Health and Fitness, August 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2009

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:01 am

I pulled weeds last night for some exercise.
Great info. Harriet on doing house work to loose wt.
Laundry is down stairs here so that's good for the heart!
I walked a long walk yesterday too.

Today will be walking by the river on the dike as we
watch dgd take a wake boarding class.

LurkyLou

Postby LurkyLou » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Wednesday will be the one-month measuring with my trainer. I know my face looks a bit thinner but she didn't measure my face!! But I'm wearing jeans now that, while not loose, are definitely not as tight as they were a month ago. So we'll see. What I'd really like is to be told I've lost 20% body fat--all in just a month. :lol: Yep, and win the lotto too....This last week's workouts seemed extra hard even though I know they weren't so I'm thinking I must be fighting off some virus or something. So I'll keep on keeping on and go drink some water....

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:01 am

How did your measuring go, Lurky?

I watched a program this morning that was very inspiring. It spotlighted a 60-yr-old lady who had much younger health. Her doctor said not to come back for 5 years.

She had rock-hard abs, a very youngish looking body and face. They talked about a doctor who had done some studies about cells, etc. and here is the conclusion: our cells die and are replaced every 6 months. We teach out cells either to decay or stay strong by the amount of activity we get. The human body was created to be very active.

One hour of activity, jogging, etc., every day will tell your cells to be strong and healthy and not decaying. They suggest 6 days a week of exercise. As for the brain, those pathways that get shortened, unattached to each other with altheimers, do grow when we reach out and stay connected with people. Doing charity type activities, helping, etc., actually lengthens those pathways again. They actually showed xrays about this.

Sounds almost too simplistic the way they talked about it, but I have it all in my brain to think about. Was very motivating, I got right up and got on my eliptical!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:18 am

Did get the branches hauled off to the dump
on Mon. two loads.
Tues. mowed the grass.
Walks were the exercise the rest of the week.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I went to the dr. this morning and was pleasantly shocked to see that my A1C was 6. Last time it was 6.4 and when I was diagnosed with diabetes in Feb. it was 10.5. My dr says anything under 7 is acceptable to him. The reason that I was shocked that it was so low is that my numbers seem to be all over the place. He did agree that my daily walking really helped with the low A1C. He said an A1C doesn't lie. Since the girls are back in school I haven't walked daily but I am up and busy. What I meant by numbers all over the place is that one day after walking my BGL might go down 3 and the next day 45. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Also that is eating the same thing each morning and walking the same route. Also there are days that I know I overloaded on fruit and the next day my BLG is a low number and then the next day it might be high and I had really watched my carbs the day before. Anyway that is why I was so surprised with the 6. All my labs came back great, so I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing.

LurkyLou

Postby LurkyLou » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Harmony: I was late getting off work last Wednesday, so was late getting to the gym. We decided against taking the time to do the measuring so I could get in at least 45 minutes of my workout. We changed my workout time to Tuesdays (when I'm off) at 11:30, so I have 3 more days to go. According to my scale though, I'm down 10 pounds, so something good should show on the measuring tape!!

LurkyLou

Postby LurkyLou » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Forgot to congratulate Lilac---BWTG!! Very impressive! Keep on trekking :lol:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 am

Harmony, that's really fascinating research isn't it?

Lilac, congratulations on such a low number! You are nearly in the 5s! Yours is actually lower than my dh's was when his doctor also read through his month of morning recorded readings and admitted to him he had over-reacted in diagnosing even pre-diabetes! So you have really made a change. That is life-changing success.

LurkyLou, I read your info here and in the log thread - WOW, you have accomplished so much! I noticed you mentioned "at least 45 mins" of a workout - how long do you usually work out? What are your goals? So happy for you.

I am settling in to at least 20 minutes of video workout exercise for any "on" day, getting in one or two "off" days each week. Usually it turns out to be more than 20 because I'll do an extra move like hoe downs later in the day. Twice recently I've walked, but that is not something I plan intently. I'm recording in the log thread.

As I've probably mentioned too often, I really recommend 3 minutes of hoe downs, which are taught in a free video online. Good for anyone who would like to reduce blood sugar on a certain day, or anyone who feels they ate a meal that was too full of carbs.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:32 pm

It's so hot I"m putting off mowing till the weekend when it's supposed
to cool off and I can do it in the morning.

Walked last night in the evening again
but tonight it's still hot out 95*
just past seven.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Hiya, Nancy - drink plenty of water in weather like that! :shock:

Well, things are HUMMING in August healthwise. So much happening here already with my friends, and lo and behold, one of the classes HRH has taken on at school this semester is a Health class. He has agreed to a "Behavior Change Contract" HIMSELF as a project! He has chosen (and COMMITTED) to the behavior change of "weight loss" and put MY name down as his partner/friend to keep him committed/consistent. I have to sign the contract! Yikes! He has had to put in writing 2 short-term goals and their target dates, plus one long-term goal which I think is still within the semester, Dec 12th.

Return to “Healthy Habits”