Health and Fitness, October 2009

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, October 2009

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Sigh scrubbing kitchen counters did not burn off as much blood sugar
as I'd hoped but it was great arm exercise!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm

LOL, Nancy, I'm always surprised at the little calories our work does burn off.

Still holding onto my meager 3 lb loss. Unable to exercise the past 2 days because I have very sore calf muscles, especially the left one. Puzzling, because when I'm on the machine it's my thigh muscles I can feel working. I'm thinking I did something to my legs with the 6 hours of steady cleaning in that villa.

Wondering if anybody else gets irritable from lack of calories like I've been getting? I'm just mad, mad, mad. Also I've been headachey. I know I used to "medicate" my moods with food and now that I'm not doing that...look out! Or is it something physical? Been wondering if I'm detoxing my brain. Hoping this passes soon.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Moving furniture and doing mop boards in the living room was
great for my blood sugar last night!

LurkyLou

Postby LurkyLou » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:14 pm

As I was folding clothes this morning, a pair of dd's jeans made it into dh and my piles. So I tried them on! And they fit!! WhooHoo! They're a size smaller than I currently wear, so am excited about picking up some new pants!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:58 pm

LurkyLou, that is the best kind of inspiration! New jeans size!

Nancy, I like hearing about your housework-ercise! Two kinds of goals met at the same time.

Harmony, as you have changed your eating, have you reduced caffiene enough to cause caffiene withdrawal headaches, maybe? Or could it be sugar withdrawal symptoms?

I wanted to thank Harmony for her reminder that water dilutes tummy acids. I realized that in the evenings before bed, just because I don't want to eat doesn't mean I can't drink, so I've been drinking a little dixie cup full of water when I brush my teeth before bed and I think it's good for me.

I wanted to thank Smile Lee in print here because even though she seldom gets to post she does stop by, and she has sent me kind encouragement privately and tried to help me with exercise hopes.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:56 am

Ah, Smile Lee, remember her well! She was such an inspiration for exercise!

MT had asked me a while back what I was using as my 'base' number for blood sugar and had mentioned that no one had ever really given her what the numbers 'should' be. I came across this chart yesterday in a little booklet written by Dr. Bob Arnot.

FASTING:
IDEAL RANGE: 80-100
IDEAL: 95
VERY GOOD: 120
ACCEPTABLE: 150

1 HR AFTER MEAL
IDEAL RANGE: 100-150
IDEAL: 125
VERY GOOD: 180
ACCEPTABLE: 210

2 HRS AFTER MEAL
IDEAL RANGE: 80-130
IDEAL: 105
VERY GOOD: 150
ACCEPTABLE: 180

3 HRS AFTER MEAL
IDEAL RANGE: 80-110
IDEAL: 95
VERY GOOD: 130
ACCEPTABLE: 160

Does this help?

EDITING OCT 17 AT 10:35 -I've now 'tweaked' it and hopefully it will be easier to read. I think these 'goals' are within the guidelines I've seen at the Doctor's office.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Not a caffiene headache (I don't think), probably sugar withdrawal.

I can't drink much water just prior to laying down, it causes everything to come up a bit.

Tuesday night was very bad for me, I'd eaten some cashews which I now know I can't digest and they caused massive problems and eventually all came back up on me.

Still slowly losing weight, working on another lb., on & off in 1/2 lb intervals, I can tell when it's going away for good. I am starting to see a couple hollow spots just beneath my ribs on either side that I didn't see before.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 am

My doc. said for me not to freak out if my 1 hr. after meal
reading is up to #250 so that helps me to not loose my cool
over a reading on the up side.

Today was better.

My doc. gave me a target range of 75-150 for blood sugar levels.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:38 am

hi all.

I am struggling to stay on calories on my own. I have eaten my oatmeal, had my coffee and will have oj
but I struggle most at night.
so I will go focus on the house so I don't focus on food (because I am not hungry)
lunch: chicken broth, 1/2 can tomatoes crushed, basil, 1 cup whole wheat noodles, chicken 2 ounces (made a soup)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Nancy, it's good you will be able to be calmer about the numbers now, with dr's input.

blessed, I had oatmeal this morning, too. It really helps with less hungry feelings for longer. I don't do oj now with tummy troubles. Making a soup is so smart.

I am going to the grocery soon to get ingredients for corn chowder. It will be a soothing meal for my tummy, plus good for us. I may freeze some.

Planning more very simple meals. I am rereading some of Fit for Life and planning to do proper food combining more often for digestive health. I want to make some of their sandwiches (and the chowder). I also have their cookbook. I bought Almond Milk - that should be helpful. I used to make my own using the directions in Fit for Life - it was good but took time.

I am getting in more exercise, thank goodness. Maybe the middle of Oct was a turning point in feeling well enough for exercise for me, or at least the last few days have been. I am drinking more water while exercising (water breaks) and I think that's helping. I don't always feel so well all day long, but I do feel well after exercising.

Return to “Healthy Habits”