~ Outdoor Action ~ 2019

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Lynlee

Re: ~ Outdoor Action ~ 2019

Postby Lynlee » Fri May 31, 2019 2:27 am

pulled some more weed with Velcro seed from along side the veranda. Its not perfect but the bits out to grab me, or the washing, are gone at least.
Also pulled some weeds elsewhere.
It all helps.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:17 am

Lynlee, if those velcro bits are small round balls, I think I know what you're dealing with. When I was a child, my ddad would "employ" me to pick them off his clothes. Ugh. It took so much time. I think they are called "bur-clover" according to info I see now. Along with the word "burrs", my ddad would sometimes call them "beggars", or "beggar-ticks". When I look it up the actual plant called "beggar-tick", though, has burrs that are elongated, so I don't think that's the right name. Yes, you and I both have them in our vicinity - aren't we lucky. Also Chile does - hmmm.... ..what a wide range they have.

My little nemesis, Ophelia the Orpington hen, has been going through a very weak period. Dd and I think we heard her get bitten by something while she was on a walkabout with us but on the other side of henhouse so we couldn't see. We know she set up a terrible racket and then was half-flying back to us. She's been lethargic and her comb is drooping. She's always been the smallest and most adventurous (frustrating rascal). She learned to fly through the window, never cared how far she roamed, used her better eyesight (I think) to stay out late, and has caused a bunch of trouble all kinds of ways. For this she has been the grandchildren's favorite, especially dgs7, who says, "O-FEEL-ia just doesn't FEEL like being good, Grandma."

Since that incident she's let bigger sister Octavia take all kinds of morsels away from her and now never goes anywhere without big sister. She's hardly wanted to leave the house and lies in the straw though she's quit laying eggs - a bad sign. Sometimes they don't last long after that. This may be kinda profound for us - Since there are only two left, and getting on in years a bit, either one's death will likely mean the other won't have much will to continue.

But maybe there's hope today. HRH has been babying her, and I'll admit I have, too. The hens were given big chunks of a cantaloupe, bought with Ophelia in mind, for instance. Today she barreled down the ramp as normal and has been standing, preening herself, so maybe she's back. HRH is a great believer in cantaloupe to rejuvenate hens, convinced he saved one of ours in the past by making sure she had plenty. The watery types of melons don't seem to do the same good.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:03 pm

We had cool rainy weather midweek so I took a break. I am rethinking the step into the potting shed I have a solution to try.
I need a different painting platform for that project the last one was not tall enough.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:13 am

Harriet - yes the offending weed is a tri leafed legume, pea family member, though not the clover relation. The seeds are flat, grow in a bean like way though all the seed segments divide up into single seeds so each needs to be unstuck. Leaves are like clover, only much larger.
There is another weed /vine here that is more of a climber, with Velcro hairs on the stems as well so it really does reach out to grab you as you walk past.
What can I say about clover burs except cut the patches of clover before the burs get a chance to find bare feet, or animal fur tangles.

I was interested to read the healing possibilities of canterlope/ rockmelon. Be well and stay safe Ophelia.
Hens might not get a lot of chances if attacked.

I did do another session in the yard pulling weeds through the week. I thought of it as premowing for one area, then roamed further to pull what we call cobblerpegs, before they dropped their spear with harpoon seeds or to catch in clothing or fur.
If you wished I think the fresh new leaves would be a helpful green.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:01 am

Getting ready to paint the west side of the potting shed, rounding up paint supplies,
saw horses for reaching the taller part. Found the paint stuff brushes, pans, stir sticks etc.
I need paint thought I had some but it was interior.

I pulled a few weeds in front of the shop.

I have painted the west side of the shed on the outside. Got inside paint for it this morning.
I picked up stuff that needed to be moved afterward, moved the stumps, put concrete blocks in
their place, they are ready to fill in with dirt & plant.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 am

Nancy - you are always amazing in the amount you can do, and actually get in there and do it.

Finally
I mowed until the mower stopped this afternoon. The charge is supposed to last 45min.
The grass and weeds in that patch were well overdue so it wasn't as much done as I wanted.
If wishes were reality I guess life would be somewhat different.

Note to self.
Get to the mowing more often.
I put the height on the highest setting as last time I could barely push the thing. tried the side shute for the first time. Its a plug that fits into the catcher 'door' and redirects the debris to the side. Overwhelmed would be the word that describes what the mower thought of that.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:34 am

I got my first cherry tomato yesterday and instead of photographing it, popped it in my mouth. It was delicious! One of my tomato plants - the one that had the ripe little 'mater - is spindly looking. I've not had great luck with my tomatoes the last couple of years, I was hoping that replacing the soil made a difference. The other plant, which is a reliable variety is sturdy and full, but nothing is ripening yet. I thought when I left for vacation at the end of May that I might have a ripe one by the time I returned, but it just sits there.

I thinned the zinnias a couple of weeks ago and they are growing, but not ready to flower yet.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:33 am

Mowed some more today. I stopped before the batter timed out.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:04 am

Thanks! I walked the dog weeded and planted onions, picked a few beans, yesterday. Today eco load to go, plant sweet potatoes to do.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:00 pm

A surprise to me was the chance to go through the new upscale garden center a town or two away. HRH just dropped me off and said have fun, went on an errand of his own. He was SO right not to try to go through it himself. The heat and humidity in there was beyond belief. My face was so pink-red when I got back to him that he was staring at me. I looked severely sunburned!

But they did still have some annuals. Bought impatiens, more coleus, baby's tears, too, for some draping/hanging in a basket, as well as one dwarf blue morning glory, just because I'm looking for small blue blossoms to press! Dd was delighted when she got home. She's picked out the spot for the morning glory to take the place of a spent flower in her galvanized trough. If I told my parents that I deliberately purchased a morning glory they'd have thought I was crazy.

2 fly-aways of wrens here (same parents), and 1 fly-away of bluebirds from the sanctuary of our front porch. Pretty sure of 10 babies, total. This is something I've never allowed, but HRH is determined to let them manage if they can. Then it becomes nerve-wracking when anything threatens them. And something I don't know is what happens with the housing shortage, if they all want to come back to live where they were hatched! This is a sexist observation, but I believe old men start getting soft spots in their hearts for bird nests. I've seen this in several of my uncles in the past - very protective, when they couldn't have cared less as young men. At least in those households, their wives were :roll: .

Maybe now I can use the outdoor pillows ddsil gave us on the porch. Up to now, I had this vision of bird poop on pillows.

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”