Health and Fitness, September, 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, September, 2009

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Welcome!

In this thread we chat about keeping ourselves strong and capable as we pursue our calling as homemakers. Our family members may need to lean on us, and we may need to lean on them. Proactive medical answers, sensible consumption of healthy food and water, getting enough rest, and getting enough activity, too - these are all part of our plans! Helping each member of our households work in all their healthy habits is priceless!

Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2009

Postby Harmony » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:10 pm

I am starting the month with not much to report on the weight loss. However I am making good progress with the exercise. I have stepped that up quite a bit and am able to do way better than I ever have before. I'm up to 7+ minutes on the eliptical at #4 resistance, and that gets my heart pumping for sure! My guage says I burn about 78 calories going at the maximum speed I can manage...and I think eating a cookie to wipe that out is not worth it!

Besides doing this every day, I either take a walk or ride my bike for half an hour. Bike riding feels like fun to me, it doesn't feel like exercise. Makes me feel like a kid again. Since we started riding our bikes, I have improved my balance and stamina (a little). I used to be a little timid on my bike, hoping I wouldn't tip and spill, now I can zoom around and feel quite comfortable.

Don't you think at some point this will make my metabolism speed up? I'm hoping..

Anybody have any suggestions for jump-starting this? I am filling out my charts, doing my exercise. I've been keeping calories between 1200 and 1400, lower than my usual intake. Around day 2 I lost 1 1/2 lbs., then started back up and now I'm 2 lbs. +. I know it can't be muscle this soon, but am very discouraged. Know I'm not missing anything food-wise cause I'm logging everything, looking values up, measuring. I'm also drinking more water. :x

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Harmony, I would say nothing has happened yet according to the scale - you've fluctuated up and down around the same number, that's all. So don't be discouraged about not "keeping" the 1.5 away. Upping my exercise DOES make me gain a bit right away - it's not the permanent muscle density but water retention within the muscle for repair.

For ideas: Kathryn has had good luck with her cereal-based diet. I'm sure she'd recount it for you, or you could search for her posts on cereals. She regained some, but that's because of recent travel - I'd say she did very well and I think she's enjoyed it without feeling deprived.

Something I think works: alternating. Change things up.

Alternate with "God Made/Man Made" (2 days of mostly God-made foods, then adding some Man-Made foods you like on the next day, modestly, so you won't feel deprived).

Or alternate day changes of calorie amounts. The Alternate Day Diet is probably the best selling book on that idea, by Dr. Johnson, of "up day, down day" fame, and so many people swear by him. But the gist of his book is on hiswebsitefor free, with a calorie calculator. You don't feel deprived because, for instance, T, TH, Sat and Sun you eat normally, and reduce calories on M, W, F.

Alternate exercise or take days off. You do this with alternating biking and walking already, but I'd imagine it would be good for you to take a day off the eliptical every once in a while. You're using the same muscles to fatigue every day - let them rest a day and let go of water retention, repair.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:01 pm

Harriet, thanks for the link, it looks interesting and I'll go back and read some more.

I considered going more high protein, but after trying that a bit realized I just don't eat that much meat and a high protein diet doesn't work unless one really limits the carbs almost to nothing. A combination just results in too many calories.

So I am still up and down, lost the original 2lbs. then managed to lose 1 1/2, then 1/2 lb came back. I think some of this is water. I stayed off the eliptical a couple days, and my legs feel back to normal finally.

Still trying to feel my way through this. Tonight I had large tossed salad with chicken breast, a couple hours later my blood sugar plummeted right as I was trying to do some gardening. It is really hard for me to figure it all just right. I am going to keep on trying.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Blood sugar sure is a mystery. It can be trial and error. The times I've had a sink, it was always such a surprise.

I don't do low-carb eating because HRH can't do it - it would be devastating because of the gout, and in fact dr has warned him. And I figure the high-protein that would give him pain is like a harbinger for all of us, because we all have or will have arthritis to some extent. Gout is just the arthritis that is most sensitive to change in diet. That being said, Lady Maverick and her dh have had great success with low carb. And if it takes the weight off, it is offering a health benefit.

Today I was so sweaty (and this is a good thing). I did an entire workout DVD: 45 minutes, the full workout without instruction. I drank a pint of water during exercise and needed another pint after, so, another good thing.

Guess my workout inspired me, because my eating today has been super. It's like Harmony says, you figure you don't want to eat things that will negate your work. And it's been low on the calorie range, so tomorrow I'll make sure to bring it back up.

I may take my own "alternating" advice some. Since I heard from Smile Lee that she is finding M, W, F exercise fits in well within her weekly plan, I've been thinking of alternating exercise days with off days again like I did while I was being so consistent. I won't be able to match her rigorous schedule, because she is doing both standing and floor work on her exercise days. But about 45 minutes 3 times a week is 2-and-a-quarter hours per week, and I know from experience I do well at that level. I'll have to be flexible - if a day needs to be moved over, not a problem.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Just wanted y'all to know I haven't given up on myself.
I've been reading and absorbing some of the information here between Harmony & Harriet's discussion. Alternating days of calorie-watching, etc. sounds possible. Well... a little bit possible, anyway...

My weight is still hovering around 154-155. There's not much change around here. Of course, that is a good thing, in itself.

Sorry if this turns into TMI... but I have had stomach problems for the last couple, maybe going on three weeks now. It's not TERRIBLE, just have to run to the bathroom every time I eat anything substantial at all. Sometimes I REALLY have to be able to get to the bathroom QUICK. Other times, it's not an emergency or anything, but still an annoyance, to say the least. I haven't changed anything I'm eating, except I have left off my Special K Protein cereal, b/c it seemed like it made it worse.
The REALLY annoying thing is, it seems like the weight would just be FALLING off me -- but -- no. I mean, some people purposely take laxatives to lose weight this way. My weight just hangs around at my apparent set point. * sigh *
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:45 pm

We will be up with DD & family, perhaps both DD's and families if we can arrange it. Through at least 3 meals and a couple snack times. YIKES! There is already talk of the ice cream store where DD has a gift card, and dinner of pizza. Y'all think of me as I navigate this mine field.

Lucy, I am hovering about 2 lbs over your hover point! You are doing good!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Sidelight - ds24 was telling us today how cleanly he's been eating - I'm so glad. He's also well into the second week of an exercise program, on which he spends 1.5 hours per evening with one day off per week. Ddil says it's rigorous. He's lost the 10 pounds of honeymoon weight and looks great - flat tummy again. The amusing (or gratifying) thing to me, is that with all the brand new weights equipment at the newly built fire dept, the program he chose is a series of video workouts! Chip off the ol' block. 8-) I told ddil that he learned over years from me how convenient video workouts are. He used to be my biggest cheerleader.

trish

Postby trish » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:53 pm

It has been ages since I have stopped in, congratulations to DSon.
I am doing well. Weight is staying off.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:09 am

Harmony I thought of two things. For a few days check the sodium content of the things you are eating. Add them up - even bread and milk, etc. You may be getting more sodium than you think.

The other thing is when I initially took off my pounds I would eat healthy 8 days a week and I day I had what ever I wanted -in moderation. It kick started my reduction everytime. Each of us are different so just try a few things until you find what works for you.

Return to “Healthy Habits”