Health and Fitness, August 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, August 2009

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:26 am

This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we grow more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Please join us! :)

Here's August arriving already and if we're in the western hemisphere we may be sweltering. How are you holding up in the HEAT? :o Drinking plenty of water? Trying out indoor exercise? (I love it!) Serving meals with light fruits and veggies? Tomato sandwiches... ... 'tis the season!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2009

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Coping with the heat here has me up
and walking earlier; watering while I"m gone
I was done with my 45 min. walk by 6:30 today yea me!!!

Plus we've been grilling so we don't heat up the kitchen
and made up things ahead on purpose
for the hottest day to lighten the load.

Going to try some new things now has us
excited about healthier meals and menus
getting a plan ahead helps us too.

I was about the same this week on the scales
so that's good news, love being at a new healthier weight
this summer and have been able to adjust to it mentally also.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Nancy you have that inspiring attitude going! Great to get excited about meal planning ideas. Let us know if you have any big successes/tips.

I thought lucylee would have posted by now! I know she was going to be away a while but thought she'd be back.

Well, I'm going to need some accountability for exercise! I shocked (jump-started?) myself by agreeing to participate in a T-Tapp clinic in November that will last for 4 hours (with 1/2 hour break). So I will need to get myself in shape to a point I won't embarrass myself, and will be ready to get benefit from it. Really the greatest benefit of doing this IS the fact I'll have to work up to being prepared over time. I've committed, and getting out of it doesn't make sense, so ... big surprise... I'm going to be getting in shape for November! :shock:

I have absolutely no idea what workout schedule I'll be working up through during August - my brain is not responding this evening. But I'm glad I have left myself no choice but to start planning! :idea: I suppose I should make some big visual reminder of this and the date.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:59 pm

I've been out in the yard this morning
and have done some of my walk
plus counting doing chores for part of exercise today,
yesterday's exercise was fishing berring w/ hubby.

Trying to keep meals simple this week
helps for my energy level
as I was fighting a bit of a summer cold.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:09 am

Dee brought us that inspiring old post from Sparkle, including Dee's own great 6 months of daily exercise, so that got me thinking. Going back to previous posts last summer, I found bunches of inspiration! Sadie reached about to her 50 pound loss then - what encouragement she was givng us! Twins Mom started her wonderful exercise program and really inspired us with her changes. Nancy started her health-building and learning so much about diabetes after her scary time at hospital (just think how well she's doing now). Lots of others - I think right about then was when lucylee was building up to multi-mile walks, too.

Overcame an obstacle this morning - exercised at 6:00 a.m. (close to first thing) without too much stiffness at all. I've always wondered if I could just get to that point of managing that one time, maybe I could get my body used to it and keep it up. I've never been able to do that. I'm scared of stiffness, thinking what if I strained my back and lost lots of time to recovery (plus thinking the workout won't benefit me if I do it gingerly instead of whole-heartedly), so I've always waited until later in the day and interruptions ruin everything, you know? (My life is based upon interruptions :roll: .)

Early morning exercise would mean easier consistency. It would be wonderful - fingers crossed.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 am

Harriet - I agree that early exercise helps the day along. I try to start my walk by 6 am. After I am warmed up from that, I do my exercises. Then I shower. I am usually done with all of that by 7:30. I was feeling guilty that I was taking an hour and 1/2 out of my day - but then I realized that it was for making myself healthy - what better thing to do with time well spent.

Do you have some easy warm-up exercises or stretches? That way you can get your body ready to exercise. If I would start right in with exercises, I know I would pull something. Edited to say - how about some walking in front of the TV? I have a Walk Away the Pounds DVD that I can use if it is really rainy out. Or just put on some music and march in place until you feel warmed up.

If I don't do it first thing in the morning - I don't do it at all.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:34 pm

I agree on the morning workouts....I'm back to MWF at 8 a.m. so that's motivating to me...I hated working out Tu/Th/F and then being off again until Tuesday.

I just posted a H&F update in Posting Members only with a link to my trainer's site.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:55 pm

It's pouring down rain today and cool out
only 67* for a hi. temp.
So I'm doing indoor stuff like laundry
changing sheets for exercise today.
Having some tea and checking in.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:21 pm

GASP :oops: I finally just made a Dr appointment for me! Way too long since I've seen her -sure I'll be bawled out :? Have one for me on the 21st of this month.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Emptynester, although I can't walk too far away from a car while I'm "on call" for my parents, I could do my walking video some before workout. Your post made me remember I do have a T-Tapp "morning stretch" DVD filmed during an informal clinic, which I had watched once. But it is so slow moving, with in-depth instruction and discussion, that I would need to study it and then do the moves without video for time's sake. When I have time during later parts of the day (lunchtime, maybe) I may try to watch and learn one "morning stretch" move at a time.

Today was another success with 20-25 minute workout done early. I didn't just get up and jump into exercise of course, but did a few things around the house first. I'm being super careful to stay well hydrated, too. I'm just so glad this is not causing me any trouble - I think that with each day of getting my body used to morning workouts in warm summertime, I'll move closer to an easier habit year-round that won't worry me for my back's sake.

Good job on the doctor's appt, Dee. Get it off your mind, hurray! I doubt you'll be fussed at too much. After all, during the time, you've taken care of some urgent health things that came up very well, like the shingles and all the good decisions through that.

I had already responded RESOUNDINGLY :) to Twins Mom in her other post, so will just say, FAAAntastic! I go back and forth between the ideas of every-other-day of more intense workouts (which is great for fatigue/rebuild cycle for muscles) or daily shorter ones. Right now on daily shorter ones to get used to early mornings.

Nancy, when I first discovered SHE internet chat I got so inspired I really started in to my cardfile with energy, so I could post back whatever I'd done. I lost 5 pounds in just a couple weeks for no other reason than new enthusiasm for housework! :lol: Housework is a fitness tool !

Return to “Healthy Habits”