The Productive Backyard - 2015

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Twins' Mom

Re: The Productive Backyard - 2015

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 am

Harmony, I wanted to say that composting works most efficiently when there is a mix of "greens" and "browns." I think the kitchen veggie scraps work as greens so having some of the other helps it not become slimy or smelly. Googled an article for you: http://compostguide.com/compost-materials/

I composted at our old house by throwing kitchen scraps and compostables out in a specified area and throwing some fallen leaves over them now and then. Of course, we didn't have enough sun to grow anything so I never actually harvested compost. :lol:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:13 pm

helia, I would say you might lose them at about 8, even though there are many reports of chickens that live especially long lives. You have almost nixed the possibility of predators completely, since you're able to keep yours so close. We buy eggs even with younger hens. Especially during the winter. Have always enjoyed hearing your hen's names.

The rains have been awful here. The hens don't even want to walk out the door sometimes. I'm going to be glad when we dry out. Also my violas are so consistently wet that I can't press any blossoms, so dry weather is needed there, too.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Harriet, weather has cleared here and we have sun today - hope yours is improving as well!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”