Health and Fitness February, 2024

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness February, 2024

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:34 am

Which get up exercise are you doing, Nancy? Is there a youtube for it? I have seen a few. Great job doing 6 times.

I saw an explanation of how to get up from sitting on a low or spongy couch or chair that doesn't have arms. That's harder than getting up from sturdy seats and most people tend to use their hands to press straight down on their knees. Rather than pressing just down on knees, put knees and feet shoulder-width apart and press down and also outward on the knees. I was surprised to try that and feel that it was actually a smoother, less awkward motion and did seem like it didn't take as much effort. Instead of putting so much pressure on the lower back, it lets your leg strength work to bring you up. It also helps to scoot to the edge of your seat before even starting to stand up, because your feet will be more underneath you already.

We've added wide adhesive bandages to our first aid things. Now if anyone scrapes their knee at my house, we're covered, lol. For mine the other day I had had to piece together some of the larger band-aids I had, and it was sort of comical to see.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness February, 2024

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:50 am

Harriet; My dr. suggested getting up with no hands from a sitting position last year so I started there.

This spring I saw on you tube have lost track of it however. A trainer showed. Get on one knee then the other.
I lay down then get up on my elbows to stretch out core and lower back.

Try this one stand with no hands / Jeffery S. O'Guin
Getting up from the floor safely ask doctor Jo
Senior stretch is good too.

Got 10,000+ steps in today yea!

Return to “Healthy Habits”