The Productive Backyard - 2015

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Harriet

The Productive Backyard - 2015

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:32 pm

The Productive Backyard

Here’s a space to discuss the chores and pleasant efforts that bring something from the land into your kitchen and home.

Vegetable garden harvests,
Egg gathering,
4-H projects,
Canning/freezing/putting up,
Orchard fruits,
Composting and
Livestock appreciation!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: The Productive Backyard - January to June, 2015

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:08 pm

I have a hen sitting on ten eggs, the new hens are beginning to lay now too. I am working on on improving composting here. I have herbs growing on the counter.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Nancy, I hope the hatch is easy, with strong chicks.

Was able to give a beautiful dozen eggs to dstepson's family yesterday. Am getting almost an egg a day right now from these hens, so for the first time in a long time we have extra. I can tell which hen laid which egg, since the two breeds lay different shades of brown, and smallest hen lays smallest egg, etc. They are all good layers. They are getting scraps sometimes now, but I know they are dreaming of spring growth and insects.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:03 pm

Tonight I've got the roo in the coop, his pen was damp from a spilled water dish and foggy weather today.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:28 am

Culled the extra RIR roo, do not need 2 for sure It was a difficult but I did the deed. Kept the white one more mellow and I wanted a white one will keep the genitic gene pool a bit more diverse also.

Yesterday had to chase the next gen roo chick from the neighbors yard back home th e chicks had decided to hide under the shop for a while I was worried and very happy when they all got back in the coop. We have 5 chicks 4 are hens I think.

Have mamoth sun flower seeds and decorative dark red ones, & carrot seeds too plant. I need to remember to ot put th em back in the cupboard to find in the fall! LOL! I want to get couple scented geriniamun also they help keep misquitos away. Too early to plant tomatoes still but I can get some more ground prep done first.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Last week Lowes had a few tomato plants out but our last frost date here isn't until the middle of April, I think, so I will hold off. I have a second raised bed that I need to assemble and will double my raised bed space this year. This is in addition to two planters on the patio, one will have several basil plants, the other has mint, oregano and rosemary, all three of which overwintered.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Too funny I have to share. Trying to train the roo to go in the roo house for the night. I caught him and put him in it a couple nights this week. Tonight he sneeks in the run and goes in to stealth in a nest box mode trying to pretend to be a hen! He is not dumb. LOL!
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Brains helps to make for a good next generation of chicks, Nancy, so prize that smart rooster!

Twins' Mom, I'm wondering what your raised beds are made from?

Had the chickens trained to lay near the people door, convenient for us. They've switched back to the rear of the house again. Previous hens would be put off by an empty plastic drink bottle placed in an unwanted nesting spot and abandon it. So I could "place" them where I wanted. Tried that with these and a drink can, which is even shinier, and they ignored it. Maybe it has to do with the shape of the clear bottle, or maybe these hens are just more stubborn. I'll try something else.

Scrambled a dozen of our beautiful eggs for dd35's family's Saturday breakfast and the grandboys just scoffed them up. Dsonil and little britches4 both had extra helpings! If it hadn't been so cold and windy I would have let the boys get the hens out onto the grass with me, but maybe next time.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:43 am

Chicken news in my "extended" backyard -- This is the 3rd year that the children's librarian has brought an incubator with eggs into the library so the little kids can watch them hatch and see the chicks grow. She raises small bantams that come in different colors.

The first year she ordered eggs online. The 2nd year she used eggs from the chickens that hatched the first time. This year will be the 3rd generation.

She had trouble getting enough eggs to fill the incubator this time. We theorized that the bitterly cold weather followed by weird back & forth, warm & cold temperatures disrupted the laying & fertilizing schedule. She finally had enough to fill the machine; then later when she candled the eggs, she had to take out 10 because there were no chicks inside.

They are due to start hatching this Wednesday. She will bring in a small plastic bin at first, then a larger one as the chicks grow. They will live in the library for about a month, or until they grow up enough to figure out how to jump out of the bin.

The breed the kids usually like best are silkies that have a puffball on the head and fluffy feet.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:58 am

I prepped the side yard more for planting. The hens thought the discarded herbs lemon vetbenia were salad greens.

I will think on putting a milk jug in the lower nest boxes thanks for that tip Harriet.

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”