Health and Fitness April, 2024

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness April, 2024

Postby Harriet » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:08 pm

Happy April!

Here at the quarter-mark of the year, what are the priorities you see for your upcoming month?

We've been chatting about successful eating strategies and smart ways of exercising. Are those your goals and plans this month, or do you have a different emphasis?

Welcome, we are so interested in your Healthy Habit ideas!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness April, 2024

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:39 am

My healthy habits to continue that are working
daily walks
eod [every other day] wall push ups to daily hopefully.

not drinking not smoking not doing drugs has worked my whole life will continue that ...
[except for Rx doc. wrote for me to take of course]. .

At this point in my life I am seeing the benefits of my life long healthy habits! YEA!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:14 pm

I’m still staying on my eating plan and drinking all my water. Have made 10k steps each day with the exception of those three days when I had my migraines

Last night I had to walk around my kitchen island while watching TV because I was 300 steps short of my goal. Did that several times for the last two weeks but reached my goal without getting on my gazelle. I switched my watch to my right hand which I swing more when I walk. I tend to carry stuff in my left hand so it couldn’t swing … since I swapped my watch over to my right hand my natural steps have really increased
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:47 am

Made my first goal..5 lb drop… and rewarded myself with an inexpensive ring from Amazon. I wear it to remind me that I can do this and to keep looking forwards. I still have a long way to go to reach my final goal, but it’s a start

Had to do a kitchen walk around to finish getting my steps in yesterday, but made it.

Stayed on my eating plan and got my water in. Staying focused

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:32 pm

Stayed on my eating plan, drank my water and got over 12k steps in

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:54 am

Another successful day! Staying focused on day at a time :D:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:06 pm

Took right Rx today yea me! LOL!
This is a new day glad for a fresh start.
made 500 days in a row of ex. goals and got my badge for that this week.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:32 am

Way to go Nancy!!!

Yesterday I stayed on my eating program and drank over 80+ ozs of water. Didn’t make 10k steps but that was because I decided to take the day off

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 pm

Cheer, cheer, cheering for ya'll - you are doing so well. Remarkable stick-to-it-tive-ness!

Nancy, 500? That sounds like you are at a special race, doesn't it? "The Nancy 500" :)

Ramblin', your step count is great. I had an uncle who had a heart condition and was advised to just walk through his house when he couldn't get outside. Many, many steps for him indoors over the years, lol. He lived to 91, still singing in church choir, btw, until a short time before. He did not have a good voice, but was loved by the choir.

LadyM had asked our thoughts on lots of sitting being a similar danger to smoking, as far as not being good for you. I personally, just because of experience of my large family, would say that I haven't observed sitting doing the accelerated decline of quality of life that smoking can, and also haven't seen the sudden deaths with sitting that I have seen in my family with smoking. The eleven at my parent's generation could almost (one exception of earliest death) be divided into two camps - the uncles who died in their sixties from smoking (three, on two sides of my family) and the uncles and aunts who did not smoke who lived to ripe old age. Of the latter, some sat a lot, some were very active. There were examples of centenarians in both camps - sedentary and active.

Objectively, though, I know that prolonged daily sitting is associated with a shorter lifespan, even in those who exercise regularly. Standing and treadmill desks are suggested as two potential solutions for office workers. I haven't heard for sure that anyone has studied all the studies (smile) to tease out a comparison between sitting too much and smoking as contributing to poor health or early death. But they probably have, and I've missed it. Sounds like LadyM has heard some info.

I have had little half-pound weight loss successes but nothing remarkable. Happy about them, though. I think when you are deep into an interesting project you tend not to notice those times when you are not exactly hungry but might say, "I could eat". Eventually, you look up and say, "have I eaten?
I'm hungry." :? Eating when hungry can be one nice benefit of allowing some sidetracking into rewards/fun projects.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:40 am

Harriet … my mother was a runner and picked that up at age 49. Ran till she was abt 78 and the took up walking. By the time she was abt 85 she no longer walked and spent time sitting much of the day, and by 87 that stopped as well due to back issues. She didn’t do much movement after that and sat much of the rest of her life. She lived to be 94 2 months shy of 95

My trainer says movement such as walking is good for you, but weight training is better. He says it helps to keep your bones and muscles healthier as we age. It doesn’t have to include massive weights. I have dropped down on the size of my weights but I continue to do programs that include them.

My favorite you tube guy is Curtis Adams.’ He does standing and chair routines. Some are 18 minutes long and others are longer. I enjoy him because he is very motivating and fun to do. He usually uses 1-3 lb weights but I can go heavier if I want and usually do.

Yesterday I got my steps in, drank my water and stayed on my eating plan.

Return to “Healthy Habits”