2021 - Coming ready or not.

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
blessedw2

Re: 2021 - Coming ready or not.

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:21 am

yesterday I got to all the weeds except for under the bench -
roses are starting to bloom.

today: if rain and cold holds off:
plant pots in front :D
pull weeds :D
transfer out the hose to the compact hose. :D
plant pots of herbs :arrow:

Saturday: worked the entire day out in front finishing pulling vines and weeding and planting in the front bed. there is so much more to do - but it will be put to the next time in that zone area.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun May 30, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat May 29, 2021 4:29 pm

I have been doing rounds outside in the front yard
Yesterday di d along the back fence mo stly roses that were over the fence got permission to
Go on the neighbors property to prune my roses back.

Today. I got the front side yard on the West fence line pruned weeced and mowed.
Got the suckers pruned off the big maple tree in the front yard.
Plus I picked up after and put what I took off into the utility trailer.

One more area in the front to do but not today.
Perfect weater in the 70's fir doing this.
I watered.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 30, 2021 7:46 am

have you tried sucker punch by bonide - it really helps the suckers stay away without killing the tree. I use it all the time!

great work d Nancy!!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:45 am

on my list for shopping... moss for in between the flagstone
impatience for the front yard.

look at little lime light standard hydrangea

see if dd older can help me connect the printer so I can finish a design for the front. (trying to cut out pictures and put them on a picture of the front of the house to see what looks better.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 30, 2021 1:36 pm

Blessed ty 4 that recomendation.

I have gotten the last area pruned and got them in the trailer it is nearly full now.
Dd is going to h elp me get thethe gitters and haul that stuff off.
Cleaned the outdoor kitchen area. Hosed off older lawn camp chairs and two clear
totes that were in the plant cage they are drying now.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:29 am

yay on your work!!!! d Nancy!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 am

I wish a belonged to a women's group that go and weed and do work at each other's yard together - can you imagine what 5 women together could do in an hour -

I had fun doing nothing yesterday
I watered zone all of zone 1, 2, 4, and part of zone 3
I did some thinking!

today is supposed to be zone 1 weeding and planting things that haven't been planted
I also I setting up a grid on the right side of the garden so I can see how much sun I actually have per hour. I think there is more shad than I thought bc I was seeing that side of the garden before the leaves of neighbors trees filled in.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon May 31, 2021 9:17 pm

Blessed, I wish a group like that would come and help me plant and figure out a gardening plan! I have boring landscaping stuff I think but at least it is filled in a bit more than before I began working on it this year. I wish somebody knowledgeable about veggies down here would come help me. Stuff I get from my little garden is very sparse and little and therefore very expensive. I just don't have enough knowledge but I am trying.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:04 am

I think designing a garden is the hardest part of having a garden. I tend to get one of something but that makes it look mismatched. (no cohesiveness)
I am a fan of garden answer tours on her you tube channel. She does gardening every day but her tours show such balance throughout her garden.

I too wish I had someone with an eye for design as well.
dd younger has a wonderful eye for beauty and balance - she is coming home for a few days so I will use her for advice.

garden stuff is so expensive but I have been using Facebook marketplace for cheap versions of plants.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:54 pm

I was thinking our county extension office people would help. I don't know how they operate, but I know there are a lot of people. They used to come monthly to a radio show locally and talk about stuff. But the host of that show died a few years back and they replaced that with a political show. I went down one time and got their paperwork for a soil test. That was sent into the agriculture office at the university and we got some sort of results that made no sense to us. I took the papers back up there and they couldn't give me any information either.

Gardening is really hard down here. We have 2 seasons to grow veggies, but one season is right through the drought months and starts before it gets warm and ends when it is too warm. I am in zone 10 or right on the edge of 9B. A lot of the very beautiful things don't grow in this heat. Tropical stuff is just a different look that I'm not fond of. When we built here DH put concrete edging all around the house where it was possible but only a shallow section, so all my stuff is just in a row. That's not very aesthetically pleasing, not really "gardens". Then the fence all across the back is stark with only a small space with mulch all along it.

I had a raised garden for my veggies and it was very big. That's on the side. The wood edges rotted and DH took it away and I had him leave me a small square one. None of my seeds I put in there grew this year. I have 8 tomatoes 3 peppers and 1 squash. I could have a lot more. I had beans coming up and he dumped all the ash from the outside firepit and the beans died.

The mulberry tree makes too much shade. So I have multiple problems I don't know how to solve.

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”