2024 Around our Village Gardens

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Harriet

2024 Around our Village Gardens

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:47 pm

Here’s a space to discuss the chores and pleasant efforts that bring something from the land into your kitchen and home.

Planning and designing,
tiny plants, big plants,
Enjoying views,
Vegetable garden harvests,
Egg gathering,
Beautiful blooms,
4-H projects,
Canning/freezing/putting up,
Orchard fruits,
Composting and building soil,
Animal appreciation!

Harriet

Re: 2024 Around our Village Gardens

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 pm

New baby chicks have arrived for the spring at ds' house. Buff Orpingtons and another "sexlink" breed that is a cross between Silver Laced Wyandotte and Rhode Island Red. Ddil invested in a little brooder that keeps them warm.

I've gotten the garden beds cleared out here. Dstepson pulled up the last plants. All ready for new plants as soon as it's warm enough. Looks like I may need some additional soil and amendments. I also need to purchase replacements for some drip irrigation hoses.

Dd25 will be moving into a new house when she marries. She took some photos of an existing flower bed there at the front walkway. I'd like to give her some flowers. It's so hard to tell but it seems to have a northwest exposure on the front. Some shade-loving flowers, maybe.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:15 am

Snowed here yesterday 20 days till spring.
I am doing walk arounds and got out some planters others were emptied last week.
Next mo. will focus a bit more on the bed clean out.
Iris are up 6" and daffs are up 4" snow drops are blooming.
Too soon to get out mower & hoses but I did hear a neighbor using one last weekend.
Wishing I had the little flags like lawn spray people had for the plants weeds I want to move or take out
after it warms up a bit more. Thinking what I can use for markers...

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:15 pm

I worked on the back yard today marked the stuff to move or just dig out with selvages cut off from fabric
from sewing projects to mark them with. Dug out a gallon of things to come out vol. herbs & the pesky bulbs Not done but about 3/4th of the way done with this round. Yea for progress!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 pm

I'm somewhat later than other years starting because of so much indoor creativity this spring. But I purchased 2 trays of plants today.

Found the "double pink begonia" that did so well for me two years ago but could not be found last year. It was quite a standout, I remember, as a full, healthy plant but with the doubled blossoms looking kind of like little roses when you got close.

Could not find yellow lantana, but bought the pink-and-yellow-blossom type. I'm sure Harmony would have an opinion on that. I hope I like it okay. It's not that it's not individually pretty, but I'm sorry not to find the yellow. Yellow stands out so well against brick, making it helpful. If everything against the brick is red-to-pink, you sorta don't get credit for it.

Some impatiens came home with me and enough of the "coral" color to make me happy. Some of these will belong to dd25.

The absence of some other plants was a surprise. I didn't think I was THAT late. I guess a lot of folks have gotten the gardening bug.

I'll be headed to a home improvement store anyway to buy some irrigation hose, and maybe some soil amendments. So, I can shop further for plants.

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”