2021 - Coming ready or not.

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Lynlee

Re: 2021 - Coming ready or not.

Postby Lynlee » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:07 pm

Harmony - have a look on line for permaculture. Its about building a natural system that suits local conditions. lots of different things/ plants together. I visited a coastal person who had build a lot on the sandy base. her built up areas did not have a hard surround.
Some thoughts - mulch helps a lot, most places. The ash might have been too concentrated, and maybe the what was burnt had an effect too.

For garden design - start with a mud map of the yard, draw in the house, driveway, sheds, mulberry tree, concrete strip, vegie square . Think about what you want to grow.

When you cycle about look out for what others have done that was successful. In other words - what grows in that area. Talk to people. They may gift you cuttings and helpful advice.
(I would) Take most notice of those without the elaborate watering systems, though you may find that helpful if DH got onboard with drip systems instead of building houses.

I was reading last week of a permaculture course in Albury NSW that has taught students from the Amazon to Thailand, and its in an often arid place, so principles can be applied everywhere.

Thanks everyone for posting here. I need to get myself together enough to do more here and reading what you are doing helps me. I have to admit green just grows here, though not much that fruit or nuts are produced.
My neighbour was doing great with an asian style market garden, before the scrub turkeys decided it was their favorite place to scratch things out.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:09 am

good idea d lynlee

d harmony I think that it would be a good idea to call the extension office - I wonder if a 4 H group or college students would help.
I am not a tropical person either.
Is there someone who can help you put a drip system in on a timer. that will help with your plants. look up garden answer -
also is there a YouTube videos on zone 10 - I use garden answer who is in zone 7 and I belong to a garden answer group in zone 5 on Facebook.

I am sure the garden answer group has a zone 10 group.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 am

it's been hard with my body lately. I have been having really stiff periods where I have to rest in the afternoon - ankle has been an issue.
plus dear pup is fully of energy 8-) :D

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:40 am

today: I am still in zone 1 a, b, c, d, e
I had to leave it yesterday - it's okay

missed yesterday:
zone 2 a, b, c needs weeding - I did that last Tuesday but it's filling with grass already!
I haven't finished putting seeds in

will miss today: zone 3
weeding and cleaning.

Thursday is zone 4 which is an easy hour.

Friday is supposed to be zone 5 in front - but dd is home for a couple days.

I worked in only 1A the whole day - d dog ran off to neighbors and played with their dog, she chased squirrels and barked at another neighbors dog. I played with her for over 2 hours - 1 hour, half hours during the day - then added at night total but she was outside with me the whole day.

planted the one evergreen, planted begonias and weeded. I also added dirt and compost to areas, watered pots. (I am filthy from head to toe but it's a good feeling - time for a shower).

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:00 am

no work in garden but getting landscape garbage in compost collection bin - put out front for collection tomorrow
landscaper coming today so I had to pick up hoses and dogs toys
watered all the pots and planters

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:06 am

with dd younger home I didn't do anything but water. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I took a complete vacation
all the bags of mulch and soil stayed exactly where it was - 94 deg was hard to move things.
oh well. I need the exercise.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:35 am

it's getting hot again. no rain again
I need to work in the shade.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:27 am

it's been so hot that I want d dog come out with me but she can't as the inside yard is full sun all day to evening.

I am going to have to water again the different zones in back. I did water zone 2 a and zone 3 on one side.
my hosta that should have done okay in the front has scorched - the heat and full sun until 1 is still too much for them
the birds nest is dying where I planted it so I think its too shady. Thinking I will flip them.

I have a party today
today: water
and put away

dog.walk short walks and play short times

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:51 pm

I am back inside after cleaning the bird water container.
Watered a bit and weeded some too did 30 min.
This morning I picked up weeds I pulled lsat night, and bulled some by one side of the front driveway.
Some progress, toms are growing only three plants now.
[I am craving a tomato sandwich.]
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:13 pm

blessed, I planted Hosta also, 4 mounds and they are almost in full shade. So far they are doing really well. I looked for something I could plant in that shady spot and this was it. DFriend said we can't grow them here. Everything I read said we could. So I'm trying it and so far so good. I know there are a few different kinds and mine is the one with variegated edges. I hope your plants do better out of the sun.

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”