»-(¯`v´¯)-» Pet Show »-(¯`v´¯)-»

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Twins' Mom

Re: »-(¯`v´¯)-» Pet Show »-(¯`v´¯)-»

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:27 pm

And here's my Macs-boy. He's a lab mix - we like to say he's part "garbage retriever" because he's never met a kitchen garbage can that couldn't break into for something interesting to eat. He's extremely motivated by food - although we feed "at will" and keep food bowls partly full most the time, he greatly prefers people food by a wide margin and knows the pizza delivery guy intimately. He also has the tilt to his head that Helia mentioned with regard to Pepper - most endearing when you speak to him and he responds so nicely.

Macs also loves to go upstairs with me in the evening to read, but prefers to settle down on the love seat in our bedroom for the night. He's afraid of thunder and loud noises.

He was born in Sept 2001 and came from a shelter as an 8 week old puppy. In spite of two surgeries on one of his rear "knees" he still gets around well and loves a walk, so much so that I don't put on walking shoes in the house unless I'm taking him walking, because he gets so wound up. He weighs about 95 pounds - all dog muscle - and is a lot to handle on a walk.

He's extremely hyperactive still and is an expert kitchen counter-surfer - just last Friday he managed to snag the rest of the Shabbat challah when it was left at the back of the counter. As a puppy and younger dog he was an inveterate chewer of found objects, including cell phones, sunglasses, pencils, pens, clothing....almost anything.

Tip: Macs loves his crate - we "crate-trained" him from day one. Far from being "mean" to crate a dog, it gives him/her the sense of a den, a retreat from the hubbub. A puppy won't soil his crate, unless unavoidable, because that's his little home, so with appropriate outside breaks potty training is simplified. Macs still knows he gets a treat when we send him to his crate. As Macs' Mommy, I highly recommend crate training!

He's a very bad dog, but he's mine.
macs%20compressed%201.jpg

macs%20compressed%202.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

helia

Postby helia » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:04 pm

Love seeing all the pets here! Macs and Moses remind me of Pepper in some ways - balls, garbage, adorable head tilts. :) Sadie reminds me of Pepper too with wolfing down her food. Pepper is a crate dog as well; she's in her crate whenever no one is home and at night. She doesn't mind it at all. In fact, if she hears you say something remotely similar to "crate," she'll head off into it. We discovered this one day when ds very loudly said, "That's great!" It took us a while to figure out why Pepper was happily sitting in her crate afterward. . . .

I'll have the kids time pepper's meal eating, just out of curiousity. If you time Sadie's, Cowinkie, we can compare!!

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:02 pm

http://picasaweb.google.com/cowinkiedinks

Let's see if this works...the link will lead you to my web album since I am having problems posting Sadie's pictures here.
This is Sadie, The Wonder Dog. An almost 7 yr. old boxer who really thinks she's half mountain goat. She walks 2.5 miles every day with Sweetie, and loves to hike with us. She likes to plays ball. Sweetie has a special way to bounce the ball, and Sadie will launches herself in the air to catch it. She can wave, see picture #3, and roll over. One of her favorite things to do is hunt lizards...in fact she stalks them just like a cat...slow motion, intense, one paw at a time..sometimes taking 15 minutes to travel 10 ft. Amazing to watch. She also loves to chase birds in our back yard.

If you don't want a dog who's constantly in your space or by your feet, don't get a boxer...they are very social creatures. Also clowns and smart at the same time...All I have to do to bath Sadie is to turn on the water and say "Bath Sadie??" and she jumps into the tub. She never shakes till I tell her its ok. She is very growlie-growlie when she plays, but gentle with kids. Sadie's a snuggly thing who really thinks she's a lap dog. She loves to ride in the car and often gets treats from people at our bank and pharmacy. Sadie's never met a stranger that she didn't like, as long as she can tell we are safe. She is my therapy dog and can sense when I have a migraine or am just not feeling good. She positions herself right next to me, and won't leave my side...usually Sweetie has to coax her to eat; unheard of for a dog who can woof her dinner down...Gone in 15 seconds. Sadie is the 7th boxer in my life. My parents brought me home from the hospital with 2 waiting for my arrival.
My dad scooped me out of my mother's arms, put me on the floor and held my mother back...two giants pushed me around on the floor with their square warm noses. And 2 100lb body guards were born.

[b]AND[/b] because I'm just learning this program and don't know what I am doing.... After you click on the link and you get to the pictures...look at the top left side and you will see... My Photos... click that and you will see a picture of Sadie the Sun-puppy. Click the picture, and that will take you to another picture of Sadie at her chin rest.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

indy

Postby indy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Well, I got myself a dachshund -- May 2006? -- can that be right? He's a long-haired, piebald (chocolate spots on white with carmel speckled legs and eyespots as well as muzzle) and he is either a chicken or a fierce defender. He loves to play all by himself or with us and DH loves to get him hyper and running in circles around the room now and then -- it's really funny to see those short little legs flying! I love him to bits and he seems to be a happy little camper and just recently he got to prove that literally as we camped on our travels last month for a couple of nights anyway. Now let's see if I can post the pic.

It didn't like it because my file was too large -- sigh! I'll have to find a different pic!
Last edited by indy on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:03 pm

indy the picture size needs to be 300 x 300 pixels.

If it is too big send it to shesorganized@gmail.com and I'll size it.

indy

Postby indy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Thanks, Indiana, e-mail is on its way with the pic attached. I still have to locate a more recent photo also but that will take a while,so the "baby" pic will have to do for now.

comp1.jpg

indy can I have a bigger one. I agree it doesn't make sense that it was too big for you and too small for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

indy

Postby indy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Really weird, huh? Okay, I'll find a bigger one and post when I locate a good one. We have pics but most aren't on the computer or anywhere on the web yet. Thanks for the help.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:55 am

Here's a pic of our little brat pup. She's a wonderful dog in many ways, but often has difficulties with keeping her attitude under control. She'd like to think SHE is the boss around here! :lol:
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:03 am

Hmmm ... ... I think I was planning to comment on indy's pretty piebald dachshund's picture when it was posted, and forgot to come back and see! I love short-haired, low dogs, since we always had perfect experiences with beagles. Speckled legs always look so adorable and puppy-like to me!

bittersweet, there's a lot of energy about to burst out of that picture, I think. Looks like she's about one second away from springing up to you! Is she part poodle?
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:51 am

Nope, Harriet...no poodle in Miss Tiffany...she's a Bichon/Shih Tzu. Here's a picture of dbabypup. He's supposed to be my daughter's dog, but since she leaves most of the care to me, I just treat him like he's mine. Although, technically speaking, he's a chiweenie...half chihuahua, half daschund, he looks much more like a pure daschund.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”