Heading Outside in July and August!

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Harriet

Heading Outside in July and August!

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Welcome from your village neighbors - the view of your home is lovely! We hope you'll post with us about our out-of-doors!

Is the livin' easy because of care you've taken with your outdoor spaces?
Have you received any compliments?
What's the bumper harvest (squash, anyone?)?
Have you decided on a new project, or have you opted for a hiatus if the weather is a bit much?
And, speaking of a little rest, what's the most comfortable outdoor perch at your place?

If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

bittersweet

Re: Heading Outside in July!

Postby bittersweet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Know what really bugs me? When I have a nice long post typed out, I hit the wrong button, and the whole bleepin' thing is gone!! :roll:

Here's a picture of the new plant I tried this year...it turned out really nice, and I'm hoping it comes back next year! It's supposed to - Asiatic lilies are hardy in this zone. If I'd known it was going to be that nice, I would have bought more....they were only $5 each.

http://tinyurl.com/5rodb2
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Oh.my.goodness bittersweet! This lily is drop dead gorgeous!

I'm uploading again some screened porch photos...

IMG_1822 compressed.jpg

IMG_1825 compressed.jpg

IMG_1852 for upload.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:44 am

Oh man oh man oh man, Twins, wouldn't I just LOVE to have a screened in porch like that!!!

The lily is called Lilium landini (don't know if it has a common name or not). They're fairly new on the market, and can be quite expensive, but I lucked out - they were selling some this year just to see if there was much demand. Now I'm wishing I'd gotten more.

We've been picking lettuce for salads and sandwiches for weeks now - just take a few leaves off each plant, and they'll keep producing all season :D The tomato plants are starting to get tiny green tomatoes on them - there's four red tomato plants and two yellow tomato plants...should have a nice variety of sizes and tastes. My peas are getting flowers on them already - they were only planted about fives weeks ago!! It's a very fast maturing variety called 'Alaska' that is supposed to be producing withing two months. Everything needs weeding, of course, and a good watering - I'll try to fit that in tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow I'll be going over to Mum's in the afternoon to help her move some irises and colchicums, so she can have her false creek bed widened and deepened. It looked really good when it was first done about three years ago, but wasn't deep enough, so the gravel bed has gotten all clogged up with dirt and weeds. There is also, of course, a ton of weeding to be done, and probably a couple of new beds to be marked off, and maybe even the sod removed.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:53 am

I HAVE PEAS!!!!!!!! Yesterday, while playing with DGS in the back yard after supper, I noticed that there are peas on my pea plants now!!!!!!! They're not ready to pick yet, being only about 2" long and very flat, but according to DD - who was allowed to taste ONE - they're mmmmmmmmYUMMYYYYY!!! :lol:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Heading Outside in July and August!

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Bsweet way to go!
I have squash we have some dson has some too so
I put some sliced in the deep freezer.
The beans [climbing] are blooming.

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”