.
I am good on shots unless I choose to get a flu shot and waiting till late Oct. is what he recommended doubt I will get it. I could change my mind
how ever but there was quite a line when I was at the Rx place last time.

Also the nurse practitioner said he will try the adult gummy vits.
I took a photo of my vits. I was taking c's also gummies.
women's 50+ vits. gummies
Zinc for when I have a cold.
Vit. 3 x a week in the winter when it's cloudy.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:47 pm

Dental hygienist gave me copy of her Toothpaste Abrasion Chart and PH mouthwash Rinse PH Values she got at her continuing education class. Her point was we must be careful of abrasion levels of what we use otherwise we can wear away the enamel on our teeth. So her abrasion numbers go from 04 to 260. She suggests using something that's 70 or lower in Abrasion. Here's her numbers:

VERY LOW ABRASIVE: 04 toothbrush with plain water, 07 straight baking soda, 08 arm & hammer Tooth Powder, 15 Weleda Salt toothpaste, 18 CTx4 Gel, 30 Elmex Sensitive Plus, 30 Weleda Plant Tooth Gel, 35 Arm & Hammer Dental Care, 37 Sensodyne ProNamel.

LOW ABRASIVE (Any of these are good to use) #40 Weleda Children's Tooth Gel, #42 Arm & Hammer Metadent Advanced Whitening, or Arm & Hammer Peroxicare, #45 Weleda Calendula Toothpaste, #45 Oxyfresh, #48 Arm & Hammer Dental Care Sensitive, #49 Arm & Hammer Peroxicare Tartar Control, or Tom's of Maine Sensitive. #52 Arm & Hammer Peroxicare Regular, #53 Rembrant Original, #54: A & H Sensitive Whitening, A & H sensitive Freshening, A & H Sensitive Multi-Protection, or A & H Complete Care Stain Defense. #57 Tom's of Maine Children's, Wintermint; #62 Super Smile, #63 Rembrant Mint; #65 A&H Complete Care Plus Enamel Strengthening; #68 Colgate Regular, #70 Colgate Total*** please check my note later; also #70 A & H Advance White Sensitive, and Colgate 2-in-1 Fresh Mint.

MEDIUM ABRASIVE: #78 Biotene Gentle Dry Mouth, #79 Sensodyne, #80 AIM, #83 Colgate Sensitive maximum Strength, #91 Aquafresh Sensitive, #93 Tom's of Maine Regular; #94 Rembrant Plus, #95 Crest Regular, or Oxyfresh with Fluoride, #97 Oxyfresh Powder.

The High Abrasive and Harmfully Abrasive I will put in the next post because this is getting long.

***Note about Colgate Total: People had been complaining about this particular one leaving their teeth brown after a while. Her instructor said that is no longer the case, however when she cleans teeth she always asks when she observes this and they are always using this Colgate Total so in her opinion it leaves brown staining. Ok, on to the next one.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:18 pm

Finishing this dental chart with the high abrasive and harmfully abrasive numbers. Please note on the chart above I began abbreviating Arm & Hammer to A&H to save space. Also, one must be awfully careful when checking brands in a store, so many of them are very much the same except for one name at the end, so be careful when picking. Her office gives out samples of Colgate Regular and I'd asked about that because I couldn't find it, and she said look on the very bottom shelf and there it is...a big tube of that is only about $1.00 which is why they put it so low! Also, I noticed I'd switched to Arm & Hammer Peroxicare which comes in at 42 on the chart, and we'd been using one that was High Abrasive at 100 (we stopped that!) and this 42 one felt more abrasive than the 100 one! So I guess we can't go by feel alone, there is evidently a chemical element to this whole thing and I'm going by what my hygienist recommends in the future.

HIGH ABRASIVE: #100 Colgate Optic White, #101 Natural White, #103 Mentadent or A & H Sensation, #104 Sensodyne Extra Whitening, #106 Colgate Platinum or A & H Advance White Paste, #107 Crest Sensitivity Protection, #110 Closeup Paste/Gel or Colgate Herbal, #113 Aquafresh Whitening, #117 A&H Advance White Gel or Arm & H Sensation Tartar Control, #120 Close-Up with Baking Soda or Colgate Baking Soda Paste, #124 Colgate Whitening, #125 Colgate Sensitive Pro Relief Enamel Repair; #130 Crest Pro Health or Crest Extra Whitening, #133 Ultra brite, #144 Crest MultiCare Whitening, #145 Ultra Brite Advanced Whitening Formula or Colgate Baking Soda & Peroxide Whitening.

HARMFULLY ABRASIVE: #150 Pepsodent (given as upper bound) #165 Colgate Tartar Control #168 A & H Dental Care PM Fresh Mint, #176 Nature's Gate Paste, #200 Colgate 2-in-1 Tartar Control/Whitening or Icy Blast/Whitening, #200 Crest White Vivid ....and the last one Yikes! #260 Ultrabrite Advanced Whitening.

Last but not least: here's the Mouthwash Rinse PH values. Acid in one's mouth erodes enamel...she did not give me what PH values are good...but I suppose a google would tell us which PH lessens acid in one's mouth, if anybody does this please share.
MOUTHWASH RINSE PH VALUES
9.90 Therabreath Oral Rinse, 8.10 Carifree Maintenance Rinse, 6.60 ACT Restoring Mouth wash 5.7-6.5 PreviDent RX Mint Rinse 5.48 Peridex, 5.47 Scope, 4.74 BreathRx Antibacterial Rinse 4.72 Oral-B Anti-Cavity Rinse 4.64 Biotine Mouthwash 4.62 Oral-B Antibacterial Mouth Spray 4.53 BreathRx Antibacterial Mouth Spray 4.39 Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash 4.22 Crest Pro-Health 3.8-4.5 Phosflur

She also gave me an AT HOME PH RINSE (got for lowering acid in mouth) Indicated for: High decay risk patients, diabetic patients, periodontal patients, patients with recession, gingivitis patients, dry mouth patients, patients who use tobacco or electronic cigarettes. Here is her recipe:

MIX 1 teaspoon of household baking soda with 16 oz water. Directions: Swish around in your mouth 30-60 seconds and spit out. Use as often as needed throughout the day/night.

Ok, now you guys know as much as I do and you didn't have to pay $129 for a cleaning to get it!! :lol:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:38 pm

Harmony, this is wonderful information. Thank you so much. I'm relieved because mine is not so bad, but see how maybe I could make a better choice. I have some around here that I wonder if I should just toss out. She was really very helpful to give you so much info. Goodness, ultra brite is an old name that has been around a long time - I used to use that when I was a teen I think!

Return to “Healthy Habits”