Health and Fitness, August 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2009

Postby Harmony » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:58 am

LOL, We birthday Gals need to stick together and see what this year can bring!

Thanks, Harriet, you have more faith in me than I have in me!

I did do my initial weigh in and measure today. I already have spreadsheets printed up for all this and I punched holes in some and added to my HH notebook. I made an indexed section at the end of all the other stuff. I'm starting out 6 pounds lower than I was 2 years ago, not a lot but it's something!

I'm thinking of perhaps 3 pounds a month? Too little? That would be 36 lbs. in a year, and that puts me right at or below target. I'd be 122 lbs. then. I'd be happy with 125; 115 would be fantastic, but would I ever get down that far? 3 lbs. a month might give me a little wiggle room to get through the holidays...

As far as measures go, I'd like to get down to whatever would comfortably get me back into size 10's (I'm in size 12's now) and perhaps back to mediums instead of larges. At 122 that should be doable, I'm 5'4 1/2".

As far as exercise, I'll just try to do something every day and as I get more fit (hopefully) I'll be able to exercise harder, etc. We already ride our bikes about 3 times a week and I get on the eliptical a couple times a week. Today on the eliptical I noticed I did an extra minute at 4 resistance, something I couldn't do a few months back, so my legs are getting stronger. Seems I've already made a start for all this that I wasn't giving myself credit for!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:46 pm

Well yesterday my bs was too low
today it's too high
sigh
part of life for me I guess.
I did take a long with with dgd this morning
before it got too hot
skipped the farmers mkt.
will be up to 106* tomorrow they said
so I'll be walking early again
Sat. will be cooler we will go to the
farmer's mkt. then instead.
Neighbor gave us some lemon cukes
so that will be great.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Making a good start. These are the easy days, before the plateau, before the boredom sets in...

Did have my usual panic in the evening - which has nothing to do with appetite but everything to do with the can't eat any more today thought in my mind - which is odd because I've never really gone hungry at any time in my life.

Finding my binder setup just perfect, I'm journaling on the back side of my calendar pages and surprised I had a lot of thoughts to write down after just one day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Nancy I am always amazed you have high temps like that. If I didn't chat with you on these boards, I'd just assume my area was probably warmer than yours most of the time.

Harmony, have some raw almonds with you and snack on them when you have a bad thought about "nothing more". They are supposed to be an ideal snack, but more filling than having a celery stick. (Also, you could have a celery stick! I tell you this because yesterday I had a celery stick!!! See, just when you think you are alone in something! :D Well, also celery is supposed to help an acid tummy and mine is still not completely better.)

I also journal a little on the back of my 3x5 Healthy Habits checklists (graphed index cards). Just bare-bones notes. But wow, spreadsheets! 3 pounds a month sounds great. Riding bikes plus using the eliptical - you may already be doing as much as I am, Harmony! It could be just adding in the attention to weight loss will make things happen fast.

sherinjoy, you are so smart about calendaring patterns of PMS symptoms. You won't just be guessing but proving to yourself when there's a pattern to be considered.

Today HRH took me out for lunch and I picked the cafeteria. We each had fish of some kind with slaw. I had sweet potato and onion/tomato/lettuce salad with my grilled salmon. Yay! Get to check off 3 veggies with one good tasting meal.

I'm proud of my little "log" in Emptynester's logs thread. :) Proud of my days off and my tough days both. Dd11 noted that most of these school days she has found me exercising when she awakens. So I think consistency has conquered morning wariness about being stiff.

If only I could stick with Healthy Habits in the late afternoons and evenings as efficiently as I stick with them in the early mornings. Celery, celery. ;)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Harriet, I looked up almonds for calorie count and found 1 cup of ground almonds is 546 calories! Not that I'd eat a whole cup of ground almonds, but a couple whole ones'd be good.

I do the celery thing quite often. I started doing it for my stomach acid, also. Harriet I hope your stomach gets better and you don't end up with a chronic problem like me.

Still doing well despite all the cake the other day. Just gotta take little pieces and leave a bit on your plate! And one can't get much food on a plate that gets filled with salad first. :lol:

Return to “Healthy Habits”